Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-23-2013, 1:52 PM

Default This may sounded crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?

This may sound crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?

I recently came across a new piece of gun control related information I was not aware before. Taiwan (Aka ROC) is a small island country in the south east Asia. They have one of the strictest control law. Less than 4% of its population owns firearm according Wiki. I was surprise to discover that Taiwan requires their K-12 students to complete basic firearm training and plank off a few rounds at the range before graduating from high school.

This got me started thinking (which isn't always a good thing ). Majority of anti-2a group are made up of people that can't tell the difference between clip vs magazine, ammo vs bullet. They are getting their information from Hollywood movie, which doesn't always portraying the most accurate information. If we learn anything from civil movement in the 60s, when most of us all agreed that all man/woman are equal regardless of the skin of their color, government got involved and integrated black in the white school (Little Rock, AK). The school curriculum begun to change ensure students growing learning the all are equal concept. 50 years later, we are in a lot better place compare to where we were before.

Imagine if we can do the same with firearm. I'm talking about basic safety training, how to hold a firearm, respect the firearm but not fear it. Of course, clip vs magazine, and ammo vs bullet. 50 years later, we will have a population that no longer fear firearm as the evil black rifle, and appreciate the 2A as all do around here.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Last edited by asm_; 03-23-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Old 03-23-2013, 1:54 PM

In Vietnam, they do the same too...for all highschool kids.
Old 03-23-2013, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
This may sound crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?
Its certainly less crazy than medicating children and teens into near stupor and wondering why they have become violent, homocidal, and suicidal.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-23-2013, 2:26 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Education concerning firearms is a good thing in my book. They should bring back Eddie Eagle in public schools. It will demystify firearms for many, erode negative stereotypes, and perhaps most importantly, teach people how to use and handle safely hopefully reducing accidents.
Old 03-23-2013, 2:48 PM

I learned to shoot,
1. At School
2. In the 6th Grade
3. As an elective class
4. Shooting bolt action .22 rifles with iron sights and using shooting jacket and sling
5. Inside the school cafeteria
6. In California

And it was considered normal......

Class was sponsored by the California National Guard, and was called the California Cadet Corps.
Old 03-23-2013, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

One of the hoigh schools I attended had a shooting team. The high school in the home town my family is in has an outdoor range on school property.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 03-23-2013, 5:22 PM

I was on my high school rifle team, in Sacramento, if you can believe that.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2013, 5:28 PM

I don't think it's so much firearms training, as it is more preparing the kids for military service. I know Taiwan, South Korea, and China, all have compulsory military conscription. Then again, it's not like just because all the kids there know about firearms, that their gun control is any less strict.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
I learned to shoot,
1. At School
2. In the 6th Grade
3. As an elective class
4. Shooting bolt action .22 rifles with iron sights and using shooting jacket and sling
5. Inside the school cafeteria
6. In California

And it was considered normal......

Class was sponsored by the California National Guard, and was called the California Cadet Corps.
My experience was similar except the class was required, it took place in the school's basement rifle range, and it was Montana. (Public school btw, and urban insomuch as any place in Montana is urban). This was in the mid 90s too.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Might want to check up whether the boy scouts are sill doing it and work to get it back if it has been edged out over the years. Better chance than the PRC education system.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:00 PM

I attended high school in SAN FRANCISCO in the 80's and as part of the JROTC program we learned firearm safety and got to shoot .22 rifles in the school's basement rifle range
Old 03-23-2013, 6:03 PM

My dad and uncle were members of the shooting team they had at San Juan HS waaaaaaaay back in the day. Target shooting with .22's. Back when common sense was a lot more common. It taught them not only how to properly shoot, but the respect needed when handling firearms. Both grew up to be successful, law abiding citizens.

Last edited by BigRobb; 03-23-2013 at 6:07 PM..
Old 03-23-2013, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At Fontana high in 1991 I was in jrotc and shot my first A2 at 29 palms. 2 years later I was shooting them for real. Funny thing was everything I did was marines be jrotc and devil pups but them joined army. No wonder I graduated top 10%. I went in with head down playing I knew nothing and never volunteered. Strat Worked great
Old 03-23-2013, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea, never going to happen. We cant manage to teach the kids English and math and you want the liberal hippies to teach them about evil killing machines?

