Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-11-2017, 8:13 PM

Default build my own snap caps?

hi, Guys,

I am thinking about build my own snap caps so I can do some 'dry fire' practice as suggested here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?t=1319248; and have a few 'good' rounds for comparison to help address this problem: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1329587

while following all the process to prepare the brass, I certainly won't put any powder in it. I am wondering whether:
1) just not put a primer in and just sit a bullet
2) put a primer in and sit a bullet, and dry fire it in a range?
or
3) only resize the brass but no de-primer, but I don't think I can trim with primer in

btw, I did a search in this forum about building snap caps, but didn't find a related topic. a bit surprise.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidm View Post
hi, Guys,

I am thinking about build my own snap caps so I can do some 'dry fire' practice as suggested here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?t=1319248; and have a few 'good' rounds for comparison to help address this problem: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1329587

while following all the process to prepare the brass, I certainly won't put any powder in it. I am wondering whether:
or
3) only resize the brass but no de-primer, but I don't think I can trim with primer in

btw, I did a search in this forum about building snap caps, but didn't find a related topic. a bit surprise.
What caliper? For handgun I would clean, resize, seat bullet, and crimp. I would leave an old primer in there to stop the firing pin from over extending.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
AK Sporter Stock, Handguard, Gas Tube here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1275603
Old 05-11-2017, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Get some nylon plugs the same size as a primer. Resize and reload using plug and no powder = snap cap.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I've not tried it but I've heard of people using a pencil eraser in the primer pocket. Someone also mentioned filling the primer pocket with silicon calk. I have no idea if these would work but it might be worth trying.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer74 View Post
What caliper? For handgun I would clean, resize, seat bullet, and crimp. I would leave an old primer in there to stop the firing pin from over extending.
308. I need to look at my trimmer. not sure whether it works if I don't deprimer
Old 05-11-2017, 8:43 PM

I just bought some. Cheap compared with the cost of live ammunition, though in my .30-06 the feed differently than live ammo. More importantly, there's no mistaking them for live ammo.

If you make your own, I think it's absolutely essential that you be able to readily able to distinguish them from live round without having to look at what's in the primer pocket. My store bought snap caps are dark red and look nothing like my live ammunition, which has either brass or dark grey steel cases and copper bullets.
Old 05-11-2017, 9:49 PM

This guy makes great dummy rounds (drills a hole through the case), here is the method he recommends to make a dry fire cartridge; http://www.dummybullet.com/hot%20glue%20primer.html
Old 05-12-2017, 4:13 AM

Leave the old primer and put a bullet in. Silicone sealer where the primer goes will work also.
Do NOT put a bullet and live primer! You could squib the barrel and blow it up.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 7:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
hi, Guys,

or

Honestly. There is more than just that to a snapcap. I always tell folks to just buy some A-Zoom snap caps and be DONE with it. They are fully aluminum with a hard piece of rubber where the primer sits. So no matter HOW many times you rack it, there will NEVER be any bullet setback. They are very close if not spot on with saami specs AND they are colored so it is not easy to mix them up with regular ammo.

The only snapcaps I would make are .22lr snapcaps and you can simply go buy some #xx wall anchors for a buck or two and get a whole 2 dozen+ of those. I forgot the size, but there are certain wall anchors that fit into .22lr perfectly. I do have some loose in my bag. They are cheap enough to be able to replace them every 30+ times you use one.

As a reloader we like to be cheap and make our tools, but yeah, A-Zoom nailed this one. Just go buy them and do not give yourself any headaches.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 05-12-2017, 7:50 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

one tip: glue the bullets into place, otherwise you'll get setback from repeated chamberings.
Old 05-12-2017, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had to make .223 snap caps, my 700 LTR will not extract A-Zoom's or any other snap cap but works fine any brass case.
Old 05-12-2017, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

you can also weigh your loaded rounds.

then fill the your dummy rd with sand to get close to your loaded rds weight.
Old 05-12-2017, 5:57 PM

I found an O-ring about the size of the primer pocket, sliced a short section off with an exacto knife and super glued it in place:

I also cross drill the dummies so it is obvious that they are inert.

