Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Default Loving the Dillon Super Swage

Have no idea how ive lived without it this long. Looking back at how i used to use the chamfer tool i felt like suth a neanderthal.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

When I first started out I was using a rock chucker to swage. After about 100 pieces, I said, "Yea right, there has to be a better way."

Enter the super swage.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Just got mine and it works well.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I started with a hand cutter then a RCBS press swager. Once I bought the Dillon unit never used the others again.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:46 AM

I haven't had a chance (or a need) to open mine yet, but I'll be doing this as soon as I do.

Old 03-23-2013, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll never understand why anyone that reloads milsurp brass never buys a Dillon Super Swage. Just shell out the $100 and get it.

I bought mine back in 2005 or so because I got two 5-gallon buckets of once fired Lake City 5.56 direct from a military source and thought to myself, "No way in Hell am I going to ream over 5K pieces of brass with a hand tool."

Even though I haven't used my Super Swage since then, I still have it. It's a tool. I'll use it again eventually.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-23-2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I'll never understand why anyone that reloads milsurp brass never buys a Dillon Super Swage. Just shell out the $100 and get it.
Because using a good quality chamfer tool or reamer is faster, easier, and cheaper.
Old 03-23-2013, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
Because using a good quality chamfer tool or reamer is faster, easier, and cheaper.
On another reloading forum, one of the Dillion Lovers was complaining about having to readjust the rod because the Lake City brass was from different years and the case head thickness varied. The instructions from Dillion point out you will have to adjust it for various brass.(I checked) Yet none of the other DL's ever mention the sorting, just ram it thru.....A countersink I already owned, with a cordless drill is the way to go. No sorting, no blowing $120, fast and easy.
Old 03-23-2013, 4:36 PM

Reaming brass is a quick way to ruin primer pockets! I've seen this a lot now that people over do it... And then you end up ruining 1000 pieces of brass just because you think it's the "cheap and right way" to do things....

Spend the money and save your brass
Old 03-23-2013, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I've never been a fan of reaming primer pockets because reaming actually involves removing brass, and there's the chance of removing material such that it becomes a non-concentric primer pocket (and off-center).

I like swaging because you're simply 'swaging' the primer crimp away, yet still retaining the material in primer pocket area.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-23-2013, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've never been a fan of reaming primer pockets because reaming actually involves removing brass, and there's the chance of removing material such that it becomes a non-concentric primer pocket (and off-center).

I like swaging because you're simply 'swaging' the primer crimp away, yet still retaining the material in primer pocket area.
I agree, primer pockets loosen up soon enough anyway, better to put the brass back where it belongs than remove it.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:

The best by far is using a chamfer tool. Super fast and easy and it doesn't touch any of the metal that the primer comes in contact with when seated.

Swaging can loosen up a primer pocket, even slightly, whereas a chamfer tool has no chance of that unless you're chamfering WAY too deep.

Chamfering also makes it easier for the primer to center when seating.

Oh, it's also way faster and way cheaper.

I'm not saying the Dillon Super Swage is a bad tool, it's better than some others, but it's slow (even when modded), very expensive, and depending on your situation it can require several adjustments.

EDIT:
Oh and to the people that hate reaming, it depends on the quality of the reamer and if you're using it right. A couple turns (as in 2-3) with a reamer, centered, is all you need. Most of the youtube videos show people using reamer tools incorrectly and then they ruin their brass. If this is happening to you with a reamer i suggest buying a better reamer and/or learning to use it correctly.

Last edited by morrow; 03-23-2013 at 6:31 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM

For those of you who recently ordered a Super Swage from Dillion, what was the wait time? Going on two weeks waiting for mine now...
Old 03-24-2013, 1:02 PM
Clan of the Hunt's
CGN Contributor

I use the RCBS swager die in my Lee single stage and couldn't be happier. It doesn't matter if the LC head thicknesses change from year to year. I slap one in, press down, lift up and pull the case off. After the brass is deswagged, you won't have to use the tool on it again. Get more brass that needs swagging, then yeah I'll have to dust it off and use it one time again. Having 4k+ pieces of 556 LC brass on hand, I doubt I'll need to break out the tool for quite some time.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein