Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-12-2013, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default M&P 15-22 Promag 10rd Mags

Just a heads up. I am picking up my new MP15-22 this week, and have been reading how additional mags are practically nonexistent for it these days. I went to the Promag site, big red letters that hi-cap mag orders are 6 weeks+ now. I decided to get the ball rolling and placed my order. $16.58 each. Got this today:

Hello Shawn,Your order has shipped. (Order#: XXXXX placed on*03/08/2013)

Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket? Actually just wanted to let anyone looking for 10rd mags that they seem to be available out there at least at this point in time.

Cheers!

Last edited by Shawndiver; 03-12-2013 at 4:29 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndiver View Post
Just a heads up. I am picking up my new MP15-22 this week, and have been reading how additional mags are practically nonexistent for it these days. I went to the Promag site, big red letters that hi-cap mag orders are 6 weeks+ now. I decided to get the ball rolling and placed my order. $16.58 each. Got this today:

Hello Shawn,Your order has shipped. (Order#: XXXXX placed on*03/08/2013)

Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket? Actually just wanted to let anyone looking for 10rd mags that they seem to be available out there at least at this point in time.

Cheers!
Congrats on the 15-22, you'll love it! Also I wasn't aware of any 3rd party mags for the 15-22, and at an excellent price too. I'll have to get myself a couple more.
Old 03-14-2013, 9:51 PM

Same thing happened to me. I bought the 15-22 just a couple weeks ago. I went to the promag site after being referred by a youtuber (who tried to sell me his promag 10 rd for 70) and placed and order for 2 mags at like 18 bucks each. 36 hours later or so I get an email saying they had been shipped and 2 days later I had them. Needless to say I was very happy!
Old 03-15-2013, 8:17 AM

Do the ProMag magazines have a pin in them like the S&W ones that limit them to 10 rounds or does Promag use a different method?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2013, 8:22 AM

I believe I read on the internets that ProMag is the OEM maker for the S&W 15-22 Magazines....
Old 03-15-2013, 9:30 AM

the promag ones have a black plastic rod that goes inside the spring that limits it to ten rounds. If you were to hypothetically remove that black plastic rod which is very easy it becomes a 32 rounder. But of course dont do that XD
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Got them today! Perfect timing as I picked up the rifle today as well. Nice mags! Very sad to see all that wasted space below after loading ten rounds though... Gonna go have me some fun sighting in tomorrow!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM

I got some a couple of weeks ago and was a little disappointed. The bolt stays back and never shoots the last bullet.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerX View Post
I got some a couple of weeks ago and was a little disappointed. The bolt stays back and never shoots the last bullet.
I wish I knew what the part was called but there is a little piece on the top part of the mag you need to shave a mm off or so. There are youtube videos that show how to fix it. It is the part inside the mag that sits on top of the spring and guides the ammo up. The part that sticks out the back (it can kind of be used as a load assist I guess) needs to have a little shaved off the top.

Sorry i'm a hardcore novice :P just look it up on youtube search for promag 15-22 mag last round or something
Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up.
Old 03-16-2013, 9:27 AM

I scored some ProMag 10rnds for my MP15-22 recently and on all 3 mags the last round won't chamber. I have tried CCI, Remington, Federal and Winchester ammo and its all the same. The 10th round won't chamber.
Have no problem with the SW 10rnd mags chambering all 10rnds.

Anyone else experience this issue?

ProMag was great to deal with and fast shipping. Would definitely buy from again!

Cheers
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks Shawndiver! I noticed the same thing at promag a few days ago but wondered if they would ship, you answered my question. On another note, Sportsmans guide let me backorder S&W 10-rounders. Email says they expect they will ship out on 5-1-13, fingers crossed. No guarantee of course, but possibly a better chance than waiting for in stock notifications for mags that are sold out instantly.
Old 03-16-2013, 5:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Went out today and got a chance to check out my new MP15-22 and the Promags. First off, love this rifle! Got the red dot and the irons dialed in in a few minutes and then it was just plain fun the rest of the day!

