Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Low Light Pistol Class, Saturday, April 13

This Class is a GO for this weekend. Still time to sign up!

Join us as Calgun’s teams up with Civilian Arms Training to bring you a low light pistol class.

Gun owners typically do not realize how potentially dangerous and ill-equipped one can be when it comes to self-defense in low-light or no-light scenarios. You are at a huge disadvantage when darkness prevents you from knowing what your surroundings are or what is beyond your threat.

Night shooting is probably one of the most over looked class to attend by even the most avid shooters. It doesn’t matter if you are agency personal or seasoned hunter or protecting the home, night shoots move you to the next level.

Statistically over 70% of shootings occur at night or under low light conditions. More often than not if you have not trained with your gun under low light or no light you will be seriously disadvantaged.

What to Bring:
• Pistol handgun with at least 3 mags (.22lr – 45acp acceptable)
• Weapon side thumb break retention holster – drop rigs & Serpa ok,
• Double mag carrier
• Comfortable loose fitting pants (BDU’s)
• At least 200 rounds of ammo
• Flashlight holster
• Surefire type light (Mag light ok) (limited rentals available)
• Surefire type light with Red or Green lens
• Plenty of fluids (i.e. water, Gatorade, etc.)
• Eye and ear protection
• Cold weather gear

Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013; 5:30pm – 10:30pm
Cost: $90 includes range fee. Pay the day of. Cash or Check ok. No Credit Cards, no signal at Burro to run Credit Cards.
Class size: Limited to 20 students

Please send a PM to Ricky-Ray if you want to enroll.

Enrolled
1. pennys dad
2. Em1sniper
3. soopafly

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Last edited by Ricky-Ray; 04-14-2013 at 9:51 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 3:04 PM

Default AAR

Per Ricky Ray's request I am posting this AAR that I had originally given to a friend of mine that was interested in taking the class, but couldn't make it:
Quote:
I'll say right off the bat, overall it was a good class to take. This is, however, not intended for beginning shooters. They typically do not let you take the night pistol class unless you have already taken their defensive level 1 &2 (or equivalent) pistol classes. They made a special exemption this night for Calguns members that signed up. Lucky for me, I had experience on my side, and I was able to get up to speed quickly on things that the rest of the students already knew coming in to the class. They were big on safety, and had an excellent instructor-to-student ration this night(about 10 students, 5 instructors)

The first phase of instruction was a classroom type setting where the lead instructor talked about and demo'd the different handheld light holds in conjunction with a pistol, and the names for each technique. He went over the pros and cons and had us practice the various holds with our light and a bright orange training replica pistol. He also went over all the varieties of lights, the evolution of lighting systems over the years, and pros and cons of different lights on the market today.

The second phase of instruction was on the firing line. There was no moon light tonight because of the low clouds, so it was pitch black. This phase involves the instructor calling out a drill, then the students executing said drill. Example: yell out verbal command, "DROP YOUR WEAPON!!!", 2 shots center mass, 1 shot to head, using light technique that was called out, then move a couple steps right, assess, and re-holster. The class ran many of those types of drills to practice all the hold that were taught. At this point I was using my hand held light only so I could practice what was being taught. My weapon light would be employed later.

The third phase of instruction was definitely a ton fun, but brought home my need to get into better shape =/ During the break following phase two, the team got busy setting up the course of fire for phase three. A line roughly was 35 yards was set up with various obstacles representing concealment and/or cover(walls, low barriers, etc.) for a total of about 7 shooting stations. Downrange, at distances from 15-25 yards, alternating steel and paper targets were set up. In addition, they had a moving target set up at about 5 yards. For this phase, the students lined up about 20 yards back from the course of fire. On the instructors mark, the student up runs to the first station, and using everything he/she has learned, engages the targets while trying to stay behind cover as much as possible. After the first student has moved down a couple stations, the instructor calls up the next student. This goes on until all students were able to run the course of fire twice. For these first two runs, I employed my handheld light. For the third and fourth runs, we ran the course in the opposite direction, and this time I deployed my weapon light. It was stressful, physically challenging and fun. The physically demanding parts were the running, then getting into the different shooting positions, depending on the cover set up at a particular shooting station. Mind you, I wouldn't call it a "hard workout" but if definitely got your heart rate up, to the point it made holding steady for a shot much more challenging. Also, to add to all of that, you have to employ tactical or speed reloads when the situation called for it, plus clearing malfunctions when they happened. For me, I had a magazine pop loose and drop slightly(but still in the magwell) after a round was fired. And another time, when my pistol ran dry, I depressed the mag catch and the empty mag didn't drop free. One of the instructors later showed me how to positively drop the mag free by torqueing my wrist quickly to snap the mag free.

For the last phase, it was a quick de-brief of the evenings class. Instructor overview of the material learned, and students comments afterwards. In all, the class ran from 17:30 to 22:00. It was a great deal at $90 for a class that would typically run 2 bills at other training centers. Although I did ok, I feel I should go back and take defensive pistol 1 & 2 before taking the night class again.
Full disclosure: I have been shooting for over 20 years(casual range time/plinking) but this is only the 2nd formal firearms training class I have ever taken, and the very first "tactical" training of any kind. So take this report FWIW.