Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Default bullets in mag ????

was wondering if its ok to leave them in the mags for long periods of time without weaking the spring in the mag?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astars450 View Post
was wondering if its ok to leave them in the mags for long periods of time without weaking the spring in the mag?
Yes. It is the cycling of the spring (loading and unloading) that causes the spring to weaken. Leave it fully loaded, it will be fine for a very long time
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:52 PM

I charge $5 a magazine to unload them. Call my secretary to make a appointment.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:08 PM

Pretty sure it depends on the age and material used in the spring.

There used to be a lot of reports of magazine springs losing tension when compressed for long periods (i.e. years). But many older magazine springs also rust. Possibly a combination of compression plus rust caused the problems?

It seems like newer springs are made out of metals that are more resilient.

At least this is the case with AR mags, according to my old boss - who had been a military armorer and dealt with such problems for close to 30 years.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astars450 View Post
Springs wear out from being compressed and released, not from resting in a compressed state.
It would wear them more to unload the mags when you are done and then load them again the next time you go shooting than it would to just leave them loaded.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-02-2013, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not a problem. Some people constantly load/unload their magazines and do not realize they are decreasing the life of them by doing so.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-02-2013, 9:05 PM

Hmm spring compression counter... Whats that ronco guys name again? Popeel...?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Yes. It is the cycling of the spring (loading and unloading) that causes the spring to weaken. Leave it fully loaded, it will be fine for a very long time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Springs wear out from being compressed and released, not from resting in a compressed state.
It would wear them more to unload the mags when you are done and then load them again the next time you go shooting than it would to just leave them loaded.
Yup, yup!

"and God said let there be VTEC. And then there was
a great earthquake. The seas boiled and the skies fell...

All fell silent as the roar of 5,600RPM echoed across the earth"

Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

I leave my mags loaded, however there is one caveat - the constant upward pressure on metal feed lips *can* slightly bend those lips over time, causing double feeds. I have two mags for a Remington 740 that are like this. My uncle left them loaded for decades.
A solution to this is to wrap a rubber band around the mag lengthwise, so that it puts a little bit of downward pressure on the top round, taking stress off of the feed lips.