Dan
Old 05-12-2017, 6:20 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Honestly. There is more than just that to a snapcap. I always tell folks to just buy some A-Zoom snap caps and be DONE with it. They are fully aluminum with a hard piece of rubber where the primer sits. So no matter HOW many times you rack it, there will NEVER be any bullet setback. They are very close if not spot on with saami specs AND they are colored so it is not easy to mix them up with regular ammo.
This.

Home-made dummy rounds are an ND waiting to happen. They look like live rounds... too easy to grab a live round or get one mixed in.
If you paint the dummies, you foul the chamber.

Quote:
The only snapcaps I would make are .22lr snapcaps and you can simply go buy some #xx wall anchors for a buck or two and get a whole 2 dozen+ of those. I forgot the size, but there are certain wall anchors that fit into .22lr perfectly. I do have some loose in my bag. They are cheap enough to be able to replace them every 30+ times you use one.
Hillman 4-6-8x7/8" H# 370326 box of 100
I think I paid $5 or $10 on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-12-2017, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
This.

Home-made dummy rounds are an ND waiting to happen. They look like live rounds... too easy to grab a live round or get one mixed in.
If you paint the dummies, you foul the chamber.

Hillman 4-6-8x7/8" H# 370326 box of 100
I think I paid $5 or $10 on Amazon.
Exactly, are you really that cheap. You are going to put something that looks 90% like a bullet and then dry fire practice.

Rule number 1 of dry fire practice is REMOVE ALL AMMO FROM THE ROOM.

Preferably use a room that never has ammo in it.

Because "Oh it's ok those right there are my home made snap caps I'll just put them in my pocket until we are ready."

"Oh Hi sweets welcome home" What the dog is out?, I'll be right there."

"Ok glad I can help, I an going to dry fire practice now"

Lets see where did I put those snap caps?, Oh yes I can see one on the LCI, I'm good to go"

Is gonna happen sooner or later.

There are reasons snap caps are usually bright colored plastic.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 05-12-2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Is gonna happen sooner or later.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

OP! I'll tell ya what, PM me your address and I'll gift you a package of Azooms for your rifle. I have them for all of my center fire rifles and my shotgun. Cheap compared with the cost of ammo and even cheaper insurance against a preventable accident.
Old 05-13-2017, 4:20 PM

I have to agree with the others about an ND waiting to happen. How many times have you seen mainly live 9mm subgun ammo with hard primers and a firing pin strike on it laying on the ground? Many of those rounds WILL fire if they get hit one more time by a firing pin. Home made snap caps look just like a live subgun round with a firing pin strike. Murphy's law kicks in and one of those gets mixed in with your snap cap.

That being said, I did have to teach a class short notice that required snap caps. I did what Bergmen did and I drilled 2 holes in the cases to ensure it was obvious and I did a full shake down of personnel, clothing and equipment for live ammo before having every soldier examine the home made snap caps and identify the holes drilled in the cases.

After the class, I tossed all of them and ordered snap caps.

On top of all, the amount of time it took to make them with the hole drilling, which made a couple unusable because they wouldn't chamber, my time was way more valuable then buying snap caps.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

HAR!

I am starting to think that if we sort of tried, we could prolly accomplish some Darpa-Hard things too...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 05-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

We spent a ton of money on our firearms, so shouldn't we spend just a few extra dollars on Azooms?
Old 05-14-2017, 3:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I take an old mouse pad and cut squares abour 3/8 inch and just fit those between the hammer and the firing pin...protects everything from metal on metal...they are free and just simple....I use them in all my revolvers (both single and double action) and my semi auto's....for rifles I get the commercial brand that are correct...red...and don't get mixed up.
Old 05-14-2017, 4:30 PM

well, always better safe than sorry. However, after prepare most of my brass, I cannot resist it but make a few of the snap caps, with hot glue to fill the primer hole, and permanent marker to avoid mixed up with live round.

It doesn't cost me much time as everything already setup. The marker works well to diff with live ammo.

I will give a few tryout to see how the color stays with the wear and tear. worse case, I will just throw them away in range

Old 05-14-2017, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Default Good tip...

