Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 3:04 PM

Default Good holster for a short-waisted woman?

I'm looking into taking a defensive pistol course with my XD9, and they all seem to require a holster. Even if I do apply for a CCW (in LA, hah!) I will probably not be trying to conceal this particular gun, so I'm mostly looking for a holster for training or use in areas other than CA (as in, I don't mind if it's visible).

I know women have less space between waist and underarm than most men -- and I'm a little more high-waisted than most women. Any advice on which holsters I might actually be able to get a gun out of quickly and easily without having to sign up for extreme yoga?
Old 03-11-2013, 3:11 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

This holster has a little bit of a drop to it, meaning it puts the gun lower than others. It also moves it away from the body a little which makes it easier to draw.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=182

Honestly, my wife shoots competition and does training and she uses regular IDPA legal holsters like this one (She is 5'7")

http://www.blade-tech.com/Black-Ice-...r-pr-1210.html

Blade-tech makes a drop offset (DOH) holster as well:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Black-Ice-DOH-pr-1211.html

Edit: Your wait time on the Blade-tech could be 2 months. The Comp-tac should be a few weeks. We have holsters from both companies, and they are both good - but I would say the comp-tac is built a little better. It has smoother edges and feels more refined. Either will work well for training, but the DOH holsters are going to not be very concealable.

Last edited by Kodemonkey; 03-11-2013 at 3:17 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Not a female here, but maybe I can help.
I have seen holsters that strap too the thigh.
I have also seen holsters with a pretty severe drop.
Maybe you could find a Police supply store in your area that can give you more choices.
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 4:21 PM

I run an IDPA, and black hawk serpa at the range. Love both. If not worried about gun showing I would recommend looking at the black hawk serpa, pretty comfortable next to your hip, and fits the gun very nicely. Best of luck on the hunt.
Old 03-11-2013, 4:31 PM

I'll list how I did my own to make make it fit wherever I carry it. Yes, it's home made bit at also fits me better than any of those belly bands. Not looking it to sell them, just sharing the the example with other women.
Old 03-12-2013, 4:40 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

please let me know what you end up with.....
i do not have a CCW nor will i ever have one in this county.
and since in do not have a waist [apple anyone?] the vision you've given me of me with a holster trying to draw the pistol out has me gringing and yoga would be a polite term.
yes, please let me know what you end up with.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 03-12-2013, 4:51 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Not a female here, but is there a preference for a waist-draw type holster? I've always felt way more comfortable with a thigh or drop-leg holster, the additional comfort for fast-drawing more than makes up for the greater distance. Waist-drawing pistols has always felt a little awkward for me.

That being said, the most comfortable and fastest draws I've practiced are with a offhand side stomach /abdomen level horizontal mount holster, either worn like a shoulder holster or mounted inside a jacket or coat.
Old 03-12-2013, 4:53 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Additional Links:

http://www.armedinheels.com/conceale....html?CDpath=3

http://www.usgalco.com/women.asp

Specifically this one: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...84&CatalogID=2
Old 03-12-2013, 5:20 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

my understanding is that classes require a waist belted holster......

thank you for the great links, Happy!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 03-13-2013, 8:34 PM

Condor VT Holster
Try a molle holster, my girlfriends got a Springfield XD tactical (4" barrel) with a surefire light on it, wanted something she could slap it on anything, this wrapped around her sidearm and if you only feed the molle straps through the last 2 straps it fits any size belt. It's ridged enough to not flop all over on her and she can run and gun with it. They run from $14 to $20 depending on the tactical color and or manufacturer.

Forest City Tactical
If you don't have any accessories on the firearm or just want a solid style holster equally as tactical but no cloth, just clips on your pants or belt outside or inside (depending on what you buy.) $55 to $65 in a variety of colors, also allows for you to cant (or slant) your firearm so you don't necessarily need straight up and down arm space.

These are just the couple we use around here, haven't had money to venture much.

Last edited by Madstone; 03-13-2013 at 8:38 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 1:26 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm working through the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
my understanding is that classes require a waist belted holster......
I suspect you are right, though the guy featured in the picture for pistol class 202 on the TASC site sure looks like he's wearing a thigh holster :-)

Do you know if a drop-offset holster counts as a waist-belted holster? I'm strongly considering this one... http://www.amazon.com/International-...HQ4S2QL2&psc=1

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2013, 7:34 PM

I just bought a G Code Holster for a defensive handgun course and really like the Drop Leg Single rig with a the OSH RTI Kydex holster.
http://www.tacticalholsters.com/prod...ies/GCA71.html

I shoot a Springfield XD-M 4.5" 9mm with Big Dot sights and it fits like a glove in this holster. Also I like it on my leg instead of high on my belt. Much easier to draw and carry for this type of class.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

eam, i'd ask the class instructor that question.

swooper, i wish they had a picture of that one on someone!

Gun Control:
Old 03-15-2013, 9:37 AM

My wife says she has a 'short' torso and regular legs?? Anyways, she loves her dropleg safariland holster, which she's confident with and says it allows a more natural grasp once adjusted for her ergo's. It also is modular and allows for switching from a Glock to 1911 setup within a few mins.

Hope this helps..
Old 03-17-2013, 3:40 PM

I shoot IDPA, and I use a Comptac kydex with drop offset for my M&P. The offset pushes it a bit away from my waist, and makes it straight vertical (before, the barrel angled away from my hip). I like it a lot, but it's not something I could use for CCW, just for training and matches.