Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-10-2015, 7:36 AM

Default 2nd wet tumble dull brass

So i washed some 223 brass and they came out like new. Lubed and sized them and rewashed but they came out a dull brass color. Even with more lemishine and multiple washes. Any ideas to get em bling again?
Old 05-10-2015, 7:48 AM

You may need to clean your media, happens to me every now and then. I tumble without any brass for a bit and rinse the pins really well. I've heard of using simple green but have yet to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
We must be on calguns...
Old 05-10-2015, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectric03 View Post
You may need to clean your media, happens to me every now and then. I tumble without any brass for a bit and rinse the pins really well. I've heard of using simple green but have yet to try it.
^^^^^^^ a good rinse and only a sprinkle of lemishine. when you rewash the brass a second time I think its actually the lube your rinsing off that dulls the brass.
I myself actually give the brass a 30 minute rinse and then dry. then put it in a regular vibrating tumbler with fine walnut shells and Nufinish mixed in. comes out like new.

Last edited by baih777; 05-10-2015 at 7:57 AM..
Old 05-10-2015, 8:04 AM

I do a 3 hour wet tumble with a squirt of Dawn and Stilly's big SS pins, 3 hours not because it needs 3 hours but because the timer on my tumbler goes to 3 hours, then an hour in the dehydrator to dry it and then straight into the dry tumbler while they're still hot for a two hour dry tumble in corn cob with NU Finish. Besides cleaner then new brass that wax keeps them shiny long time. Probably acts as a lube as well for the seating and crimping dies. Been doing it this way for a couple of months now and the brass is still shiny and when I open a box of loaded cartridges that I loaded a couple of months ago I can still smell the Nu Finish. Stuff is supposed to last a year on the car, in the sun so I imagine it'll last a long time on the brass.
Old 05-11-2015, 5:43 AM

awesome. thanks guys
Old 05-11-2015, 5:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
So i washed some 223 brass and they came out like new. Lubed and sized them and rewashed but they came out a dull brass color. Even with more lemishine and multiple washes. Any ideas to get em bling again?
lemishine is an acid; I think it can cause tarnish. I gave up using it since my brass always came out dull after using it. Sometimes there was a time delay though. Would come out of the tumbler good but two days later be brown.

Now I just use walnut with a dash of nufinish and lots of time. Tumble for 8-10 hours in that and it will look like you did stainless pins.... nufisnish will put an air barrier on the brass to slow down tarnish. Will also compensate some, as a lube, for the fact the really clean brass is more likely to want to stick in the chamber or resizer (on the next reload)...

Last edited by sl0re10; 05-11-2015 at 5:53 AM..
Old 05-13-2015, 9:17 AM

Are you using Redding Imperial or Case Neck Dry lube?
Old 05-13-2015, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt81 View Post
Are you using Redding Imperial or Case Neck Dry lube?
Hornady One Shot
Old 05-13-2015, 9:19 AM

Another thing about lemishine is you need to let the reactions take their course.

You can't get away with using lemishine and wet tumbling for less than 2 hours, even if your brass is shiny and you just want to get lube off. Wipe the cases off by hand or tumble for 2 hours +.
Old 05-13-2015, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Another thing about lemishine is you need to let the reactions take their course.

You can't get away with using lemishine and wet tumbling for less than 2 hours, even if your brass is shiny and you just want to get lube off. Wipe the cases off by hand or tumble for 2 hours +.
Brass was dull even after tumbling for 3hrs bro
Old 05-13-2015, 9:26 AM

Then Hornady one shot must be doing the same thing Redding Dry Lube did to me.

Just keep tumbling and changing the water every few hours. They'll eventually all get clean except for the case neck. Then dry them in an oven at either 190 or 195 degrees for 30 minutes or whatever time you've found works. When you take the brass out and it's nice and hot, go ahead and wipe off any remaining nastiness.
Old 05-13-2015, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Then Hornady one shot must be doing the same thing Redding Dry Lube did to me.

Just keep tumbling and changing the water every few hours. They'll eventually all get clean except for the case neck. Then dry them in an oven at either 190 or 195 degrees for 30 minutes or whatever time you've found works. When you take the brass out and it's nice and hot, go ahead and wipe off any remaining nastiness.
I'll try that. Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can't just rinse out the tumbler. You have to get all the liquid out of the cases also and rinse the pins.

Second, I mean third time. Fill half way with brass. Fill with water one inch above brass. Add small squirt of soap. Add small SPRINKLE of lemishine. Too much lemishine and it will dull the brass.