Get real..
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 03-23-2013, 6:38 PM

Did JROTC at Andrew Hill HS, learned how to properly handle a pellet rifle first then later in freshman year started firing 22 rifle. Great times. Learned how to properly handle a firearm and get down the shooting techniques and skills.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:30 PM

Yes, it is crazy. They should start in elementary.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:51 PM

Keep trying to get my wife to open a private school (non religious) so we can teach kids instead of babysit them like they do in public schools. Of course more traditional courses would be my goal. Things like firearms, auto shop, machine shop, proper history and english classes, etc.
Still trying to figure out what is required and how to get started to determine feasability.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-23-2013, 7:57 PM

in the Philippines, We have a compulsary Military Training in High School, (Junior and Senior) The Preparatory Military Training (PMT) in 1935 to 70's and Marcos changed the name to Citizen Army Training (CAT).

And in College/University, we need to take 2 years of ROTC (Basic) in order to get our Bachelor Degree. Others continue for Advance ROTC and take 2 more years or Military Training, 4 years and qualify them for OCS after they get their degree.

http://fourthyearwisdom.files.wordpr...-of-state.pptx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-23-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Great idea, never going to happen. We cant manage to teach the kids English and math and you want the liberal hippies to teach them about evil killing machines?

Get real..
Well, allow black to vote was once a crazy idea. It has to start some where.

B
Old 03-23-2013, 9:04 PM

The JROTC still exists. This type of skill is available to students who want it in most places including San Francisco who re-instated their JROTC program in ~2011.
Old 03-23-2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartFrog View Post
I was on my high school rifle team, in Sacramento, if you can believe that.
What school? Rio Americano?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 PM

If we do it with public schools it will turn into a why firearms are evil class.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikeblues7 View Post
If we do it with public schools it will turn into
a why firearms are evil class.
Public school is where it needs to be. Besides, you are assuming none of the public school teachers believe in 2A right. I'm sure there are many public school believe in 2A right. I would even venture out and say there are some right here on Calguns.

I'm proposing shifting the CA political landscape in the direction of supporting 2A in 50 years. Up until this point, we are defensive. Trying the hold the ground to protect 2A. If we do not go on offensive and try to steer the populous opinion in supporting 2A, I would not be surprise see congress entertaining the idea of removing 2A from constitution altogether in 50 years.

We need to take a proactive approach and passing down our values and believes to the next generation is the only way to ensure 2A will survive for another 100 years.

B
Old 03-24-2013, 7:14 AM

My high school in Washington state had a basement shooting range in the gym basement. Took a .22 rifle on the school bus to/from school. No big deal. A lot of the jr. high and sr. high male teachers carried handguns either open carry or kept in briefcase. Was a 10 minute process to get ccw from local sheriff.

From Sept to January, during various hunting seasons, most cars and trucks in high school parking lot had one or more shotguns or rifles tossed in the backseat or hanging on a rack in rear pickup window. No big deal.

In college (WSU, Pullman) we had a competitive ROTC rifle team on the campus, with an indoor range on the campus. The ROTC guys could bring their (operative) rifles home to the dorms for storage and cleaning. Several of the guys on my floor in my dorm had shotguns, rifles, handguns stored in their closets. Not a big deal.

How did we allow our 2A rights to be taken away?
Old 03-24-2013, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHredd9mm View Post
My high school in Washington state had a basement shooting range in the gym basement. Took a .22 rifle on the school bus to/from school. No big deal. A lot of the jr. high and sr. high male teachers carried handguns either open carry or kept in briefcase. Was a 10 minute process to get ccw from local sheriff.

From Sept to January, during various hunting seasons, most cars and trucks in high school parking lot had one or more shotguns or rifles tossed in the backseat or hanging on a rack in rear pickup window. No big deal.

In college (WSU, Pullman) we had a competitive ROTC rifle team on the campus, with an indoor range on the campus. The ROTC guys could bring their (operative) rifles home to the dorms for storage and cleaning. Several of the guys on my floor in my dorm had shotguns, rifles, handguns stored in their closets. Not a big deal.

