Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-08-2013, 8:03 PM

Default Grandfathers Old Colt.

Hey guys this is my first time dealing with a revolver. I just have questions on it followed with pics.
first there is some wierd stuff on the exterior of the barrel.

photo hosting sites
it won't half cock either to load just goes straight to full cock. i just wanted to know will it be safe yo fire? i will try to post interior barrel pics.

photo hosting sites the Breach. i need a better camera sorry

photo uploader
Old 03-08-2013, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

I think that "Stuff" on the barrel is just the old Carbonia bluing finish (or what's left of it). It didn't look smooth like hot bluing, or rust bluing does; it looked "aqueous" (for lack of a better term). I think that's all it is but I could be wrong.

As for the half-cock problem, it could be a few things. Try pulling forward on the trigger while cocking the hammer, and see if it cocks. If so, your trigger could be broken. If not that, the detents on the hammer could be worn.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT WORK ON THAT PISTOL WITH REGULAR SCREWDRIVERS!!!! The head pitch is different, and you will damage them. Get an inexpensive set of gunsmithing screwdrivers.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like a second or third generation Colt, made after 1956. No carbona bluing on those. Does the serial number have any letters in it? Like an "SA" prefix or suffix? Does the bushing in the cylinder come out?

From your description, the half cock notch on the hammer is worn or broken, along with a fubar trigger. Not an uncommon problem with single actions that have been flogged or "gunsmithed".
Have seen finish damage similar to that by being stored in a holster or wrapped in a rag for years.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM

That looks like the metal has been etched by water due to poor storage. +1 on the half cock notch being broken. Since the gun is loaded by bringing the hammer to the half cock position and then loading the cylinder, it is NOT safe to load until the hammer is repaired.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a SA prefix, Post '78 3rd Gen that's been rode hard and put up wet. The half cock problem could be a broken hammer notch, and /or the trigger screw is over tightened and probably missing the washer. Back the screw out a half turn, and see if the hammer catches on the half cock.
The base pin screws are missing, did you take them out to remove the base pin?
Old 03-09-2013, 5:16 AM

To me it looks like someone slathered some type of goop on this pistol thinking that it would provide longterm protection against rust, and instead it etched the metal.
Old 03-14-2013, 8:32 PM

Thank you gentleman for all the replies. the srew was overtighten half cock works now. just had a question about the bore is this safe to fire or pitted to hell.

photo hosting sites
Old 03-14-2013, 8:35 PM

image hosting sites
Larger photo sorry.