Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-15-2013, 1:14 PM

Default Magnifier for Bushnell TRS-25 ??

I'm looking for a magnifier for my TRS-25. One that flips to the side when not in use. I'm being told that I need to get one that specifically works with the Bushnell and it can't be any magnifier or else it won't focus right? What magnifier do those of you who have the TRS-25 use? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2013, 1:36 PM

First off, you'll need a mount for the TRS-25. Try this: http://www.alamofourstar.com/compone...3c3a8c849c.jpg

I have used that mount and love it.

Then, you'll need a magnifier that will work. Try this one: http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_A..._p/pa3xdlx.htm

I have not used that specific magnifier. I use this one: http://www.cstactical.com/optics/red...magnifier.html

It's a lot more. I use that with the Vortex StrikeFire, which I love.

Okay, next, you'll need a magnifier mount that will work with that magnifier. Check this out: http://www.voodootactical.net/p-1790...nd-optics.aspx

Got a buddy that loved that thing. It's getting harder to find. It's not a flip to the side mount, but is adjustable and can be adjusted to work with just about any red dot out there.

Good luck. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-15-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
First off, you'll need a mount for the TRS-25. Try this: http://www.alamofourstar.com/compone...3c3a8c849c.jpg

Then, you'll need a magnifier that will work. Try this one: http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_A..._p/pa3xdlx.htm

I have not used that specific magnifier. I use this one: http://www.cstactical.com/optics/red...magnifier.html

Okay, next, you'll need a magnifier mount that will work with that magnifier. Check this out: http://www.voodootactical.net/p-1790...nd-optics.aspx

Got a buddy that loved that thing. It's getting harder to find. It's not a flip to the side mount, but is adjustable and can be adjusted to work with just about any red dot out there.

I actually already have the TRS-25 mounted on a .83" riser. It looks like the Primary Arms magnifier has an option to add a standard height flip to side mount. That should work I assume?
Old 03-15-2013, 2:59 PM

So the Primary Arm's website gives an option to add a " flip to side TALL mount " or " flip to side STANDARD " height. Which one will I need considering I have the TRS-25 mounted on a riser?

Old 03-15-2013, 3:48 PM

A tall mount will likely be your best option, but I cannot say for sure because I do not know the height of the UTG mount or the Primary Arms flip mount. That's why my buddy swore by the Mako Adjustable Mount. You can set it to where you need it and it has 11 predetermined height settings so you can remember which setting works for which optic set-up. The tall mount should work. All else fails, you may need to do some trial and error. See, when I ordered my Vortex StrikeFire and Vortex 3X Magnifier, I knew exactly what mounts to use: American Defense (AD68H & AD68C). For your project, it's going to be a bit more guess work and just trying out what's going to work or not. Good luck! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-19-2013, 1:26 PM

Just a thought, but maybe a conventional scope with a red dot on a 45' mount would be a better option.
Red dots will not be as precise at magnification as a scope and the magnifier will add just the same weight.
I have a red dot with a magnifier (vortex strikefire and Primary arms 3x magnifier on QD american Defense mounts) onmy AR carbine. It is satisfactory, but expensive.
On my mini 30 i have the TRS 25 on a 45' mount up forward and a leatherwood extended eye relief 2-7x scope on the top rail. This is every bit as fast aquisition and MUCH more precise. Not to mention it was about 1/2 the price.
Just another option for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
So the Primary Arm's website gives an option to add a " flip to side TALL mount " or " flip to side STANDARD " height. Which one will I need considering I have the TRS-25 mounted on a riser?
Shoot PA an email or pm Marshall or Demitri here on calguns. They'll help you out.

Most likely, you'll need the tall mount if your UTG/TRS-25 set-up is giving you a 1/3 co-witness; the standard mount if your set-up is an absolute CW.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewreck View Post
Shoot PA an email or pm Marshall or Demitri here on calguns. They'll help you out.

Most likely, you'll need the tall mount if your UTG/TRS-25 set-up is giving you a 1/3 co-witness; the standard mount if your set-up is an absolute CW.
So wouldn't I be able to remove the UTG and mount the TRS25 directly on the rail and then use a standard height mount for the magnifier?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So wouldn't I be able to remove the UTG and mount the TRS25 directly on the rail and then use a standard height mount for the magnifier?
By "Standard" they mean "Absolute Co-Witness".

Without a mount it would nearly be impossible to get a comfortable cheek weld and still be able to see through the TRS-25 mounted on a flattop AR.

On an AK or Mini 14 you wouldn't need a mount.

William G. McAdoo
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
By "Standard" they mean "Absolute Co-Witness".

Without a mount it would nearly be impossible to get a comfortable cheek weld and still be able to see through the TRS-25 mounted on a flattop AR.

On an AK or Mini 14 you wouldn't need a mount.
Ahh ok. Well my setup is a 1/3 co witness so I guess I will order the tall mount. Only thing that threw me off is that it said " for Eotech only " with the tall mount.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ahh ok. Well my setup is a 1/3 co witness so I guess I will order the tall mount. Only thing that threw me off is that it said " for Eotech only " with the tall mount.
Yeah, that would confuse me too- some EoTechs are absolute and others are 1/3.

I'm 99% sure you'd need the "Tall", but for peace of mind, it might be a good idea to email or pm them. They're really good at responding quickly. Their CS is one of the main reasons they have such loyal customers.

Please excuse me if I'm being presumptuous, but just incase we're having a misunderstanding I've attached a graphic explanation of the two co-witness types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg url.jpg (18.7 KB, 54 views)

William G. McAdoo
Old 03-20-2013, 7:18 PM

How is the return to zero on those alamo four star mounts? Did you have a chance to test it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post

Old 03-20-2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that would confuse me too- some EoTechs are absolute and others are 1/3.

I'm 99% sure you'd need the "Tall", but for peace of mind, it might be a good idea to email or pm them. They're really good at responding quickly. Their CS is one of the main reasons they have such loyal customers.

Please excuse me if I'm being presumptuous, but just incase we're having a misunderstanding I've attached a graphic explanation of the two co-witness types.
Thanks for the photo! Turns out I actually have a absolute cowitness, NOT a 1/3 cowitness.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus45c View Post
How is the return to zero on those alamo four star mounts? Did you have a chance to test it?
No problem whatsoever. It's a rock solid mount. No shift in zero that I can notice. I highly recommend the mount. --1911ShooterPhil