Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-17-2013, 4:43 PM

Default CA approved lock - 30 day receipt rule

Dear All - I purchased a long arm a long long time ago. It came with a CA approved locking device. Now I am doing a PPT of that arm, to another. Apparently the approved locking device that came with that arm when first purchased is no longer sufficient, because it is more than 30 days old. CA law requires an "original receipt" that is < 30 days old to accompany an existing CA approved safety device. WHAT EXACTLY DOES "ORIGINAL RECEIPT" MEAN? Can I sell the buyer the locking device separately, provide him with a receipt (like a Craigslist deal) and then "voila" the purchaser now meets the requirements of the law? Or no, because "original" has some special legal meaning to it?
Old 03-17-2013, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The buyer is responsible for the lock not seller. Give him a receipt for lock separate. It probably won't work. Or go to store buy a lock and return after transaction. Since it is a long gun if he has a gun safe then he just has to sign affidavit of ownership of approved gunsafe.
Old 03-17-2013, 4:52 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

The buyer need to buy a new lock. My last gun buy I stopped by Walmart and got one for 5.00+ and was good to go.
Old 03-17-2013, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ask your local police station if they give tham away and ask for a reciept.
CHP sometimes has them. I asked for a bunch of them a few years ago and they gave them to me.
Old 03-17-2013, 5:19 PM

I just go to walmart and rent them for a day. Just return it after you're done. I heard that the sheriff will give them to you, but the person giving it to you needs to sign a business card and date it.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:29 PM

I always have my wife sell me one for $1 with a receipt that is dated, no problems yet.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsig View Post
I always have my wife sell me one for $1 with a receipt that is dated, no problems yet.
^
Old 03-17-2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCream View Post
Dear All - I purchased a long arm a long long time ago. It came with a CA approved locking device. Now I am doing a PPT of that arm, to another. Apparently the approved locking device that came with that arm when first purchased is no longer sufficient, because it is more than 30 days old. CA law requires an "original receipt" that is < 30 days old to accompany an existing CA approved safety device. WHAT EXACTLY DOES "ORIGINAL RECEIPT" MEAN? Can I sell the buyer the locking device separately, provide him with a receipt (like a Craigslist deal) and then "voila" the purchaser now meets the requirements of the law? Or no, because "original" has some special legal meaning to it?
There has to be a safety device provided whenever a firearm is transferred by a dealer. For a PPT, the safety device can be provided by the seller at the time the firearm is given to the dealer, or the buyer can supply it at pick up. If the buyer supplies the safety device, there also has to be evidence that the safety device was purchased within the last 30 days.

There is no date requirement for a safety device provided by the seller at the time of transfer.
Old 03-17-2013, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My last ppt transfer I had to buy a lock. The place didn't care that I brought in a new one. So just spend the $10 for a lock. Keep your receipt and return it later. I already had a lock so that is why I returned the one I bought. If you don't have a lock you might want to keep it.
Old 03-17-2013, 8:25 PM

When I purchased my handgun last month from my LGS they said I either had to provide a lock with receipt or purchase one. I ended up buying one from them. Is that right? I would have thought since I was buying a brand new gun from them it would come with a lock.
Old 03-17-2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsig View Post
how does that work? does she own a store or are you just printing a receipt from home?
Old 03-17-2013, 8:33 PM

buy one at Wallyworld and then after transfer take it back...
Old 03-17-2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedsteel View Post
how does that work? does she own a store or are you just printing a receipt from home?
a hand written receipt is still a receipt
Old 03-17-2013, 9:12 PM

put your old lock on the firearm when you do the PPT. It will be sufficient if you are providing the lock with the firearm to the buyer. Do NOT give the lock to the buyer and expect him to be able to legally use it when he/she returns 10 days later. Ask me how I know....(eyes rolling).
Old 03-17-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCream View Post
CA law requires an "original receipt" that is < 30 days old to accompany an existing CA approved safety device.
Unless things changed while I wasn't looking, "original" either doesn't appear in the law or doesn't mean what you think it means. A handwritten receipt for $1 with a date on it is sufficient. I did this with a dealer one time, and he called the DOJ to make sure it was ok.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Here is how I handle locks. Of course not all dealers agree.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=254024

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation