Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 02-26-2013, 9:46 PM

Default I dont know exactly where to post this question, but I need a gun safe

I need a gun safe under $1000, but is the best bang for the buck? I have seen a few good ones on costco.com and tractorsupply.com. Does anyone have an specific recommendations. Right now all I can afford is $1000.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:51 PM

There is a safe thread. But to answer your second question check out the Sun Welding Company Renegade 30. Great safe for about $1000 delivered made in California. Of course like everything else, it really depends on what you need (space for rifles, fire protection, overall size, etc).
Old 02-26-2013, 9:54 PM

Costco sells safe made by Cannon, which makes great safes, check out their website. Cannon safes through other distributors cost around $1000, at Costco you will pay between $500-$600. The reason for the price difference is because instead of the lifetime warranty you only get a year warranty from the manufacturer, but Costco has good return policy. Also these safes all have relockers last I checked them out at Costco. Really best bang for your buck.

Here's the cannon safes sold at Costco on the cannon website.
http://www.cannonsafe.com/series/scout.html
Old 02-26-2013, 9:55 PM

I have a pretty good mix of guns. Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns. The longest gun I currently own is a Nagant. I have about 20-25 guns and my current 24 gun case is pretty much at capacity so I need something that would hold at least 35+ guns.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

This helped me a lot and made me question my budget(went higher after this)! Called them yesterday he called back today and answered all my questions.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwlogan13 View Post
Costco sells safe made by Cannon, which makes great safes, check out their website. Cannon safes through other distributors cost around $1000, at Costco you will pay between $500-$600. The reason for the price difference is because instead of the lifetime warranty you only get a year warranty from the manufacturer, but Costco has good return policy. Also these safes all have relockers last I checked them out at Costco. Really best bang for your buck.

Here's the cannon safes sold at Costco on the cannon website.
http://www.cannonsafe.com/series/scout.html
Hmm, I remember seeing these before on the costco.com website, but I just visited it right now and there aren't any listed on the website. I will check their store tomorrow to see if they have any.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiZZ View Post
Hmm, I remember seeing these before on the costco.com website, but I just visited it right now and there aren't any listed on the website. I will check their store tomorrow to see if they have any.
You probably won't see a gun safe in store, you might see a Winchester $399 or so small/short safe designed for documents and small things.

Costco had in January a sale on the Rhino/Big Horn for $569 and this month they had a Cannon CS24 (?) around a slightly lower price.

If the cycle is true, you should see the Rhino/Big Horn again for March.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:54 AM

you're going to need to up your budget if you're looking for at least a 35 gun capacity. as many will say, rule of thumb is to buy a safe that is at least twice what you think you may need. seeing as you already have some 20-25 firearms, i'd save to get a bigger safe. unless you want to get an additional safe to what you already have?

BTW, i work for Costco and the return policy is great, but i wouldn't touch one of those Cannons with a 6ft pole.

seeing as you're a 49ers fan (GO NINERS!!!!), and you may live in the Bay, check out libertysafe in SJ, namely Campbell.

Last edited by esy; 02-27-2013 at 1:57 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 7:30 AM

Checked 2 weeks ago and the Cannon was sold out. Now its not listed. In the market for one myself.
Old 02-27-2013, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

I wouold suggest you watch this vid as it could help you in your choice.

Old 02-27-2013, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

$1000 budget as in OTD with taxes & shipping/delivery fees included? If so, then you're basically needing to look around the $700 price range, unless you luck out with getting a Costco safe that's not sold out and has free shipping (just to your curb, not inside).

Also prices are going to vary with the size, so you need to say how big of a safe you're looking for.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM

I would save some more money, and get a sturdysafe.com. They do have a lay-a-way program(just ask about it).

And since you live it California it seems the prices are cheaper for us because shipping is included in their prices on the website. So, you can just get a quote from them and see what it comes out to.

I already have one of their safes in the 5ft model and it fits my k31 and yugo m48 in length just fine. And i was so impressed with the build quality of my first safe, that I got the OK from the wife to buy another one, which is currently being made.

mike
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM

I have a Cannon safe I got from Costco years ago and very happy with it. I like the ease of the electronic lock, but had concerns about EMP effect on the lock. I just read about Cannon new Dual Access EMP lock system and I think this is the way to go. Unfortunately, per Cannon tech support, my safe can't be retrofitted. Guess I will need to buy more guns to justify a new safe
Old 02-28-2013, 9:33 PM

I guess I should wait it out a month or so and save another 4 to 500 bucks.
Old 03-01-2013, 2:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I guess I should wait it out a month or so and save another 4 to 500 bucks.
I'd save another $1000 or so. Figure out what size safe you need and get one 2x the size. Safes only tend to hold half the guns they're rated for and you'll fill the shelves up quickly with other stuff. And don't forget to have it bolted to your foundation, otherwise it's trivial to get into most RSC rated safes.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM

I was looking into Liberty gun safes that are sold on Lowes.com. I like the Liberty Franklin 27 gun case and the Liberty Colonial 30 gun safe. The Franklin is $1800 and the Colonial is $1200. What do you guys think about these safes? Are they quality or should I wait for the Cannon deals through Costco?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check the actual steel thickness. Personally, you have to decide whether 12ga steel is what you want to spend that much money on. I would either save for a Sturdy Safe, or buy a $600-800 Costco safe and hope for the best. Security in layers.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I was looking into Liberty gun safes that are sold on Lowes.com. I like the Liberty Franklin 27 gun case and the Liberty Colonial 30 gun safe. The Franklin is $1800 and the Colonial is $1200. What do you guys think about these safes? Are they quality or should I wait for the Cannon deals through Costco?
Walk into a business that deals, sells, and installs safes (i.e. Liberty Safe in SJ) and ask questions. Have an open mind and have them explain differences to you, having a steel door, composite door, how much steel in the door, how much steel in the body of the safe, dial lock v e-lock, differences between the different e-locks, the UL ratings, etc., etc.

Ask them to show you what breaking into a Liberty or Superior (main brands that they sell) v a Sentry, Cannon, Winchester, etc. type of safe at the same price point/size.

Feel what the safes feel like, weight of door, quality of product, etc. ask them for opinions of certain safes and why you should get a Liberty safe v their Lowe's Centurion safe, which is typically their overseas made Liberty safes.

Again, i wouldn't wait on a Costco Cannon. For safes, i have found that you trly get what you pay for. I got a Superior Sport 21, for the time being, and i'll probably get a larger Fatboy, Franklin or something down the road. As large as some of those 35-40 gun safes are, they're actually pretty inexpensive from what i've seen at Liberty.
Old 03-06-2013, 5:03 PM

I think I have made my decision and am going to go with the Liberty Franklin.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM

I got a Home Depot safe (can you actually call that tin box a safe ?) a year ago, I really needed something as I had run out of room in my other safe. It was the best I could afford at the time, I paid $400 for it and recently sold it for $300, It was better than nothing until I could get a proper safe. I really like Sun Welding Pony Express line
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I think I have made my decision and am going to go with the Liberty Franklin.
Nice choice! Those Libertys are defintely very nice safes. Whenever i get around to upsizing down the road, not sure what i'd actually get. The National Security is a really nice safe and obviously more expensive.
Old 03-09-2013, 8:28 PM

Got my safe today. Guy on Craigslist was selling this awesome Liberty Franklin 50 gun safe, its practically in brand new condition. Gonna rearrange the shelving tomorrow, bolt it down and put the guns in it. Here is a pic. The best part is I got it at a pretty sweet deal, $1400