Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-26-2013, 7:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Default 22 LR rifle opinions! 10/22 and CZ455s!

Hello all,

lately i've been obsessed with researching on 22 LR rifles.

originally, i really wanted a 10/22 TD. (i still want one and i'm still trying hard to find one in the bay area)

but then i found myself drooling after a CZ 455s or 453s. Are the bolt action 22 guys really that much more accurate?

also.. anyone know where i come across any of these bad boys or order them in the bay area?

i'm not doing competition shooting or anything, just plinking mostly, and cheap practice i just picked up an m1a scout and right now at a more than a dollar than a round, i can't afford to shoot and familiarize myself with it as much as i want to.

Last edited by ebolamonkey; 02-26-2013 at 7:21 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 7:29 PM

For what its worth the 455 is silly accurate. Almost boring if all you are aiming at is paper.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:48 PM

I also wanted a 455. The multi barrel 22lr & 17hmr combo package is a cool option. I found them at Guns Fishing and Other Stuff in Vacaville, Reeds and Krauswerk in the South Bay and Target Masters in Milpitas, which I think had the best price. Good luck!

Last edited by hernando; 02-26-2013 at 7:52 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 7:48 PM
CGN Contributor

so what you are saying is i need both of them.... further confirming my suspicions... i'll give them a call tomorrow. I was just wondering if aynone has tried to order a cz recently. is there an ungodly wait time?

Last edited by ebolamonkey; 02-26-2013 at 7:52 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 7:55 PM

10/22's are fun if your into aftermarket mods.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:36 PM

True 10/22's are fun to modify, and a good way to empty your wallet I built up a sickly accurate 10/22 22mag with a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel. If you're in need of semi auto then the 10/22's the way to go. I think you can get the same accuracy as a custom 10/22 out of a CZ bolt for 1/2 the price if money's a concern. You may also want to look at the 452 cz trainer 22lr. It has quite a following. I think many of the places I listed have that rifle too. I also found one at Canyon Sports in Martinez
Old 02-26-2013, 8:37 PM

You need both, I only say this because I found out I needed both. Now I'm happy.....well happy enough for now.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If you can't find a KIDD 10/22 then I'd go with CZ. A bit cheaper is the Savage Mk II.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:42 PM
CGN Contributor

i guess ill have to call around. if anyone has seen a cz 455 or a ruger takedown recently near the bay area let me know!
Old 02-26-2013, 9:41 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Out of the box the CZ 455 will shoot circles around a stock 10/22. Gotta spend extra $$$ to get a 10/22 to shoot with a CZ of any model. You will find most CZs will shoot MOA or Sub-MOA without any modifications except a good scope or some nice Aperture Target sights on the Trainer or UltraLux.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:52 PM

anyone in socal have cz's in stock or is that just a silly question?
Old 02-26-2013, 9:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Another factor is that if SB47 passes, you will have to register a 10/22 and it will eventually be confiscated, although I suppose one could say that as soon as all of the semi-autos are confiscated, they will then come after the bolt actions next.

I bought my son a 10/22, they are great little guns and fun to customize. The CZ out of the box is much more accurate. I have always wanted a CZ 22' I have a 527 Varmint in .223, a CZ75 SP-01 and a CZ82, they are all great guns.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Another factor is that if SB47 passes, you will have to register a 10/22 and it will eventually be confiscated, although I suppose one could say that as soon as all of the semi-autos are confiscated, they will then come after the bolt actions next.

