Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-26-2017, 1:55 PM

Default Gas Checks Too Tight

I cast up a pile of 8mm Karabiner and Max bullets yesterday which I am planning to use to load for the Swedish 1867/89 rolling block. Well, it seems that the shank on these bullets are just a bit too large for the 8mm gas checks I got from NOE. Trying to gas check and size these bullets, more often than not the checks are all off kilter. What are the preferred methods for dealing with a situation like this?
Old 03-26-2017, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Your mold is a GC mold or a PB mold? I would consult NOE. They are good peeps.

Maybe even head over to Castboolits since they work with them. Ask the forum guys over there.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 03-26-2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
I cast up a pile of 8mm Karabiner and Max bullets yesterday which I am planning to use to load for the Swedish 1867/89 rolling block. Well, it seems that the shank on these bullets are just a bit too large for the 8mm gas checks I got from NOE. Trying to gas check and size these bullets, more often than not the checks are all off kilter. What are the preferred methods for dealing with a situation like this?
How are you trying to install them ? Have you tried pressing them on before you size ? Or as you push them up/down into the die ? ( Don't know what brand die you use for sizing , which might help us help you .)

Are they copper gas checks ? Or those newfangled aluminum ?

I have a little .22 cal mold that I need to snap the gas checks onto before they go near the sizing die . And they do snap as they are pressed on .

I set out the checks , cup up , and press , with my fingers , and snap em on . Then send through the die . Keeps them lined up.

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 03-27-2017, 5:21 AM

TRy annealing the gas checks before using them if they are copper.
Old 03-27-2017, 7:44 AM

I probably should have chosen a different subject line. I suspect that the problem is that the bullets are over size and not necessarily the checks being undersize. The gas checks are 32Cal 8MM Gator Checks (copper) from NOE (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...brosj0mu6np9d2). The bullet molds are the Lee special molds from Midsouth Shooters (https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...roduction-mold and https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...roduction-mold). I am using a Lyman 4500 lube sizer with a .325 sizing die. I tried pressing the checks on the bullets by hand, with the gas check seater fixture in the lube sizer and the usual way. I think that I need to flare the gas checks a bit before seating them on these cast bullets.

After I asked the question I noticed that NOE sells a whole series of gas check expanders (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...brosj0mu6np9d2) apparently just for such problem. I'm thinking that I might be able to achieve the same result using the shank end of an appropriately selected drill bit, pressed into the GC by hand, at least for a handful of checks.

BTW, the molds cast at least 10 grains heavier than the label suggests.

Last edited by Hinnerk; 03-27-2017 at 7:47 AM..
Old 03-27-2017, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

The swede roller 858RD bores are typically .327"-.329"

Your bullets are marginal dia and may not bump up for light loads if too hard and gas cut .

The lee.329-205 Steyr 95 bullet is more correct shot as cast .330
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
The swede roller 858RD bores are typically .327"-.329"

Your bullets are marginal dia and may not bump up for light loads if too hard and gas cut .

The lee.329-205 Steyr 95 bullet is more correct shot as cast .330
I have slugged the bore of this rifle and it comes up .325 each time. The throat, however, is long and tapered as verified by chamber cast. The 8mm Max bullet looks like a good fit but time will tell. Actually, it seems that my sizing die is a bit over. My micrometer was showing bullet diameter at .326 after sizing. All the better, if so.
Old 03-27-2017, 5:44 PM

Well, I whipped together a quick and dirty gas check expander tool out of a piece of drill rod that I tapered and polished (without polishing, the checks would not come off easily after expanding). Here is a picture of the tool with two of the 8mm Max bullets and one 8mm Karabiner after crimping checks and sizing. With this tool, however, the checks would not stick on the base of the bullets. It is probably expanding them too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expander.jpg (53.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 7:29 AM

Have you mic'd the outer diameter of the check after running it through the sizer? If it is much larger than your .326 then the metal is springing back too much.
Also, what is OD of the bullet's chank vs the ID of the gas check (before and after you expanded it)?
Finally, what is the OD of the bullet shank vs the ID of the shank in the mold?
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?

Last edited by jcourson; 03-28-2017 at 7:32 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

you make yourself a gas check seater.

You make two disks of aluminum, rabbet one to next into the other. Then you bore the first one open just barely big enough to slip an 8mm bullet into, and put a lip on the backside JUST big enough so a gas check sits in there.

take your disk, plop a gas check in there, plop a bullet in the other side, nest it into your base, and whack the top using an aluminum punch. That seats the gas check fully every time. Then push through your LEE sizing die to crimp in place.

It also makes the gas check 100% perfectly perpendicular to the bearing surface of the bullet which is a nice bonus if you are shooting farther than 50 yards.