Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-23-2013, 6:33 PM

Default Best CCW Sight Combination?

I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation for a sight combination for a CCW handgun.

For example:

An XS Big Dot on the front, and a 10-8 wide notch on the rear of an M&P Compact.

Or, a Truglo TFO front sight and a blacked out Glock rear sight on a Glock 19 or 26.

I'm looking for some ideas, and a fun discussion. Thanks!

--ODub
Old 02-23-2013, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

The only "best" is the one for you. Its a personal thing. I use Trijicons on several of my Glocks and my duty Glock has Warren Tacticals with fiber front.
Bought here:http://www.cpwsa.com/warren_sevigny_sights.htm
Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Good point on the "best". I'd rather not have to buy 3+ sets of sights until I find something that really works, so I thought that I would throw it out there in hopes of getting some real world experience back.

I like the idea of the XS Big Dot for the front, but I'm not sure if I'd like the vertical line on the rear. That's why I think that I might like a blacked out rear sight, but I'm not sure about the stock rear sight's compatibility with the XS front, or a 10-8 performance on the rear.

10-8 also offers two different widths for the rear notch, so I'm curious to see if anyone has some feedback about the difference of the wide for speed vs. the narrow for precision.

I love the idea of the fiber optic/tritium combination of the TruGlo TFO, but I'm not sure if I'd like the green. Is it green for a reason? Does the eye pick up that color quickly (like the new green lasers that are coming out)? And is this front sight compatible with the stock Glock rear sight, or will I have to swap that out for an aftermarket model?

Thanks in advance for the input guys.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Don't over think your sights, buy lots of ammo and practice often!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM

At short ranges (10ft) you really need to learn "point shooting" since there is a good chance the fight will be over before aiming is possible. "Flash" sight picture comes into play from 10ft to 21ft, and for that all that really matters is being able to see the front sight. Since most civilian gunfights occur in reduced light situations, a night sight is really advisable. Beyond 21ft, the traditional-size front and rear sights probably are better than any of the "trick sights" like the XS. I like the combination of a "standard" size sights with a somewhat wider rear and a night sight front.

As I've gotten older, pistol sights have gotten harder to use. I've found a laser works well for me and suspect it would be a real "bacon saver" in a combat situation. If the laser doesn't work for some reason, or in connection with using the laser, plan B is "point shooting" or "slide / barrel aiming" out to 7 yards. Beyond that, at this point in my life, luck and prayer are probably the best option.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 02-24-2013, 8:23 AM

Great input, guys. I plan to pick out some sights and then practice, practice, practice.

Point shooting is something that I only recently learned about and I'm looking for a private outdoor range to get some work in. That's pretty much why I thought a highly visible and quickly acquired front sight like the TFO or XS Big Dot might help with accuracy while point shooting. Or, are you not supposed to use your sights at all?

The other attribute that is attractive about both sight systems is that they are powered by tritium for low light situations.

Has anyone used these systems or front sights and liked it or hated it?
Old 02-24-2013, 8:42 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Just go shoot...

I'm running stock sights but I think anything with a 3 dot glow like meprolite would work better for me. Keep in mind that when you pull it ...it will not be a time of your choosing and may occur at night or dusk.
Old 02-24-2013, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I like Truglow TFOs because for me, they are the easiest to see in low light.

Lots of them are great in daylight and lots are great in the dark, but most of them basically disappear in low light situations. But that's just me and my preference.
Old 02-24-2013, 9:41 AM

I just installed the xs big dot on my g19 2 days ago.
I love it, front sight acquisition is fairly quick.
The thing I like the most is I can still see the dot without my glasses on, night or day. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses on. In a life threatening struggle, or while asleep chances are my glasses aren't on my face, or they could be broken.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I run a gold dot on all my carry guns with 10-8 rear sights.

Gold doesn't go dim and stays bright even in low light.

NiteQwill via Tapatalk

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Great stuff, keep it coming!
Old 02-24-2013, 4:41 PM

I tried out a set of XS Big Dots on my 17 a couple of months ago, and quickly discovered that I was just as accurate with them as I was with the stock sights. More importantly, I experienced what I perceived to be quicker target acquisition.

I immediately put another set on my G19 a few days after getting it. I love these sights. And yes, you CAN shoot tight groups with these sights.
Old 02-25-2013, 9:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback.

I'm leaning toward the XS Big Dot for the front sight and I'm very curious if anyone has used a different rear sight in conjunction with it.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Anyone with experience using Ameriglo black rear sights? Or their Proglo Front sight?
Old 02-26-2013, 9:51 AM
Banned

Sights are personal, whatever gives you confidence. Tritium sights have an advantage in low light or backlight situations, but you still need a weapon mounted light to identify the target. And in pitch black darkness, you can find your gun with tritium sights. Personally I like the 3 dot Trijicons the best. I have had 13 year old sights replaced with no questions asked, and they support competitive shooting.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM

Great pic! Very helpful.