Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-26-2013, 3:31 AM

Default Colt SAA vs Clones vs Ruger Vaquero

Well I've had the itch to buy a single action revolver. While owning a genuine Colt would be awesome based on the history, I don't know if it is worth the price.

I know Uberti makes some decent clones in the El Patron, Taylor and Company Smoke Wagon and Cimarron Evil Roy that stay true to the original design. They can be had for half the cost of a Colt.

The Vaquero, though different from the original, is a well built gun from what I've heard. Although, I prefer the "4 Clicks" of the Colts and Clones for authenticity.

So if it was your money, are you just buying the name for the Colt? Or are the clones good enough for half the price? Or would you skip authenticity for the new Ruger design?
Old 02-26-2013, 4:19 AM

I have had them all and in my opinion it really depends on what you want it for. The Ruger is a very strong gun that will last forever and the Uberti's are 1/3 the cost of a Colt.

But there is nothing like a real Colt SAA. I don't buy guns because one is perceived by the internet gun community as being better than another. I buy what I want because that is what I want. While the Ruger is stronger and the Uberti is cheaper, I wanted a Colt.

Worth the price? If you had bought a Colt back in 1980 and wanted to sell it today you would get your money back plus inflation. If you had bought a clone, you would probably get most of what you paid for it back not including inflation.

In 40 years of buying, selling and enjoying guns, I find that the price is largely secondary to the reason why I want a particular gun.

This is my current Colt single action. I only have one so far as my interests in revolvers tend more towards S&W's, but if another turns up for a good price, I will certainly buy it.

Old 02-26-2013, 7:03 AM

If money wasn't an issue, I'd love to buy a Colt SAA. But they're way out of my price range. So I bought a New Vaquero. It's a solid pistol and shoots great, worth every penny.

These are 2 of my 357's

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361894555.208826.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

I chose 'authenticity' as a priority so I went Cimarron/Uberti & couldn't be happier. I plan on getting a 'model-p' next. I've sent Cimarron a few e-mails & I'd have to say they have good customer service. I can't knock the Vaquero as it is a more durable design & very popular.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Cimmaron Sheriff's model with the 3.5" barrel in .357. While Colt parts are interchangeable, I knew from the start I wasn't buying a Colt.

El Paso made a custom John Wayne rig for it, and I've worn it open carry often....back in the good 'ol days when we could. It's a handful with full power loads, but .38's are fun for all day shooting.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 02-26-2013, 9:26 AM

Uberti is coming out with a new SAA called the Horseman with transfer bar safety and a coil mainspring. Looks pretty promising and similar to the Beretta Stampede.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873-horseman.php

Was going to wait for that or get a tuned Smoke Wagon for Long Hunter Shooting Supply.

http://www.longhunt.com/taylor/smokewagon.htm
Old 02-26-2013, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I'd go Vaquero

Transfer bar is better than keeping a rolled up $20 bill in your empty chamber. The coil springs are nearly indestructable. If you want a lifetime, trouble free gun the Ruger would be my choice.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:47 AM

First, I would buy only American-made 1873 originals or clones. That leaves Colt or Ruger (yeah, I know there's USFA, but their guns are hard to find).

If you buy a Colt, say it'll cost about $1400. If you plan to collect it, then you're done. No point in buying it to shoot. If you plan to shoot it, it diminishes the value of the Colt. Colts are not as stout as the Rugers. If you want authenticity and price is not an object, shoot a Colt.

Now I just bought a Ruger New Vaquero for $500. It has the same look and feel as the Colt. Its also safer and more rugged. Is it 100% authentic? No, but I don't care since I am buying it to shoot, not to examine under a microscope. And I don't care about resell value.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM

If for any practical purpose like hunting, certainly the New Vaquero (or an old one, those are even less like Colt SAA and are more tank like...having their own loading data, not safe in others!)

The transfer bar means six rounds carried safely, you can shoot hotter loads, and you can shoot a ton. I have fired over 10,000 out of my .357 New Vaquero Accurate as can be
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Transfer bar system is worth more to me than any "authenticity" of the other options. Plus I know the gun will last my great-great-grandchildren a lifetime.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM

I have no idea, buy why is it that Ruger can make a single action revolver and sell it so much cheaper than Colt can? This was true way back when Rugers first came out and still today.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

I was able to pick up one from a friend made by usfirearms, They look great and shoot awesome.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Pretty simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
I have no idea, buy why is it that Ruger can make a single action revolver and sell it so much cheaper than Colt can? This was true way back when Rugers first came out and still today.
The colt was designed for a time when there was little power machinery and a lot of skilled labor required to finish the product. Modern day firearms are produced by a lot of precise machinery and not nearly as many skilled laborers.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM

As highpower said, it depends on what you want. To me it is worth the money to have a real SAA, so I have Colt's.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you ask this question to the SASS the majority recommend the Ruger Vaquero.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcliffe View Post
The colt was designed for a time when there was little power machinery and a lot of skilled labor required to finish the product. Modern day firearms are produced by a lot of precise machinery and not nearly as many skilled laborers.
Well, that doesn't explain "modern" Cost SAA made on 1970's equipment. Why do they cost so much compared to Ruger Vaqueros that were made at the same time?

