Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013, 7:18 PM
350skylark's Avatar
350skylark 350skylark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 1,440
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default At the lgs

im sure its nothing you haven't heard or seen before but it was my first time really seeing it, I was checking for ammo and a girl was there buying her first gun, one of the workers was helping her out with her grip and giving her advice. The problem was he was standing directly in front of the muzzle the whole time she was literally lining up the sights right at his chest and he wasn't saying a thing about muzzle discipline. I haven't been in this life style for very long (only 21 and bought my first handgun on my birthday). I didn't say anything but looking back i feel like i should have said something, would you have said something?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2013, 7:24 PM
DPmax DPmax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Actually I have seen many instructors do just that, stand directly in front of the student when teaching a grip... with an empty gun of course.
But it still sends a chill up my spine when I see it.
__________________
Never follow the advice of Calguns Addicts,
They clearly don't know what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 7:26 PM
bill_k_lopez's Avatar
bill_k_lopez bill_k_lopez is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,835
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350skylark View Post
im sure its nothing you haven't heard or seen before but it was my first time really seeing it, I was checking for ammo and a girl was there buying her first gun, one of the workers was helping her out with her grip and giving her advice. The problem was he was standing directly in front of the muzzle the whole time she was literally lining up the sights right at his chest and he wasn't saying a thing about muzzle discipline. I haven't been in this life style for very long (only 21 and bought my first handgun on my birthday). I didn't say anything but looking back i feel like i should have said something, would you have said something?
MYOB
__________________
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 7:34 PM
Muscles Glasses's Avatar
Muscles Glasses Muscles Glasses is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino
Posts: 512
iTrader: 10 / 92%
Default

Unless the gun was being pointed at you why bother? I've had to ask a couple people before to "point that somewhere else" while waiting at the counter to be helped. You don't want to be one of those know it all guys that just hang out at your lgs to nag people on safety...
__________________
If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.

We keep one foot in the water.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 8:04 PM
scidx's Avatar
scidx scidx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yes
Posts: 1,088
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

I take it, you've never had a class in shotgun sports.

The average military firearms instructor gets about 20-50 muzzles pointed at them for an entire class duration, every time they teach. It comes with the territory. Safety measures are in place, of course.

I am reminded of the response usually following any picture of anyone holding a gun, where it looks as if a finger might be touching a trigger. It must get extremely frustrating trying to rent an action movie.
__________________


"Never go through a door without a full magazine in your weapon." --Capt. Eric A. Sykes--

"(experts), of course, have long recognized the .45 as possessing killing power completely out of proportion to the scientific reality of its cross-sectional area, sectional density and available kinetic energy." --G&S online--
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013, 8:23 PM
LMTluvr's Avatar
LMTluvr LMTluvr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Land of the free. NV.
Posts: 1,350
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
MYOB
This.
Sometimes it's just not practical. As long as the proper precautions are followed I can promise you that weapon won't load itself while nobody's looking. Positive contact, control of the weapon at all times whether physically or visually. Good to go.
__________________
Slayer of abalone and lingcod.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2013, 8:46 PM
350skylark's Avatar
350skylark 350skylark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 1,440
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTluvr View Post
This.
Sometimes it's just not practical. As long as the proper precautions are followed I can promise you that weapon won't load itself while nobody's looking. Positive contact, control of the weapon at all times whether physically or visually. Good to go.
not practical? he could have done the same without looking down the barrel, and it was just weird that hes teaching about guns but not enforcing gun safety which is most important.. but whatever whats done is done.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2013, 9:28 PM
Merc1138 Merc1138 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,278
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350skylark View Post
not practical? he could have done the same without looking down the barrel, and it was just weird that hes teaching about guns but not enforcing gun safety which is most important.. but whatever whats done is done.
You said above in the OP you haven't been involved in firearms for very long.

Yes there are rules to firearm safety that should not be broken. However there are also times when rules have to be ignored and it's fine to do so as long as everyone involved knows what they're doing. You'd probably **** a brick if you ever saw someone checking the fit of someone else's shotgun. Considering that the instructor had the student point the gun in his direction, it's probably safe for you to assume that they weren't simply assuming it was unloaded.

Did it ever occur to you to simply ask the guy why he did it after he was done with the customer? Have you ever considered that it's not really possible to see how someone's eye is lined up with a barrel/sights without being in front of the person? It doesn't sound as if the employee was standing there against his will, or that she was waving it around sweeping people randomly.

Skip to 1:30 and prepare to **** a brick

Last edited by Merc1138; 03-01-2013 at 9:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,041
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350skylark View Post
im sure its nothing you haven't heard or seen before but it was my first time really seeing it, I was checking for ammo and a girl was there buying her first gun, one of the workers was helping her out with her grip and giving her advice. The problem was he was standing directly in front of the muzzle the whole time she was literally lining up the sights right at his chest and he wasn't saying a thing about muzzle discipline. I haven't been in this life style for very long (only 21 and bought my first handgun on my birthday). I didn't say anything but looking back i feel like i should have said something, would you have said something?
When I was in the gun business, SOP was to tell the customer that my chest and the wall behind me are safe, but no where else. Other customers get upset if they're flagged, but it's standard for employees
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 PM
alfred1222's Avatar
alfred1222 alfred1222 is offline
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 7,041
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
You said above in the OP you haven't been involved in firearms for very long.

Yes there are rules to firearm safety that should not be broken. However there are also times when rules have to be ignored and it's fine to do so as long as everyone involved knows what they're doing. You'd probably **** a brick if you ever saw someone checking the fit of someone else's shotgun. Considering that the instructor had the student point the gun in his direction, it's probably safe for you to assume that they weren't simply assuming it was unloaded.

Did it ever occur to you to simply ask the guy why he did it after he was done with the customer? Have you ever considered that it's not really possible to see how someone's eye is lined up with a barrel/sights without being in front of the person? It doesn't sound as if the employee was standing there against his will, or that she was waving it around sweeping people randomly.

Skip to 1:30 and prepare to **** a brick
That's exactly how you do the preliminary fits for a shotgun... No bricks have been shat
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This guy is a complete and total idiot.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Merc1138 Merc1138 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,278
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
That's exactly how you do the preliminary fits for a shotgun... No bricks have been shat
I know, that was directed to the OP. He'll either learn, or spazz out at the keyboard ranting about anal retentive gun safety while ignoring practical safety.

Last edited by Merc1138; 03-02-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2013, 9:02 AM
350skylark's Avatar
350skylark 350skylark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 1,440
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
I know, that was directed to the OP. He'll either learn, or spazz out at the keyboard ranting about anal retentive gun safety while ignoring practical safety.
nope no bricks shat here either, was just new to me
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
tcrpe's Avatar
tcrpe tcrpe is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 10,272
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

The best way to avoid shooting someone is to not point a gun at them.

Simple enough.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2013, 1:54 PM
JDay's Avatar
JDay JDay is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: El Dorado County
Posts: 18,846
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Was she hot?


Somebody had to ask.
__________________
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:18 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.