I bought my son a 10/22, they are great little guns and fun to customize. The CZ out of the box is much more accurate. I have always wanted a CZ 22' I have a 527 Varmint in .223, a CZ75 SP-01 and a CZ82, they are all great guns.
Only if sissy men allow them to be taken, huh?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM

Why not both? CMP winners for t-class (telescopic sights) use 10/22's. CMP winners for o-class (open sights) use CZ's. I would buy both and use them for their respective strengths.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM

I haven't checked in a couple days, but Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville has been sitting on two 10/22 Takedowns for a couple weeks. Priced at $360.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Oh I don't plan on letting anyone take any of my guns but they won't be very useful if after confiscation kicks in, all semi-autos are illegal. No shooting range, being paranoid of getting caught shooting on BLM land, sure, you will be able to keep them for SHTF/HD, but what's the fun of that as far as actually shooting them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Only if sissy men allow them to be taken, huh?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Oh I don't plan on letting anyone take any of my guns but they won't be very useful if after confiscation kicks in, all semi-autos are illegal.
Why do you think everything will be confiscated? The goverment can't make something illegal that was once legal and not pay you fair market value for or grandfather it into the new law. At most once your gone it will have to be destroyed or sold out of the state it is now illegal in. Remember only the receiver is registered and not the parts.
Old 03-05-2013, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
Why do you think everything will be confiscated? The goverment can't make something illegal that was once legal and not pay you fair market value for or grandfather it into the new law. At most once your gone it will have to be destroyed or sold out of the state it is now illegal in. Remember only the receiver is registered and not the parts.
You don't really know your government...

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 03-05-2013, 8:35 PM

I am surprised no one has chimed in and asked you what is your purpose for the rifle? The 10/22 is really accurate for its purpose. My friend put his first round 1 inch left of the bull at 100 yards on the very first shot using the iron sights. So shooting is somewhat up to the person behind the trigger. I personally do a few modifications to every 10/22 I own that cost me nothing and improve the accuracy. Both guns you are mentioning have slightly different purposes IMO. Both can feed you quite efficiently but which one takes down into a small package and can go with you anywhere easily? Foe me, I would want both, but I would set a priority as to which one first. Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:24 AM

Since you said you would use the rifle for plinking the 10/22 might be the logical first choice.

I started my CZ/Brno collection with a 1940's Brno #1, that is still my most accurate rimfire. Since then I've acquired another Brno, and two CZ452's.

They are addicting. They are very well made, very accurate and offer numerous variations of the same rifle, like the full stock and the long barrel CZ452 Ultra Lux...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furncliff View Post
like the full stock and the long barrel CZ452 Ultra Lux...
which is almost impossible to find
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM

A bolt action will always be more accurate than a semi-auto. It just depends, do you want a bolt action, very accurate gun, or a less accurate but semi auto guns?

Is it for target shooting or just fun plinking?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

CZ512 and be done with it. CZ quality in semi-auto form.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Using target ammo a CZ455 or CZ453 are (unless you get a lemon) really-really accurate right out of the box. On the other hand a 10/22 is just so-so right out of the box. A 10/22 can be modified to be just as accurate or perhaps more accurate but you'll spend hundreds of dollars and tens of hours into getting it there.

If you buy a CZ match the model to your use. A Lux model is designed for use with open sights while the American and Varmint models are for use with a scope.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Gentlemen, thank you for your valuable input. I have decided to do the right thing...

and just get them both. (the cz 512 seems like a cool idea but two is better than one and i cant find a 512 right now)

I saw a CZ 455 amurican at target masters west last night and put it on hold to pick it up today. Also pre-ordered a 10/22 takedown.

Doesnt hurt to have 2 rimfires, this way i can plink around with my girl without scaring her (I only have 308 rifles) and when i take my two nephews out to shoot they can both shoot. I just need to figure out some decent QD rings and scope for the CZ now.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolamonkey View Post
Doesnt hurt to have 2 rimfires, this way i can plink around with my girl without scaring her (I only have 308 rifles) and when i take my two nephews out to shoot they can both shoot. I just need to figure out some decent QD rings and scope for the CZ now.
Forget the QD rings and save up for a nice short Leopold VX-1 2-7x28 rimfire for the Ruger and a Weaver V16 or V24 for the CZ. Cheap Leopold Rifleman rings are fine for the Ruger but I'd use genuine CZ meduim rings for the CZ. CZs have a wide bolt throw so the scope needs to sit kind of high. Also the CZ has an 11mm rail while the Ruger's is both 3/8 and Weaver.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Last edited by sholling; 03-06-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM

