Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-03-2013, 6:41 AM
Banned

Default convert it or not m96 swede.

Just picked up a Swede M96. The stock disk shows a #3 barrel which after a good cleaning appears to be correct. The stock wood has some tiger striping under all the crud and it's otherwise the slickest 96 I've held in a long time. That being the case, I'm taking opinions on my next step into account.

I'm considering making a .300savage or .308 winchester or 7mm-08 or possibly a .243win out of it but wondering if that's still considered an evil deed to convert a swede. If it's generally agreed to be evil then I'll swap it for a 98 since nobody seems to care about using those as donor actions.

So thoughts?

If it's not evil then how about some thoughts on chamberings. I'm thinking 7mm or 30 cal, leaning toward 6mm or 7mm for better BC's. Whatever it ends up being it'll be scoped and used for target shooting, banging steel at modest range ( < 1000yrds) and the odd hunting trip for pig/deer/coyote.
Old 03-03-2013, 7:37 AM
Veteran Member

It's evil.

Frankly, for what you want to do you are wasting your money. If you want a scoped hunting rifle, go buy one, even the low end Savage/Stevens or Remington/Marlin offerings will most likely out shoot it, will come already set up for a scope, for less money that you will spend converting a military rifle.

In the 1950s what you are proposing made sense, as military rifles were dirt cheap, and new hunting bolt guns were expensive. That really isn't the case any more, when a Savage Axis has a MSRP under $400, and a street price even lower. Unless you are a gunsmith (or skilled amateur with the proper tools) you can't re-barrel a Mauser for that price, and that doesn't include drilling/tapping/grinding for the scope mount, bending or replacing the bolt to clear a scope, stock work, etc.

Keep the Mauser as is, and buy a Savage, and either shoot the Swede and enjoy it for what it is, one of the best military rifles of it's age, or sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

If you are determined to destroy a historic rifle, with your chambering choices you are better suited to find a 98 action. The 96 is often considered the strongest of the small ring Mausers, but it is still a small ring Mauser and never intended for modern pressures.

With that said, the 6.5 Swede will do everything you mention quite well. 140 gr 6.5mm/.264" bullets have better BCs than anything in .243, and while some 7mm and .308 offerings are better, the 7mms seem to be less available, and in .308 to beat the 6.5 140 AMAX you need to go up to 210 grains, which are expensive, and not really suited to .308Win case capacity (the Sierra manual doesn't list any loads over 200 gr)
Old 03-03-2013, 8:05 AM

^^^^^100% agree of what emcon5 said.

What you are contemplating of doing is blasphemy in the firearm world. If its nice and the price is right, sell it to me and I will take care of it. It always tears me up when I see vintage military rifles being destroyed. Don't do it!
Old 03-03-2013, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sell it and build a Savage. You can do pretty much anything you want to a Savage with a few cheap tools in your garage. Ive swapped many barrels myself with ease and there is a big aftermarket these days for the 10 and 110 based actions. Most other rifles require expensive tools and most work needs a gunsmith. Cough (remington 700) cough.

There are a couple Savages in the classifieds as I type this in the $400 range and you can get close to that selling the M96.

Also the 6.5x55 round is fantabulastic.

Edit: Some motivation to do the right thing =)

Last edited by MongooseV8; 03-03-2013 at 8:33 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 8:35 AM
Banned

That's what I thought you'd all say and the reason I asked. Looks like it's sell/swap time still. PM me if you think you want to own it.

I've done a number of barrel swaps and such on various mausers and savages. The action on the swede being so hideously slick was the impetus for the idea of a conversion but since nobody has flooded the US market with 2 million more swedes I'll let the whiner-side prevail and leave it as is.

Anyone with a savage short or long action they want to swap?
Old 03-03-2013, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Have you even shot the rifle???

Seriously many Swedish rifles with "3" bores will still out shoot most commercial rifles.

So before you go out and do anything shoot the rifle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 03-03-2013, 9:48 AM
Banned

yeah, I tossed a mag full from it right after I picked it up. It groups fine with commercial sporting ammo, better than my eyes can do from iron sights anymore. Still, I don't want a 6.5x55 (despite the admitted awesome that that round is). I like 6mm 7mm and .30 cal better. Thankfully it was gotten on a trade more or less as bait for future trades with a secondary thought of conversion. Since conversion is not an option I'll be exploring any further, it's now sale/trade time.

It's interesting how much emphasis has been placed on comparative cost effectiveness against modern retail products. Few if any common modern retail-available rifles made today is made with the exceptional quality and fitting that many guns from the 1st world war were (IMO). Even a modern bolt action like a Savage or Remington just doesn't seem as high quality even if they're more sophisticated.

I'm working a sale to an interested party. No conversion will be done.
Old 03-03-2013, 3:00 PM

Do what you want with it, it's your rifle.