Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-22-2013, 2:41 PM

Default primers are sometimes loading backwards

I have a Dillon 550. For some reason my pickup tube seems like it is getting jambed so I have to rotate it. The problem is I loaded 38 spl today with a few backwards primers. Has anyone else had this problem? I am using the yellow pickup tube for SPP. I don't want to push down too hard on the primers because I am worried about one going off.
Old 03-22-2013, 2:44 PM

Are you *sure* they are flipping in the pickup tube?

I have a 650 and notice that the primers will flip in the primer "plate" on the seating stage if I don't have it adjusted just right. (After swapping Cals.)

Usually I adjust the primer assembly and the silver arm that extends to the case. This seems to solve the problem every time.
"The right "to carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game" is worthy of the mad hatter. Thus, these purposive qualifying phrases positively establish that "to bear arms" is not limited to military use." - Justice Scalia
-Heller v. District of Columbia
Old 03-22-2013, 2:45 PM

Ok I will try it. Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 3:11 PM

The only time that ever happened to me, was when I rushed a caliber change from 45 to 9 & forgot to change the main primer feeding tube itself. I was using the small primer pick up tubes & small primer plate, I just boned out on the main tube.
Old 03-22-2013, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAB_81 View Post
The only time that ever happened to me, was when I rushed a caliber change from 45 to 9 & forgot to change the main primer feeding tube itself. I was using the small primer pick up tubes & small primer plate, I just boned out on the main tube.
This.

Check to make sure you have the small primer magazine tube in the primer assembly. If you forget and leave the large magazine tube in the assembly, all sorts of primer feed problems arise, usually ending in destroying the plastic end to the magazine tube. The small magazine tube end piece is blue (the large primer magazine end piece is red).

Does the flipping happen with all your pickup tubes or just one? If just one, change the plastic pickup tip and try again.
Old 03-22-2013, 3:54 PM

One last thought. Make sure the tip is fully seated on the p/u tube. If not, there will be a gap that may cause the primers to jam up and turn or flip.

Speaking from experience

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 03-23-2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
One last thought. Make sure the tip is fully seated on the p/u tube. If not, there will be a gap that may cause the primers to jam up and turn or flip.

Speaking from experience

Al
^^^^been there...Done this^^^
1 John 4:15 "Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God."
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Talking this change primer tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAB_81 View Post
this change primer tube
Old 03-24-2013, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have had the same problem on both my 550 and 650. The advice above is good, but in my opinion, it just happens about 1-3 times per thousand reloads. It is annoying. It is the one thing on the Dillon presses that I do not trust 100% of the time.
Old 03-26-2013, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

It happens when there is something out of adjustment. The primer feed area takes adjustment and there is a learning curve !!! I pop the primers out slowly with eye and ear protection and reuse them for target loads.
Old 03-26-2013, 7:44 PM

Sunday you are braver than I!
I will just dispose of those rounds and take my losses.