Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Default Range bag question.

So I have gotten into shooting a lot more this year. I picked up my first range bag today but am not sure of what to put in it. I will be going to both indoor out door ranges. More outdoor. I have a .45acp 22lr and 12 gauge pump. Any thoughts in what to stuff it with? Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 AM

Hmmm...let's see, your guns/mags, eye and ear protection, CLP and patches/ cleaning supplies...ammo....am I forgetting anything??
Old 03-03-2013, 1:43 AM

The toothbrush looking cleaning brush.
A barrel rod (for clearing your barrel, if the need arises).
Gloves you can shoot with.
Bandaids.
Sunscreen.
Leatherman.
Lens cleaner (for scopes and eyepro).
Bottle of water.
Masking Tape (for covering hols on targets, taping edges of targets, etc.).
Fat Sharpie (for target marking)

Possibilities (maybe not for you):
Allan wrench set for tightening scope mounts
Choke tubes and key/wrench.
Laminated documents (club membership, safety card, paperwork, flowchart, etc.).
Target stickers
Spotting scope
Hat.
Extra eyepro and ears (for a friend, or in case you misplace your primaries)
Brass bag (if you, or a friend) reload

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.

Last edited by retiredAFcop; 03-03-2013 at 1:46 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 3:06 AM

Everytime you go to a range, you'll find there's always something else you'll want to add till you find the place where you're finally comfortable with what to bring. As you can see from the first two replies, they'd each bring very different range bags. Range bags are like guns. We each have our own preferences in what to include in them as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 7:23 AM

Smile

For indoor ranges I usually just bring my handgun, ammo, and eye and ear protection - my local range requires using their own targets

This is what I bring to the outdoor range

Guns
Magazines
Ammo cans
Eye and ear protection
Spotting scope
Rifle shooting bags
Targets
Staple gun
Sharpee pen
Cleaning kit (gun oil, hoppe's, bore snake, brushes, etc)
Rags
Leatherman tool
Large towel
Water and snacks - maybe a sandwich if I'm going to be there all day

Last edited by delta9; 03-03-2013 at 7:26 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 6:34 PM

ziploc bags are handy for carrying empty brass
binoculars
sight/scope adjusting tools
towel, some shooting benches are concrete (think sandpaper)
small bean bag
lens cleaning paper
pen, notepad

Don't laugh: checklist I have made it to the range with none or wrong magazines, left ammo can on driveway..
Old 03-03-2013, 7:02 PM

Eyes, ears, gun, ammo, magazines, rig, fluids, timer, and targets go with me in a backpack.
Tools, and pretty much everything I can think of are in a Midway large gun bag that stays in the car.
Old 03-03-2013, 7:03 PM

I change items based on weapons I'm using but there's always, cleaning kit, gloves, ear protection, (second set for a guest) took kit (for sight adjustments or maintanence). I usually carry two Sigs, six magazines, and room for about 200 rounds of ammo. One stop shop.
Old 03-03-2013, 8:55 PM

First aid kit.......Unfortunately I've had to use mine....And not on me.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:09 PM

I have a few items that will always stay in my range bag. Usually my main ear plugs and a back up set, a can of CLP, a leatherman multi tool, binoculars, blue colored masking tape, a pack of shoot and sees, my magazine loaders and sometimes a few paper towels (if you ever spray bolt carriers right before use you might want to be prepared for potential spray). Oh and a bottle of water cause sometimes you can end up being around longer then you thought and will end up thirsty.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmog View Post
Everytime you go to a range, you'll find there's always something else you'll want to add till you find the place where you're finally comfortable with what to bring. As you can see from the first two replies, they'd each bring very different range bags. Range bags are like guns. We each have our own preferences in what to include in them as well.
Exactly...the more you go the more stuff you will bring for next time. Masking tape, some tools and chap stick. Can't go wrong with those things.