Why does a Colt M4/16 cost the taxpayer $1500 instead of $800?

Cuz it says "Colt".

That Uberti Horseman looks nice! I wouldn't mind a Ruger New Vaquero for sure! I'm practical, I'd love a Colt SAA, but I'd want to shoot it and I'd want the transfer bar, so I'd go Ruger or maybe that Uberti.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Well, that doesn't explain "modern" Cost SAA made on 1970's equipment. Why do they cost so much compared to Ruger Vaqueros that were made at the same time?
That's because Rugers are "investment casted", and Colts are basically machined from blocks of steel.

Investment casted Rugers need much less machining and alot less steel is "lost" in the machining process. Hence more machining/time and more steel lost for Colts means more money...

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 02-26-2013, 7:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
The transfer bar means six rounds carried safely, you can shoot hotter loads, and you can shoot a ton.
The New Vaquero Rugers cannot shoot the hotter loads - Must be SAMMI spec loads. Same size frame and cylinder as a Colt SAA.

The "old", original Vaqueros are the ones that can handle hotter loads - larger frame and cylinder than the Colt SAA.

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 02-26-2013, 7:53 PM

I have several but my favorite is my Cimarron/Uberti. With a Colt you do get better finish and workmanship but you can buy 4 Ubertis for about the same price. With a little bit of internal smoothing out the Cimarron is a great shooter and very easy to get parts for.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:58 PM

There is no denying the sense of history you get from a Colt, especially an old one. But if you're looking for a gun to shoot, you can't beat the Ruger. Personally I don't see any reason to consider any of the other clones unless there is some specific finish or grip option you are looking for that Ruger doesn't make. They may not appreciate, but they hold their value well.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:12 PM

I have the Uberti 1873 Cattleman in stainless steel. As a Colt SAA clone, it is a close match to the original -- even down to the Colt patent info inscribed on the frame. I have no need to own a Colt for 3-4 times the cost. You can't beat the ruggedness of the Vaquero which is favored by Cowboy Action shooters, but I would call it more of a "cousin" to the Colt SAA. Most of the clones (Uberti, Cimmaron, Taylor, etc.) are actually truer to the original Colt design.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have found satisfaction in the finer guns---yeah, they do cost more, but the fit and finish of a GOOD Colt (there are times when Colt's QC wasn't always good) puts it above the clones although USFA made some real nice guns.
So, they do cost more, but personally, I would rather own lesser amounts of fine guns than a bunch of lesser guns. My Colt SAAs are 44 Special (4 3/4" and 5 1/2") and I also picked-up a 22 Peacemaker with the extra Magnum cylinder. Yeah, I shoot them---who am I saving them for?
I say save up the extra money and get what you really want!
Old 11-13-2015, 1:54 PM

I had a chance to buy a 45LC Colt and the action was so gritty and crappy especially after trying the Vaquero I went with the Ruger SS 45LC. I still have it. Smooth as a babies butt. I laugh at the argument of its original. No its not its a remake by a company that has the right to stamp Colt on it. I don't buy XSE Colt 1911s and call them original, a pre 45 Colt is an original a gun that was there and did that is an original. I can not buy a Third Gen. 1860 colt and call it a civil war original. Its a copy made many years after the fact by a company that is nothing but a faint shadow of its original self at that particular point in time.
Old 11-13-2015, 2:07 PM
CGN Contributor

Collector = Colt
Range occasional shooter = Colt
Cowboy shooter = Ubertis. About same size and weight as Colt.
Hunter = Ruger. heavier with more girth (Stronger)
Range ammo test bed or blaster = Ruger. See above.

The above is opinion. YMMV

Here I am.
Old 11-13-2015, 2:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have several Colts (1st and 3rd generation), Uberti and have some experience with Vaquero. My first SAA was a Uberti Cattleman and I've probably put more rounds through that gun than anything I own. I just love it.

That said, it's a project of constant maintenance. Replaced springs, fixed timing, hand and a few other odds and ends. It still shoots great for me, but admittedly I have to baby it to keep it running smoothly.