I had the issue with the Promags mentioned above. I did some research on it last night and it is an easy fix. The pin at the rear of the magazine that holds the bolt open after the last shot was a couple millimeters too long and catch the bolt prematurely. I cut it down a tiny amount at a time with an exacto knife and small fine file until it works normally. I would put two rounds in the mag, load one, then cycle the bolt. When the last round loaded normally, I knew I had removed enough of the pin. Trouble free the rest of the day! Still hate all that wasted space in the mag though!
Old 03-16-2013, 8:54 PM

Where did you purchased your 15-22? Oh how much?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

River City Gun Exchange. They had a couple different models from 499 to 575. Makes me cry to see what they went for pre-panic. Expensive I know, but I went through 250 rounds today. I figure a brick and a half of 22, and its paid for itself compared to what it could cost to feed my 5.56 MP-15. I got the MOE version. Dropped a UTG red dot on it. All the buttons work, and are in the same place as my MP-15, so its a great training rifle. And well, hell, its just a helluva lot of fun!
Old 03-17-2013, 9:30 AM

Quote:
I had the issue with the Promags mentioned above. I did some research on it last night and it is an easy fix. The pin at the rear of the magazine that holds the bolt open after the last shot was a couple millimeters too long and catch the bolt prematurely. I cut it down a tiny amount at a time with an exacto knife and small fine file until it works normally. I would put two rounds in the mag, load one, then cycle the bolt. When the last round loaded normally, I knew I had removed enough of the pin. Trouble free the rest of the day! Still hate all that wasted space in the mag though!
Roger that. I will try it!
Do you have a picture of the pin? Want to make sure I know what to file down.
Cheers
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM

I just wish those mags weren't so ridiculously long. Looks like the thing should hold about 50 rounds for the length it is.
Old 03-17-2013, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here you go. The pin can be seen at the far left of the picture, just below the phillips head screw at the top of the mag. I literally only had to take off maybe a couple millimeters. According to the forums I read, some don't have any issues at all, some require more of the pin removed than others. So start small and work your way down. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130317_151353.jpg (87.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Here you go. The pin can be seen at the far left of the picture, just below the phillips head screw at the top of the mag. I literally only had to take off maybe a couple millimeters. According to the forums I read, some don't have any issues at all, some require more of the pin removed than others. So start small and work your way down. Hope this helps!
I finally got a chance to use mine today. The first 4 mags failed to feed the last round. Then every now and again it would work just fine. I went through it about 20 times and the last ten it worked perfectly like 8 times. I still sanded a little bit off just to be sure tho.
Old 04-05-2013, 4:09 AM

Is there a 10rd limit for a 15-22 or can you get the higher cap mag in cali?

Also, does a 15-22 require a bullet button?

thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgosteelers View Post
Is there a 10rd limit for a 15-22 or can you get the higher cap mag in cali?

Also, does a 15-22 require a bullet button?

thanks!
10 round limit, dedicated rimfire does NOT require a bullet button
Old 04-05-2013, 4:30 AM

thanks!!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM

I pick up my 15/22 next week. Found four S&W 10 rounders for it today for $25 each plus tax. I know that is a little over MSRP but its a lot better than some of the online prices I have seen.

I don't know if they have anymore mags but they had a few 15/22's on the shelf and several other Tacticool 22's also, no ammo either but I have a few thousand rounds already. American Gun Works in Glendale.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 04-06-2013, 8:32 AM

Anyone know of any 3rd party company that makes 10rnd shorts?
Old 05-07-2013, 1:16 PM

Funny thing: After seeing this post on 3/18, I made a purchase on Promag's site to pick up a handful of the 15-22 mags.

Today, still nothing. I call ProMags and they said I'm probably still about 1.5 months out before I will get anything. How can I still be waiting?!

I was behind by 2 days on the original post and it exponentially delayed me by many months! FML.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-07-2013, 4:27 PM

cancelled my order with Promag, after 7 weeks of nothing. My order was locked in their "processing" limbo . . . They were of zero help when I called, and they really didn't care when I cancelled.
Old 05-07-2013, 4:34 PM

Heads up for those SoCal calgunners still looking for mags, Guns Direct in Burbank had a whole shelf full of S&W mags at $35 when I went in yesterday. If I'd been thinking about it I'd have just bought them out and sold them to Calgunners (and not for 50 bucks a pop either, we gotta look out for our own )
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"

Last edited by SGT Loco; 05-07-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 6:30 PM

I think that's good idea to cancel the order. I'd rather pay more for S&W mags anyway.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-24-2013, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyofLA View Post
Funny thing: After seeing this post on 3/18, I made a purchase on Promag's site to pick up a handful of the 15-22 mags.

Today, still nothing. I call ProMags and they said I'm probably still about 1.5 months out before I will get anything. How can I still be waiting?!

I was behind by 2 days on the original post and it exponentially delayed me by many months! FML.
After waiting 3 months for my 15-22 mags I called ProMag and was told that all orders were being cancelled due to some legal issue with S&W.
She said that there would be 6000 emails sent explaining this.
Bummer.