Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-11-2012, 7:45 AM

Default Marlin 795 need some help/advice

So the past few times I have gone shooting my Marlin 795 .22LR has failed to hold the bolt open upon firing the last shot. I thought this may be happening because of a buildup of powder on the action's moving parts. I cleaned them up really well and lubricated them each of the past two times before going to the range but still the problem kept happening. Looking closer it seems that the Last Shot Hold Open Assembly has some wear at the top part of it, here is a picture of the location http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...8-38-15_51.jpg

I am about to order a new part since I have to order a replacement retainer clip as well. Should I go ahead and order this part or would wear on that piece not be the cause?? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Wants:
Remington M700, M1 Garand, AK-47, Build an AR
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 08-11-2012, 7:49 AM

Mine does the same thing sometimes, but seems to be ammo related. Please report back after replacement. I'd like to know if it fixes your problem.

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
If he was any more of a worthless tool he'd be available at Harbor Freight.
Old 08-11-2012, 7:58 AM

Alright then the part was cheap enough I just went ahead and ordered it since I had to get that clip anyway. I never thought about it being ammo related since I have been using the same type of ammo as I always get and the problem didn't start happening until I had already put approximately 3,000 rounds through it. I will definitely report back here and let you know.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Could be the magazine, the little knob that on the side of the follower could be worn or dirty
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

It could just be that since you are missing a retainer clip and the action is looser then it should be..
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 08-11-2012, 2:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, for the magazine thing that could be the case but I do have 2 magazines... one newer than the other and it occurs when using both mags.

The missing retainer clip definitely makes sense to me. Hope these replacement parts I ordered will fix the problem, if not I will get another magazine and try that =)

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 08-11-2012, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Stone all the wear/bearing surfaces of burrs/scratches on the part and possible action/stock.
Old 08-11-2012, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Another thought doesn't that part run on the outside of the action? Could it be making contact with the stock? Check the stock for burrs?
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 08-11-2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Stone all the wear/bearing surfaces of burrs/scratches on the part and possible action/stock.
Sorry stone? ...like sand down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Another thought doesn't that part run on the outside of the action? Could it be making contact with the stock? Check the stock for burrs?
...and what exactly is a burr??

Sorry don't know some of this lingo =D

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Stoning is like sanding but on a micro scale, pretty much polishing

Burr is when a piece of material does not lay flat. Common in wood and metal working. Its like a shaving that is still partially attached.

In my post it would be like part of the plastic of the stock is dented or miss molded and is sticking up causing a high spot that the part is rubbing against in the stock

Last edited by Chaos47; 08-11-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 PM

ohh so I could using a fine grit sand paper and look for any plastic or metal shavings that need some working down??

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Yup, if that is what is causing it to hang up that would help

Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Nice I will definitely check for anything like that when I open it back up to put in that retainer clip, thank you.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-11-2013, 4:17 AM

So an update to this issue. I have tried to debur and loosen the stock even replaced the last shot hold open. Nothing has fixed this issue... I think that what might be the problem is that the magazine springs are too soft now and are not allowing the last shot hold open to function properly. I will eventually buy some new mags let everyone know how it works out.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter
Old 03-11-2013, 9:52 AM

First thing I would do is remove the action from the receiver, insert a mag and see if the LSHO lever is activated by the nub on the follower. If it is and the lever is not binding, then look elsewhere else for the problem. Re-assemble the action to the receiver with the bolt locked open manually. With the LSHO lever pulled downward, insert an empty mag. Does the lever pivot upward? If so, all is good. If not, look for any signs of binding. Remove the mag. The LSHO lever should pivot freely without any binding.

If everything is good up to this point, re-install the barreled action in the stock and hold it in place with your hand. Check that the LSHO lever is not binding and run the last test once more. If the lever is binding, it's most likely interference with the stock and some material will have to be removed from the stock.

Everything still good? Remove the mag, and still holding the action in the stock, release the manual hold-open and allow the bolt to close. Insert an empty mag and cycle the action. Is the LSHO locking the bolt open properly? If not, check for damage to the bolt where it contacts the LSHO. Lastly, remove the action and bolt from the receiver. Hold the bolt against the top of the action, so it is in contact with the side plates. Slide the bolt towards the rear while keeping the front of the bolt in contact with the side plates. Press up on the LSHO. Overlap between the bolt face and the tab on the LSHO should be about 1/8". This is where you noticed the wear spot on the original LSHO.

If everything checks out at this point, re-assemble the rifle completely. Once the trigger guard is in place make sure the LSHO lever is still free-floating without a mag. If it seems to bind at this point, check that the lever isn't bent where it passes through the TG.

You mentioned that you needed to replace the e-clip on the LSHO. There is a small washer under that clip. Make sure that that is in place and the tab at the rear of the LSHO is riding inside of the notch in the side-plate. Otherwise, there might be enough slop in the assembly to allow the nub on the magazine follower to miss the tab on the LSHO.

I sincerely doubt that this is ammo related. If the ammo didn't have enough power to cycle the action properly you'd also be experiencing feeding and/or ejection problems.

Best of luck and hope you find your gremlin.

Last edited by korny351; 03-11-2013 at 4:29 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 3:22 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will check out your suggestions.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was an ammunition problem, I was thinking it could be the magazines themselves not keeping the hold open in place properly when ejecting the last casing, there is some play in the LSHO when engaged. Anyway I will check your suggestions =) thanks.

Wants:
-------
NRA Member
Registered Voter