Then I got a Colt. Game over as far as that is concerned. Just the feel in the hand is worlds apart. My shooter is a 3rd gen SAA in 45LC. It's been a rock so far.

That said, I'd really like to have a large frame Vaquero. I think if historical legacy wasn't an issue, I'd get a large frame Vaquero (not the new one). Can shoot just about anything you throw at it, including hot loads. I reload 45LC and when working up a new load I try to chrono it through a Vaquero first just for comfort's sake.

Bohannon 2016

NRA Lifer
Old 11-13-2015, 3:54 PM

I got a new model Vaquero in .45 colt. One thing I like is the centered trigger vs. the off set trigger on a colt.
Old 11-14-2015, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
I have no idea, buy why is it that Ruger can make a single action revolver and sell it so much cheaper than Colt can? .

Because it says Ruger on the roll stamp. Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 11-14-2015, 8:08 AM

I have both Ruger and Colt. Both are awesome. The Colt has history and the Ruger I don't worry about blasting away with.
Old 11-14-2015, 8:35 AM

If you plan to shoot it, the Ruger would be the logical choice.

If you plan to admire it more than shoot it (and you want to spend the money), the Colt would be the choice.

And, look closely at the photo in post #2. You'll see why the Colt is actually a 5-shooter & can't be safe with six rounds. You can see the firing pin protruding through the recoil shield - where it would be resting on the primer if a cartridge were there. The Ruger is safe with all six chambers loaded (besides being way more durable).
Old 11-14-2015, 8:55 AM

I've got a Colt SAA, my brother-in-law has the Uberti and Ruger Vaquero. They all shoot about the same. Get what you like and can afford.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

The Colt SAA is a thing of beauty. The Ruger revolver is built with strength and will outlast any Colt or clones.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM

Colt SAA's are for the most part great- they did have quality control issues at different periods in the past, but new ones are said to be as good as any of the quality ones made in the old days.

Nothing like them- when you pick one up you will know.

If I find a Colt for a fair price I will try to buy it.

I don't like the Italian clones- ones I have seen are not very well made.

The Ruger New Vaquero is a bit bigger than the Colt not much- they are not a Colt SAA clone IMO more like a new imagining.

Sturdy, fun as hell, reasonable price, fast for the full six cylinders with the transfer bar, and many are accurate.

In .357 they (RNV) are to heavy for my tastes but in .45 balance about right. My pick is the 45 ACP New Vaquero as I don't reload. Good wide triggers and coil springs.

Be advised that QC with Ruger like many gun company's is spotty due to massive demand and increased output of product. Check the one you are buying out careful- before you take it home.

Thumb Busters are fun as hell- find one you like you won't regret it.

We need another American company making quality SAA's at a fair price like the old USFA company IMO.

Can you hear me S&W?

Last edited by Ugly Hombre; 11-14-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-14-2015, 11:16 AM

How's Uberti's quality control?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Ones I've seen not so good, YMMV.

I've also seen Ruger S/A's with loose rivets and bad timing, bolts coming up early and scouring the cylinder and so on- recently.

Check out each individual revolver well- hard or impossible to do with on line vendors.

Buyer beware..
Old 11-14-2015, 3:04 PM

Colt in nickel, buy once cry once!
Old 11-14-2015, 6:06 PM

I've had a few cowboy actions over the years.

Had: original Colt 45LC, 2 Uberti 1873 Cattleman (.45LC/.357), 2 Colt Commemorative edition wallhangers (.22 short), 2 Beretta Stampedes (45LC), and a Colt 1851 Navy (.36 percussion).

Still have Uberti .357, both Colt .22s, and the Colt 1851.

I don't really care about names with these guns. Obviously the Colts are worth more but if it's not a smooth runner, I sell it. All of the SAAs felt the same to me, I didn't see a difference. I sold all the ones that didn't function smoothly. Both Berettas had stuck case issues, one Uberti & one Colt had the same issue of the cylinder getting stuck and not rotating.

Never had a Vaquero, but I might grab one someday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2015, 7:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Colt is the Harley Davidson of firearms.

And, I don't mean that as a good thing.
Old 11-14-2015, 8:39 PM

I thought Colt workers were under the United Auto Workers Union too. That may also account for Colt's higher costs.
Old 11-15-2015, 7:34 AM

One of these type of revolvers is on my list as well. I want to get one that has after market .45 ACP cylinders options. While I don't like the aesthetics of the Ruger Blackhawk, there are a couple models in that line that can shoot both calibers.
Old 11-15-2015, 8:17 AM

I have a pair of Ruger New Vaquero Bisleys that I use for cowboy action shooting. They are nice for me anyway. If you want to have fun get Walker C&B revolver. 5 1/2 pound handgun.

Sent from the Telegraph Office