My vote goes for the CZ. I just picked up the 455 in .22LR, with a .17HMR barrel swap on the way. The gun is a dream to shoot and well worth the extra $100 over the Savage options. The fit and finish is just superb, and barrel changes are caveman simple, and it is laser accurate.
PM me if you're ever down in the San Diego area, would be more than happy to let you try it out you bring the ammo!
Thanks,
Erik
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
Why do you think everything will be confiscated?
Simple. Learn your history. Human behavior doesn't change, has never changed. Registration = confiscation. Since you don't "get it", let's break this down. In a country with 250-300 million guns in circulation, with probably 1/3rd of them not registered, stolen, illegal, etc. what legitimate purpose does registration serve? There is zero legitimate purpose besides making eventual confiscation easier and more convenient for the leadership.

You're thinking that the government of California must somehow care about or be beholden to the 2A. That is naive. Their goal is total disarmament and they will not rest until we are like the U.K. Europe and Australia.

The only discussion point is how long confiscation will take.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM

There were ruger takedowns and some regular 10/22s at Salinas Hunter supply, about a week ago. I will be going in on Tuesday to do a pickup, I will let you know if they are still there.
Actually got one myself about a month ago.
Not really in the Bay area, but, not too far.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-06-2013, 2:15 PM
CGN Contributor

I just put my CZ 455 in jail! Somebody had already scratched her b/c she was sitting on the rack for the day but that's okay hah. I can't wait to shoot it! I need to order some rings and scope for it!

If anyone has any advice that would be great. I don't really have a budget but i recognize this is just rimfire and i don't expect to be reaching out 500 yards or anything. I'm not going to buy S&B or Nightforce for this. for a scope i was just going to look at swfa at rimfire scopes. Which also brings me to my question of whats the difference between a normal scope and rimfire scopes. why even have this distinction? Looking at swfa the nikon prostaff and leupold offerings look decent? Is this overkill?

I'll def want to/have to Scope my CZ. Thanks for your advice sholling, i''ll look into genuine CZ rings.

Yes, now i have a few places that i'm waiting in line for a 10/22 TD. thanks omnitravis. I'll just give salinas a call. that is a bit of a drive for me though... but since i am very impatient... we'll see!

for a stock 10/22 does it really benefit a lot from a scope? i was just going to plink with it with iron sights. How are the irons on a 10/22?

Last edited by ebolamonkey; 03-06-2013 at 2:17 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If anyone has any advice that would be great. I don't really have a budget but i recognize this is just rimfire and i don't expect to be reaching out 500 yards or anything. I'm not going to buy S&B or Nightforce for this. for a scope i was just going to look at swfa at rimfire scopes. Which also brings me to my question of whats the difference between a normal scope and rimfire scopes. why even have this distinction? Looking at swfa the nikon prostaff and leupold offerings look decent? Is this overkill?
Fixed focus rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at roughly 50 or 60 yards depending on the manufacturer while centerfire scopes are set to be parallax free at roughly 100 or 120yds. Rimfire scopes with an adjustable objective (AO) are nearly parallax free at whatever distance you have it focused for. Rimfire scopes with AO just tend to be a bit smaller than their centerfire cousins and aren't built to withstand the recoil of a 30-06. As far as the quality of the opitcs go Leopold's VX-1 rimfire is on par with their VX-1 centerfire scopes and Weaver's Classic RV series is on par with their Classic line of centerfire scopes - in other words pretty good and in the case of the Weavers a real bargain for a scope of that quality.

As for how much scope to put on the CZ I covered hunting vs target shooting earlier. Most rimfire competitions are held at 50yds or at 50m and the Mueller is a popular choice for those just starting out because it's cheap and has decent optics for the price. The downside is the crosshairs are a bit thick for super fine work. The Weaver V16 and V24 offer a bit more clarity and in some cases finer crosshairs that lets you see well enough to work on those one-hole groups.