Real Estate Agent
RE/MAX

Cell: (818) 926-3616
scvhomestore.com

corysanchez25@gmail.com

CalBRE #01976864
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM

I usually bring a roll of these color-dot stickers. When the center of my paper target has too many holes, I put one (or a few) of these dots on the paper taraget for aim, and can keep using the same paper target again and again (yes, I am cheap )

Old 03-04-2013, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
I usually bring a roll of these color-dot stickers. When the center of my paper target has too many holes, I put one (or a few) of these dots on the paper taraget for aim, and can keep using the same paper target again and again (yes, I am cheap )

Great idea.
Old 03-04-2013, 8:01 AM

heres a thread from the handgun section. i picked up a couple of new ideas to add into my bag. i actually added them over the weekend. hopefully you can find something of use in there.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ight=range+bag

Last edited by MyNamesMeToo; 03-04-2013 at 9:07 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

What I usually keep in the range cart are:

8 20-round USGI straight body mags
2 SLEDs
Sight smoker
shooting glove
shooting mitt
Leatherman
ammo holder (for standing)
shooting hat
pasters (white and black)
staple gun
mesh brass bag
bunch of small/large plastic bags
spotting scope and stand (attaches to cart)
disposable ear plugs
mini clipboard
printed data sheets
microfiber cloths
rags/cloths
empty chamber indicators
spare leather sling
spare cotton web sling
pens/markers

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-04-2013, 8:39 AM

I keep my tiny "gun journal" (a small 4"x2" notepad) and write down ALL the amounts of ammo I use for my guns, while it's fresh in my mind. Marking the mileage, so to speak.

Also, pack an Uplula for reloading quickly and easily.

Sharpies
Leatherman tool (more handy than ya think... For you or someone else... Always good to be a good lane neighbor)
All the standard safety equipment
Ammo and mags

I'm surprised at how many people take cleaning supplies to the range. The ones up here (Bay Area), if you started cleaning your gun, holding up a lane, you'd get yelled at or asked to vacate. Spots are at a premium, especially for the rifle lanes. But, if its a private place or low trafficked, no biggie.

Great idea about taking a towel to sit on the bench!
Old 03-04-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLawless1 View Post
I keep my tiny "gun journal" (a small 4"x2" notepad) and write down ALL the amounts of ammo I use for my guns, while it's fresh in my mind. Marking the mileage, so to speak.

Also, pack an Uplula for reloading quickly and easily.

Sharpies
Leatherman tool (more handy than ya think... For you or someone else... Always good to be a good lane neighbor)
All the standard safety equipment
Ammo and mags

I'm surprised at how many people take cleaning supplies to the range. The ones up here (Bay Area), if you started cleaning your gun, holding up a lane, you'd get yelled at or asked to vacate. Spots are at a premium, especially for the rifle lanes. But, if its a private place or low trafficked, no biggie.

Great idea about taking a towel to sit on the bench!

Cleaning supplies not to necessarily do a breakdown and full on cleaning on the lane but to do any required maintainence due to malfunctions on the go, as well as to have it in case of a bug out situation. My range bag is always ready to go.
Old 03-04-2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Cleaning supplies not to necessarily do a breakdown and full on cleaning on the lane but to do any required maintainence due to malfunctions on the go, as well as to have it in case of a bug out situation. My range bag is always ready to go.
That makes total sense. Thanks for the insight. Maybe I should stash a small can of CLR and some pads just in case.

Love how everyone gives everyone else ideas on here. I'm a member of another forum about collectibles (not guns) and its about 75% negative most times. I don't visit much, as you might imagine.
Old 03-09-2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
Ouch!

Hope it was just bandaids for little cuts or scrapes, and not something more serious.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 03-09-2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLawless1 View Post
I'm surprised at how many people take cleaning supplies to the range. The ones up here (Bay Area), if you started cleaning your gun, holding up a lane, you'd get yelled at or asked to vacate.
I don;t clean the guns at the range, but do bring some basic supplies.

