Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM

Default Ruger Scout Cerakoted Camo

Just got my Ruger Scout delivered tonight. A local guy in Escondido did the Cerakote job for me.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

awesome! looks amazing!

Old 03-14-2013, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

thats sexy.
Old 03-14-2013, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

did he bake the finish on the stock and scope too?
Old 03-14-2013, 8:20 PM

That is soooo sick!!! Great job

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Yes everything was Cerakoted in H-Series heat cure Cerakote, and I mean everything even the screws and pins ..... just the inside of the chamber, inside of the barrel, firing pin assembly, bipod springs and scope len caps were not Cerakoted (yes the entire bolt and bolt face was Cerakoted).

Desert Sand, Coyote Tan and MagPul Flat Dark Earth (Coyote Tan is the primary color).

FYI the stock was the laminated wood stock so yes Cerakote sticks to anything.

Those that will ask I have developed a way to fully cure the heat cured H-Series Cerakote at very low temps for Scopes. The reason for using the heat cured Cerakote is because it is about 35% harder and more durable than the air cured Cerakote.

Thank you all for the compliments I appreciate it.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 03-14-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM

looks good
Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks great! Much better than stock.
Old 03-15-2013, 8:24 PM
Banned

Location: Looking intently through my scope, slowing my breath.

What would be the charge for a job like that? I would want a "forest camo" look, with dark green, browns, blacks, tans and light greens...maybe a smidge of orange,

similar to this scope mount:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130668872353...84.m1423.l2649
Old 03-16-2013, 2:00 AM

That scope mount is either a stick on pattern or a hydro grapic .... I do not do those.

The rifle pictured in this post doing the rifle, scope and bipod in the 3 colors would be $575.00 but if you are talking doing 5 colors the rifle itself would be $510.00 and $175.00 for each accessory (scope, bipod).

So while I can do a similar camo pattern I would not be using a air brush to make trees and the such, I am not a artist for painting real life objects.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:29 PM
Banned

Have a guy up here in Nor cal that will cerakote two solid colors and camo three colors for 150 with gun broken down or 200 to break down for you. 100 and 125 for handguns. Thanks anyways.
Old 03-17-2013, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

I really like that look. This may be my next purchase
Old 03-17-2013, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have heard of guys using it on synthetic stocks... at low temp for more time. Good to know.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Yea but scopes are a bit tricker because alot of them are gas charged now with rubber o-rings so just sticking them in a oven at low temp like for plastics can still cause problems.

Silentarrow:

WOW that is interesting because at those prices he would be the cheapest Cerakote applicator in the entire U.S.A.. In fact those prices are cheaper than Duracoat applicators, heck maybe even cheaper than the Krylon applicators as well.

Does he use Heat Cured Cerakote (35% harder than air cured)?

Does he sand blast the entire surface or just a fast scotch brite? (Cerakote will flake of peel off after a few months or few hundred rounds if not preped correctly)

Is he a licenced and trained gunsmith that can fully disassemble and reassemble the entire firearm and function test it?

Does he coat all of the internal parts as well?

Does he provide free pickup and delivery to customer's home/business?

Does he provide a 3 year warranty against defects and corrosion?

Is he a Factory Certified Cerakote Applicator?

Just asking because you get what you pay for any anyone charging $150.00 for a 3 color camo on a entire rifle using a high end coating while everyone else in the U.S.A. charges around double that has to make you think.

or maybe you just trolling thinking you can advertise your or your buddies business ..... name the name of this business in NorCAl and I will start sending my stuff to him at those prices.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 03-18-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 4:59 PM
Banned