Quote:
for a stock 10/22 does it really benefit a lot from a scope? i was just going to plink with it with iron sights. How are the irons on a 10/22?
That's personal taste. You asked about QD rings which left the impression that you wanted to share a scope between both rifles. I suggested Leopold's VX-1 and FX-1 rimfires because they're the only really good ones (other than the Weaver 10" long RV4) I know of that are short enough to leave attached. If you like open sights then by all means use open sights.

Last edited by sholling; 03-06-2013 at 6:39 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 3:29 PM

My next 10/22 I'm going iron sights. Tech Sights to be exact. Check them out.

Old 03-06-2013, 4:28 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
As for how much scope to put on the CZ I covered hunting vs target shooting earlier.
Hmm. i could not find what you had to say about this.

Quote:
The Weave V16 and V24 offer a bit more clarity and in some cases finer crosshairs that lets you see well enough to work on those one-hole groups.
So you recommend a non-rimfire designated scope for the CZ. I noticed you did not recommend a rimfire Weaver scope. Forgive my ignorance, but shooting out to 50 yards, does a 22lr rifle really benefit from 24x magnification? Some people i talk to tell me that the 22lr will not shoot well much further than 100 yards.

Quote:
You asked about QD rings which left the impression that you wanted to share a scope between both rifles.
I dunno, i just like QD rings but that does seem silly. No I plan on parking something long-term on the CZ rifle. and yes, i think i'm going to try open sights on the 10/22 first. we'll see if i can find one in the meantime.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hmm. i could not find what you had to say about this.
Oops I had brain fart from replying to too many threads. For hunting I like a fixed focus rimfire scope like a Weaver RV4 4x28 (~$120) or RV7 2.5-7x28 ($140), or a Sightron S1 3-9x32 ($120), or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC ($150). All are good rimfire scopes scopes. I like fixed focus for hunting and plinking because it's fast on target because you aren't fiddling with focus rings. Of those I'd probably go with the Nikon because it'll look a bit better on the CZ. For hunting you want a rimfire scope because they are set nearly parallax free at either 50 or 60 yards depending on the brand. Fixed focus centerfire scopes are set for 100 or 120 yards. Those are fixed focus scopes, a scope with an adjustable objective (AO) has to be focused before shooting but are parallax free when in focus. Parallax Explained

Quote:
So you recommend a non-rimfire designated scope for the CZ. I noticed you did not recommend a rimfire Weaver scope. Forgive my ignorance, but shooting out to 50 yards, does a 22lr rifle really benefit from 24x magnification? Some people i talk to tell me that the 22lr will not shoot well much further than 100 yards.
It depends on the use. For hunting see above, for target shooting then maybe - if the scope has an adjustable objective (adjustable focus and parallax). Shooting cheap ammo that CZ will probably produce 1" groups at 50yds with an occasional flyer. Using match ammo like Wolf match the rifle is capable of less than 1/2 at 50yds. If you can see well enough to (with practice) put 5rds into inside a dime at 50yds with a 9x scope then a Weaver RV9 3-9x32 rimfire with AO or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire with AO will work fine. I can't see that well so I use 24x.

Top Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver RV9, 2nd and 3rd Ruger 10/22s with Weaver V24scopes, bottom my old CZ with a huge Weaver T24 target scope.

I dunno, i just like QD rings but that does seem silly. No I plan on parking something long-term on the CZ rifle. and yes, i think i'm going to try open sights on the 10/22 first. we'll see if i can find one in the meantime.[/QUOTE]
You may want to install Tech-Sight. In fact that would be ideal for an Appleseed course.