How did we allow our 2A rights to be taken away?
I went to a seattle area highschool in WA that allowed long guns at school if they were secured in racks or similar. And another were guys did gunsmithing in shop class. That was in the late ninties. Not that long ago...
Old 03-24-2013, 7:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It used to be common place in California public schools. Funny how there were less school shootings and less firearms accidents back then. Also, a member here once posted that he took a gunsmithing class at a public school in Los Angeles and he was REQUIRED TO BRING A HANDGUN TO SCHOOL and keep it in his locker!

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-24-2013, 7:58 AM

Every boy, age 12, was given firearms training in school, in Minnesota. The all got a certificate from the state. The girls went to health class to learn about their plumbing and such. I think all kids should have basic knowledge about firearms, and learn to swim.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:02 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

It used to be very common and nobody batted an eye.

What has happened to our nation?

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 03-24-2013, 8:03 AM
JUICEBAG
CGN Contributor

Used to be the Captain of my Army JROTC rifle team...by the time I got there it was high-powered pellet guns(shot inside the classroom BTW). The "old campus" had a room dedicated to .22 marksmanship, but that was a few decades prior. This was in S. Cali, I was surprised they let us shoot pellet guns even.

Old 03-24-2013, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
I attended high school in SAN FRANCISCO in the 80's and as part of the JROTC program we learned firearm safety and got to shoot .22 rifles in the school's basement rifle range
Of course now that indoor range has been repurposed as a day care center for students' spawn, and needle exchange.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:52 AM

When I was in HS in the 80's we had a wildlife class that included hunter safety as well as cpr and first aid, there were guns and ammo in the class room.Every student learned to safely handle firearms we even had a show and tell day for students to bring there own guns to school.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:21 AM

There are 41 states that are "shall issue" which means there are 41 states that may be receptive to such a course at the high school level. If gun owners were to push for firearm related classes in those states that are receptive to second amendment rights, then perhaps we can reverse the trend where liberals fleeing dystopias (like California) infect the political bodies of other states (like Colorado and Texas).

The libs have been indoctrinating the minds of our young for more than a generation. We need to be reaching the minds of the young through school. We must enact educational standards in states controlled by conservative legislatures that teach children about our constitutional freedoms and about the founders' intent that the federal government should be a government of limited enumerated powers. It may be made difficult because of liberal unions like the NEA, but it can be done.

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993
Old 03-24-2013, 9:30 AM

Yeah, crazy...
"to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them"
Richard Henry Lee, Representative from Virginia, 1788
Old 03-24-2013, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I had an after-school marksmanship course at my school. It got me out of taking a Phy-Ed class for graduation requirements. You could also take martial arts courses in place of phy-ed classes, that was at a Local Dojo. This was late 70's -80s mind you.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM

In the early 1970's, I actually convinced the Principal at Jesuit HS in Sacramento to start a gun club. He told me that I needed a faculty member (teacher) to moderate the club. It took me a week but I found one in our chemistry teacher. So there we were, a working gun club at a Jesuit-run college prep school, with rifles, shotguns and pistols occasionally on campus, regular field trips to the Folsom Gun Club too. And not a single incident, complaint or other issue.

Yeah, times have changed.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

While it wasn't part of the curriculum a student could join the high school rifle team at my school and compete. I don't know if they still have it...probably not given the liberal wussy-fying of this country.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Forgot to mention there's a video of a Russian high school girl field stripping an AK47 (actually looks like an AK74) in what looks like a school auditorium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmfWZCY4GU
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

No way! School Districts are already cutting sports programs, arts, drivers ed, etc. Not to mention the incredible cost of liability insurance if they could even get coverage.

I think learning a firearm should be done by the parent, like sex ed. The last thing I want is my child learning about guns in an immature environment with kids making jokes. It should be taken very seriously.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM

I was taught firearm safety in P.E. class when I was in high school. I even got issued my hunting license through that class...

That was in Louisiana...

- Swamp
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM

I could see how it could vary by region. I'm in CA and I've never heard of such a thing.