Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-01-2013, 5:32 PM

Default Base and ring height recommendation please

I have a Howa 1500, in .308 win, with a 20" heavy barrel on order. It has the hogue stock on it. I also have a Burris Fullfield 3x-9x40mm to mount on it. This is my first bolt action rifle so I have no knowledge of what type of rings and bases to buy - one piece or two piece, steel or aluminum, height and style (weaver, picatinny, ?) of rings.

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna have this professionally installed because I don't want to mess this up.
Old 03-01-2013, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

You can mount a 40mm objective pretty low, and on bolt actions in general it's best to get the scope as low as possible for a good cheek weld. I'd suggest going with a one piece base made from steel with built in 20 moa slope. The single piece construction will bridge the opening in the top of the receiver, adding a bit of rigidity as well as ensuring proper alignment between front and rear scope rings. I would go with steel not so much for the added strength it has over aluminum, but because it will have the same thermal expansion properties as the steel receiver on the rifle. An aluminum base will have different expansion characteristics than steel, which over time can lead to shifting zero or even loosening of the mounting screws holding the rail to the receiver.

Look into getting some low height steel rings as well. I prefer steel for rings also, but Aluminum does a pretty good job as well, you just need to be mindful to check torque on the cross bolts after big temperature changes. TPS Products make excellent rings that compare with most of the top tier stuff available:

http://www.tpsproducts.com/
Old 03-01-2013, 7:03 PM

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. One last question: I see 30 mm and 40 mm rings. What do I need and how do you determine that?
Old 03-01-2013, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. One last question: I see 30 mm and 40 mm rings. What do I need and how do you determine that?
Thats refering to the diameter of the scopes main tube. Depending on which version of the Burris 3-9X40 you have, it will be either 1" or 30mm tube.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:29 AM

I understand. I did a little research and cheaper than dirt had an informative article about scopes, rings, bases, etc.

I ran across this product while looking for bases and rings. It's aluminum but has good reviews and is cheap. It looks like something I could install myself with a torque wrench. I'll need to purchase one to recheck the screws from time to time.

I plan using the rifle at the range, a once a year dear hunt and possible a pig hunt. I don't see myself shooting any further than 300 yards.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 8:30 AM

http://www.dnzproducts.com/game-reap...h-medium-black

They have a low mount too.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

This comes up often, and it is important for you to understand your rifle best.

As far as bases and rings, nothing beats Seekins for the quality and price. In fact, it's probably up there with the best rings/bases/mounts money can buy.

You MUST measure your scope and rifle yourself to understand/obtain the adequate amount of clearance.

Remember, different manufactures measure rings differently. Many DO NOT measure from center line to base, they measure overall height (incorrect). You need to verify HOW a manufacture measures their rings before purchasing the right ones.

You want your scope as close to the barrel as possible. A one dollar thickness is a good distance that won't affect barrel harmonics.

Here are one of the posts that I've replied to in the past, regarding measurement:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showt...66#post9085366

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.