Last edited by sholling; 03-06-2013 at 7:14 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Gentlemen, thank you for your valuable input. I have decided to do the right thing...

and just get them both. (the cz 512 seems like a cool idea but two is better than one and i cant find a 512 right now)

I saw a CZ 455 amurican at target masters west last night and put it on hold to pick it up today. Also pre-ordered a 10/22 takedown.

Small world. I was in there on Tuesday looking at the same gun. I ended up going with the 453.

If you are looking for the Ruger 10/22 take-down, US Firearms has one but it's only for show.

Also, Annie's Guns has a Ruger 10/22 on the shelf for around $300
Old 03-07-2013, 8:13 AM
CGN Contributor

oh cool, which 453 did you get? yeah, i saw the takedown at us firearms they wouldn't sell it to me hah
Old 03-07-2013, 3:32 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Oops I had brain fart from replying to too many threads. For hunting I like a fixed focus rimfire scope like a Weaver RV4 4x28 (~$120) or RV7 2.5-7x28 ($140), or a Sightron S1 3-9x32 ($120), or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC ($150). All are good rimfire scopes scopes. I like fixed focus for hunting and plinking because it's fast on target because you aren't fiddling with focus rings. Of those I'd probably go with the Nikon because it'll look a bit better on the CZ. For hunting you want a rimfire scope because they are set nearly parallax free at either 50 or 60 yards depending on the brand. Fixed focus centerfire scopes are set for 100 or 120 yards. Those are fixed focus scopes, a scope with an adjustable objective (AO) has to be focused before shooting but are parallax free when in focus. Parallax Explained

It depends on the use. For hunting see above, for target shooting then maybe - if the scope has an adjustable objective (adjustable focus and parallax). Shooting cheap ammo that CZ will probably produce 1" groups at 50yds with an occasional flyer. Using match ammo like Wolf match the rifle is capable of less than 1/2 at 50yds. If you can see well enough to (with practice) put 5rds into inside a dime at 50yds with a 9x scope then a Weaver RV9 3-9x32 rimfire with AO or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire with AO will work fine. I can't see that well so I use 24x.

Top Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver RV9, 2nd and 3rd Ruger 10/22s with Weaver V24scopes, bottom my old CZ with a huge Weaver T24 target scope.

I dunno, i just like QD rings but that does seem silly. No I plan on parking something long-term on the CZ rifle. and yes, i think i'm going to try open sights on the 10/22 first. we'll see if i can find one in the meantime.
You may want to install Tech-Sight. In fact that would be ideal for an Appleseed course.[/QUOTE]

I can wholeheartedly second the above post. I met "Sholling" today at our local range and he brought 3 tricked out 10/22s and an Anschutz 64. I had the pleasure of looking thru both a Weaver V-24 and a T-24 and the clarity and reticle of those scopes is, in a word, amazing. The T-24 will be my next scope. I was able to shoot two of the 10/22s and the Anschutz 64 and was amazed with the accuracy of all three but the Anschutz was the the most accurate with 5 shots thru the same hole ( and not just touching, but the same hole) at 50yds with the T-24 scope. Anyone would be hard pressed to do this with the same rifle and a less powerful scope at the tiny targets we were shooting. Plinking, hunting and benchrest shooting are in three different worlds and its difficult to find a scope that is good for all three but the Weaver 6-24X V-24 would be my choice, just an excellent all around scope.
Old 03-08-2013, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
... but the Weaver 6-24X V-24 would be my choice, just an excellent all around scope.
Is this the one?
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...eticle%20Matte

Old 03-08-2013, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicronuT View Post
every DOJ classified "AW" that people bought before 2000, became an illegal AW if you didnt register it, in the end of 99. it happened, and it will happen again. they made what you already owned, illegal for alot-lot of people
It's extortion really. They will make your stuff illegal UNLESS you pay them a "registration" fee. But you know, it's fine if you bought a house in 1940 and want to pay $500 in property taxes every year, that's cool, we'll grandfather that in.
Old 03-08-2013, 9:55 AM

CZ more a tack driver than the 10/22