Thank you for your implied sarcasm. He is a private party, gunsmith skills, no business. Side jobs word of mouth type thing. I've personally seen his work on 1911 pistols. Beautiful work. Additionally, for your price, you could get an entire 100 +/- square FEET of an AUTOMOBILE painted, not sure why you'd charge that much to paint 100 MAX square INCHES of a firearm......just sayin.......
Old 03-18-2013, 5:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
Thank you for your implied sarcasm. He is a private party, gunsmith skills, no business. Side jobs word of mouth type thing. I've personally seen his work on 1911 pistols. Beautiful work. Additionally, for your price, you could get an entire 100 +/- square FEET of an AUTOMOBILE painted, not sure why you'd charge that much to paint 100 MAX square INCHES of a firearm......just sayin.......
Additionally, your paint job is worth equal to or more than the rifle itself? I'm not so sure, just asking here. (to the moderators I'm certain this guy will report me to, I mean no disrespect and reserve my right to speak freely under the 1st Constitutional Amendment, as a free United States citizen, and will not tolerate any "infractions" or "punishment" for reserving these God given rights.)
Old 03-18-2013, 6:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
Yea but scopes are a bit tricker because alot of them are gas charged now with rubber o-rings so just sticking them in a oven at low temp like for plastics can still cause problems.

Silentarrow:

WOW that is interesting because at those prices he would be the cheapest Cerakote applicator in the entire U.S.A.. In fact those prices are cheaper than Duracoat applicators, heck maybe even cheaper than the Krylon applicators as well.

Does he use Heat Cured Cerakote (35% harder than air cured)?

Does he sand blast the entire surface or just a fast scotch brite? (Cerakote will flake of peel off after a few months or few hundred rounds if not preped correctly)

Is he a licenced and trained gunsmith that can fully disassemble and reassemble the entire firearm and function test it?

Does he coat all of the internal parts as well?

Does he provide free pickup and delivery to customer's home/business?

Does he provide a 3 year warranty against defects and corrosion?

Is he a Factory Certified Cerakote Applicator?

Just asking because you get what you pay for any anyone charging $150.00 for a 3 color camo on a entire rifle using a high end coating while everyone else in the U.S.A. charges around double that has to make you think.

or maybe you just trolling thinking you can advertise your or your buddies business ..... name the name of this business in NorCAl and I will start sending my stuff to him at those prices.

I'd very much like for you to have the same conversation with the guys on this website forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_19/371093_.html
Old 03-18-2013, 9:50 PM

Why would I???

The post if asking about pistol costs not the cost on rifles, and almost everyone stated that $175.00 for a entire pistol in one color is reasonable ..... I charge $160.00 including internal parts coated and disassemble/reassemble and pickup/delivery. The shipping cost to and from a applicator alone would be $100.00 to $180.00 dollars for handguns. Almost every applicator charges extra for those services and no one offer free shipping let alone free pickup and delivery.

Hey if you want to send a rifle that costs $1000.00 to some guy working out of his garage with no business license, no insurance, no certification, no Federal or State licenses and provides no warranty to stand by his work you have the "right" and "freedom" to do so.

Basically you are comparing apples to airplanes ..... not really a fair match up.

You want to name a Certified Cerakote Applicator that does the same work on a RIFLE for that low of a price please list them. I know you won't because I have researched a lot of the prices across the U.S. to see if my labor time calculations were correct for the prices I came out with.

Just a FYI the Rough Gear Review rifle you see in this post took a total of 8 labor hours to complete. That is actual time spent on working on the rifle and accessories ... not sitting around waiting for the finish to cure.

Anyone that is a serious gunsmith or applicator ....even working from their home... would take the time and trouble to setup a proper business with the proper licenses and insurance.

Ok enough time spent on that you can advertise your buddy on some other forums if you wish.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 03-18-2013 at 9:55 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM

Great job on the rifle gunsmith dan!
IBFP.

Last edited by Jazeronthelaser; 03-18-2013 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: CorrectiOn
Old 03-22-2013, 6:42 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

I like it, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 PM

No Problem and thanks to RGR for posting the picture ...... because someone forgot to take a picture before giving it to the customer
Old 04-01-2013, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Looks great!