Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-24-2013, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I think the answer given, here and by DOJ, was within the context of the MAS 49/56 and semi auto, centerfire rifles with detachable magazines - not bolt action rifles.
Ohhh I know that, but I think it is ridiculous that they can slam these nonsense regulations on semi-autos (new or C&R), but they never did it to bolts or single shots. Only because semi-automatics are "assault rifles" with these features. Politcians and their idiotic laws are a detriment to our rights.
Old 02-24-2013, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check out this link for a good discussion on the MAS 49/56 muzzle brake/flash hider. He does post the muzzle threading specs:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...75#post1641875

If anyone ever comes up with a muzzle brake/comp solution. Or, if someone finds a place that will make a custom one (at a reasonable price)... I'd be interested.

Quote:
I found an original MAS 1962 recoil pad, helps me with length of pull. The KVAR side mount is great but high. I used an Enfield sniper repro cheek piece, mated and bolted (I know, sacrilege) to the stock for a nice cheek weld. I went with an early 1960's Bushnell scope because it has a baked enamel finish, seems like an OK "period correct" match.

I keep meaning to try some sort of Mosin bolt on brake, something that fits properly, will look correct & prevent GL use but haven't quite gotten around to it.

Does anyone know the muzzle threading specs of the MAS 49/56?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
so you're making jokes about derogatory stereotypes.

if you made a joke about blacks eatin fried chicken and watermelon and jews about pinching pennies do you think you would have fared better?

cmon sir... you make a blanket statement joke, you're gonna get flamed.

"mexicans are lazy!"
"blacks are all criminals!"
"scots/jews are cheapskates!"
"irish/poles/russians are all drunks!"
"french are all cowards!"
"italians are all corrupt!"
"republicans are all jesus lovin' douchebags!"

see how this works?
You left out "Canadians are a-holes".
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-25-2013, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know the muzzle threading specs of the MAS 49/56?
thread diameter= 16.7mm
thread pitch=1mm
thread length= 23mm

services of a machinist will probably be required to custom manufacture a die for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronco View Post
Check out this link for a good discussion on the MAS 49/56 muzzle brake/flash hider. He does post the muzzle threading specs:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...75#post1641875

If anyone ever comes up with a muzzle brake/comp solution. Or, if someone finds a place that will make a custom one (at a reasonable price)... I'd be interested.
Thanks - same here, I'd buy one. IIRC there was a MAS 49/56 "Type 2 brake" with a closed end typical of what is viewed as a brake. They're evidently hard to find.
Old 02-25-2013, 4:44 PM

I remember reading a quote by Eisenhower which underscored the high value he put on Free French forces, but for the life of me I can't find it. It was something like, "I'd rather have one Free French Battalion than an American Division." Or "One French battalion is worth ..." Anyway, it was positive.

Oh, back on topic. I have one that's Cali legal. Had to talk them them through removing the FH & ranging ring. Simple really. Worth it. Great handling rifle. I was thinking of welding a washer to the front of the FH to make it back into a brake. I think it will fly if the exit diameter is closer to the original configuration.

BTW, if the 1% rule is the true legal standard of a FH, then most brakes would probably test illegal.

Quote:
the thing about the anti french jokes is they're just such a tired nonfactual cliche at this point, and so unfair.

anti french sentiment reached its fever pitch when the french wouldn't follow us into Iraq a second time (after contributing an armored division first time around) and this rekindled all this anti french sentiment which started with the US frustration with Degaulle and continued on throughout the cold war because the French wouldn't fall in line with the rest of Western Europe with Washington's demands.

Being frustrated with post war french foreign policy with the US is one thing, but perverting French military history to serve a contemporary political agenda is just flat out wrong.

The French literally bled to death in ww1 rather than surrender.
The French didn't "surrender" in 1940, they had their asses kicked by a foe which had better tactics. They got beat, they weren't cowards. Indeed, the Dutch, Norwegians, Danish, Yugoslavs and every other country that faced the Wehrmacht in 1940 got beat too, including the Brits; they just were lucky enough to not have a land bridge connecting them to the continent, or 3000 miles and 4million soldiers to learn from their own mistakes like the Soviets did.

The French in Algeria were on a fools errand, same as in Vietnam, same as WE were in Vietnam: trying to solve a political problem with the military.

So yeah, friends and fellow shooters, STFU with tired french cliches it just makes you look like you haven't read enough history.

read these books:
alistair horne's "The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916"
alistair horne's "to lose a battle, france 1940"
alistair hornes "a savage war of peace" about the algerian war
and "the last valley: dien bien phu and the french defeat in vietnam"

and then, well, if after reading those books you still think an old and busted cliche is funny, well, read em again.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.

Last edited by Grendl; 02-25-2013 at 4:51 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
Do you need a hug? I didn't learn a damn thing in my public high school history class but I do have a keen interest in the Vietnam "Conflict" and own over 100 books on the subject. I am well aware of their sacrifices. I was merely making a joke in reference to the commonly held sayings of today's society much as one would say in reference to Polish idiots and Irish alcoholics.
So, you are simply a bigot and not a ignorant bigot. Thank you for the clarification!
Old 02-26-2013, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustav View Post
So, you are simply a bigot and not a ignorant bigot. Thank you for the clarification!
Yes, I hate all equally.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-26-2013, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, I hate all equally.
Having been born in Ireland, I suppose I should hate you for saying the Irish are alcoholics, but unfortunately, I do like to drink.

VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4463589767_99f967084c_o.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

What this thread really needs...

Old 02-26-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
What this thread really needs...

that's a good one!

this one is my chosen butthurt meme pic o' choice.

"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 02-26-2013, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
that's a good one!

this one is my chosen butthurt meme pic o' choice.

ROFL...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoniums View Post
Having been born in Ireland, I suppose I should hate you for saying the Irish are alcoholics, but unfortunately, I do like to drink.
Hehe, my grandparents came over from Ireland and my other grandpa was American Indian yet I can't hold my liquor.I guess that throws that stereotype out the window.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Talking ;) LOL

Quote:
Do you need a hug? I didn't learn a damn thing in my public high school history class but I do have a keen interest in the Vietnam "Conflict" and own over 100 books on the subject. I am well aware of their sacrifices. I was merely making a joke in reference to the commonly held sayings of today's society much as one would say in reference to Polish idiots and Irish alcoholics.
100 books and you didn't learn a thing,,LOL.

Then you keep writing spoo about things you don't know zip about. So failed.
WTS New 1/53 #4Mk2 Enfield
I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.

Last edited by mj1; 03-03-2013 at 6:27 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Back on topic. . . .

I know that an incomplete rifle can still be C&R, although not a bare receiver, so why would removing the grenade launcher make this rifle not qualify. It's one thing to restock and chop a barrel, but why does a missing grenade launcher make it not eligible?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

The ATF has decided that only limited modifications to a curio or relic firearm is allowed without that weapon losing its C&R status. With few exceptions, however, ATF has always been kind of vague on what specific modifications are and are not allowed.

Unless someone has an opinion letter from the ATF regarding a grenade launcherless MAS 49/56 no longer being a C&R, then you will be operating in a gray area if you have it shipped to you as a C&R.

That being said, do you want to be a test case for this issue?

If it isn't a C&R any longer, have it sent through a regular 01FFL...
Old 03-21-2013, 8:39 PM

You guys wouldn't be talkin' so brave if I was still alive !

Last edited by Darto; 03-21-2013 at 8:49 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
You guys wouldn't be talkin' so brave if I was still alive !

Ahhh, but everyone falls to General Winter.