This....
Quote:
well, always better safe than sorry. However, after prepare most of my brass, I cannot resist it but make a few of the snap caps, with hot glue to fill the primer hole, and permanent marker to avoid mixed up with live round.

It doesn't cost me much time as everything already setup. The marker works well to diff with live ammo.

I will give a few tryout to see how the color stays with the wear and tear. worse case, I will just throw them away in range

John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-14-2017, 5:03 PM

Nidm....I do just what you did. I put a few holes in the body using a drill press, debur the holes and coat the bullet black.

Not going to mistake them for live rounds.

Like others have stated, live rounds are not in the same place as the dummy rounds. My live ones are in the safe/gun, I eject all live rounds, and get to the dummies in the garage.
Old 05-14-2017, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
Nidm....I do just what you did. I put a few holes in the body using a drill press, debur the holes and coat the bullet black.

Not going to mistake them for live rounds.

Like others have stated, live rounds are not in the same place as the dummy rounds. My live ones are in the safe/gun, I eject all live rounds, and get to the dummies in the garage.
You ever found a live round somewhere you didn't expect? We were shopping for shoes at Big 5.

Total stranger comes up to me and hands me a 9mm Ranger T. "Your Wife dropped this"

I come home with loose rounds in my pocket a lot. If wife decided to help me out and put them in the den with the blue ones...

We here stories of dry fire gone bad all the time. You are stacking the odds against you to save a few bucks

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?

Last edited by 71MUSTY; 05-14-2017 at 5:29 PM..
Old 05-14-2017, 5:33 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
You ever found a live round somewhere you didn't expect? We were shopping for shoes at Big 5.

Total stranger comes up to me and hands me a 9mm Ranger T. "Your Wife dropped this"

I come home with loose rounds in my pocket a lot. If wife decided to help me out and put them in the den with the blue ones...

We here stories of dry fire gone bad all the time. You are stacking the odds against you to save a few bucks
Bingo.

And with the hole drilling, the problem isn't that you need to be able to easily identify the dummies, the problem is that you need to be able to quickly, easily, and naturally identify the live rounds.

Color is going to be the easiest way, and a color that is starkly different from the natural brass/steel of live rounds.
The blue marker is cool, but it's going to wear off quickly.
Even with holes drilled, we are not in the habit of feeling for the lack of holes on live rounds, so you are not going to be in the habit of verifying that there ARE holes in the dummies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-15-2017, 8:10 AM

Quote:
The blue marker is cool, but it's going to wear off quickly...
yeah. that is the problem. Otherwise, the self-make snap cap would serve the same as the AZoom ones.
Old 05-15-2017, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

If you don't reload nickle, they might be a good choice for dummies.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 05-15-2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
...Home-made dummy rounds are an ND waiting to happen. They look like live rounds... too easy to grab a live round or get one mixed in....
Not really if one is consistent. I use dummy rounds for reload practice. Blue bullets for dummy rounds, green bullets for match rounds and red bullets for practice.

Here is a pic.
Old 05-15-2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post

Nope! Never in my 30 years of shooting have I found a round in a pocket or any other place unexpected. I am not in a habit of putting rounds where they don't belong.(Not knocking you for putting them in your pocket).

As I said in my first post, live rounds are not in the same room as dummy rounds. If I need to use a dummy round I do so where I store them, in the garage. Separate from the live rounds.

I am fully aware of what my dummy rounds look like and I could not mistake them for live rounds if I paid any kind of attention to what I am doing.

I hope this does not come across as disparaging what you said(meaning is lost in text), I get your concern. I do have a method that keeps it safe!
Old 05-15-2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
Nope! Never in my 30 years of shooting have I found a round in a pocket or any other place unexpected. I am not in a habit of putting rounds where they don't belong...
Lucky you. I had put a round in my pocket I guess after I unloaded and showed clear in a competition. Forgot to take it out. My maid washed the pants and put them in the dresser without finding the round. I packed it up to fly to Denver. John Wayne TSA did not find it on my carry on on the way out. However, the Denver TSA did on the way back. I left the round with them to dispose of.