I bring a cleaning rod because I've had to rod my barrel at the range once or twice to clear a misfed round. I've also helped a lot of other people with it, as well.

A bottle of CLP and the brush can add some lube to dry parts, or quickly clear off some gunk/carbon buildup between rounds.

And I often go shooting with friends - which can mean we go to someone's house for a BBQ after, and clean the guns there. Having your basic cleaning supplies with you is good in those situations (my serious cleaning kit usually stays at home).

When I was stationed in SoCal and did most of my off duty shooting on BLM desert land, I'd include my cleaning kit in my range bag, and clean after firing, before packing everything up, bringing it back on base, and checking it in to the arms room (can't keep privately owned firearms in military barracks/dorms).

Old 03-09-2013, 7:43 PM

The most used item in my bag is my sunscreen. I keep a bottle in it at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Bay Basser View Post
...I'm safe and they smell like snuggle bear now.
Old 03-09-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredAFcop View Post
Ouch!

Hope it was just bandaids for little cuts or scrapes, and not something more serious.
Unfortunately it was a bullet jacket that bounced off a 12" section of "I" beam that was used to hold plates. Instead of the flat part of the "I" beam facing the shooter the "U" part was facing the shooter. Bullet went low, made a u-turn and ended up in the shooter's abdominal area. Used my latex gloves, some thick bandages (gauze), tape and off to the ER he went. Its still in him and it looks like the state of Florida. That happened 10 years ago at a USPSA match.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately it was a bullet jacket that bounced off a 12" section of "I" beam that was used to hold plates. Instead of the flat part of the "I" beam facing the shooter the "U" part was facing the shooter. Bullet went low, made a u-turn and ended up in the shooter's abdominal area. Used my latex gloves, some thick bandages (gauze), tape and off to the ER he went. Its still in him and it looks like the state of Florida. That happened 10 years ago at a USPSA match.
Not to side track too far, but what do you normally carry within your first aide kit and how does it differ from a conventional first aid kit?

I guess this question applies to everyone who carries a first aide kit in their range bag. I have been wondering what I should carry myself.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I carry an enhanced IFAK with tourniquet and HALO seal. Think can go downhill real fast and EMT response to outdoor ranges can take some time.
Old 03-10-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Good job.

You're the type of guy I hope is at the range when I do something stupid.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fat sharpie for marking shots etc...
Old 03-11-2013, 8:41 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

Cool post, great information!
Old 03-11-2013, 9:30 AM

white duct tape, black duct tape (for posting and covering holes)
safety glasses, ear protection (over ear and ear plugs)
reactive target stickers
eula mag loader for pistols
knife to remove jammed rounds
water
gloves
hats
ammo depending on what is shot
purell cleaning
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Calguns is my Facebook!
CGN Contributor

My bag... it's getting heavy.

Eyes/Ears
Tape and stapler
Binoculars
Knife or multitool
Small screwdriver set
Allen/Torx key sets
target stickys
Mag loaders
AR front sight tool
Extra batteries for red dots
Drink (water, etc)
One tube of D-wipe (lead removal from hands)
Lots of ammo
Pens, highlighters, notepad
Chamber flag(s)
Gun oil
Brass rods and hammer in case of squibs

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 03-11-2013, 5:55 PM

Keys for ALL safety locks. Don't ask me how I know.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States.

Noah Webster, An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut6 View Post
Keys for ALL safety locks. Don't ask me how I know.
I've been down this road before....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

a lot of helpful stuff in here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ight=range+bag

i added a few things to my bag based on what others were running
Old 03-12-2013, 4:08 PM

I really need a new bag, mine's far too small. On the other hand, it keeps me from bringing too much crap.

Essentials are lube, tools, safety gear and essential target stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post

Were did you pick the dots up at?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4funca View Post
Were did you pick the dots up at?
The dots are good idea, I picked up a bunch a few years ago and still have a ton. They're cool because you can repair a target or make a custom configuration.