Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-02-2013, 8:36 PM

Default Mosin trigger?

So I have two mosins. First one I changed to a finn sear. Works great.

Second one I have not shot yet. Ordered a finn sear, but it seems to sit funny and the trigger rubs along the sides of the sear. Top of the trigger box doesn't look square. Old sear doesn't seem to sit up into the actin far enough and seems to be to short of a pull

Should I order a new trigger and if so is it worth the money for the finn trigger? They are 30 bucks on eBay. Is there a better source?

Currently building the first mosin into hunter, might just upgrade it to timney trigger and swap the triggers.

Thoughts and opinions?
Old 03-02-2013, 9:09 PM
Banned

I would upgrade the trigger into a nice unit. It's not expensive, and a great upgrade IMO. What else have you done to the mosin? you mentioned BUILDING so I was just curious?

I bought an old beat up mosin and made a fun little project out of it. It was a ton of fun, and it shoots great now!

-Polymer stock
-Polished bolt/receiver (very smooth now)
-bipod
-scope
-round saddle (dont know the name sorry)
-cut/crowned barrel down to 18.5"

It shoots great now, I really am happy with the outcome of the whole project. I haven't been able to go long range with it. But @50 yards I get really great groups with surplus ammo! Good luck with your project.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmckinney View Post

Should I order a new trigger and if so is it worth the money for the finn trigger? They are 30 bucks on eBay. Is there a better source?

Currently building the first mosin into hunter, might just upgrade it to timney trigger and swap the triggers.

Thoughts and opinions?
I made a two-stage Finn M39-style trigger. Instead of pins, it has bearings

Production pics:

It operates like this:

Much better for me than Timney, as I love the two-stage pull and the simplicity. First stage is about 1.75lbs while the second stage is about 2.25lbs according to my trigger pull gauge.

I don't build these for general sale. Rather, they're limited to folks I've talked with for a while. I have to be sure they'll install the trigger correctly, and that if they have an accident, I won't get sued.

There's nothing wrong with the trigger, but lawyers just love to go after improved triggers as causes of negligence rather than placing the blame where it belongs: Bubba had one too many beers and shot his buddy. Not the trigger's fault, but a jury made up of common folks doesn't know this.

Yes, I'm bitter about the litigious society we live in.

Anyway, if you'd like to build one of these, shoot me a PM or email me from my website and I'll send you the trigger diagram and instructions on how to build it.

I promise you'll like it better than anything else out there!

Regards,

Josh
Old 03-03-2013, 1:01 PM

As a trained litigator, I totally agree with you and understand what you are saying. I'd do the same thing. I'll never go back to practice because my wife has done well for us and its too much to risk being sued for legal malpractice.

I'll pm you.
Old 03-03-2013, 3:37 PM

PM so totally sent. Sorry for the "long-windedness"!

Regards,

Josh
Old 03-03-2013, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Drill out trigger and receiver ears trigger pin hole to .163-165" and cuts hank of drill witdth of receiver ears for new trigger pin.

No side wobble.