Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-15-2013, 7:41 PM

Default Pointless paranoia about the Heller 5 ...

There's a constant theme around these parts that pushing any new pro-gun case to the Supreme Court is fraught with peril because one of the Heller 5 might balk at carry, or worse yet Obama might replace one of them before the case is decided in our favor.

This seems misplaced to me. The hoplophobes would find any excuse to re-open Heller if they got a majority, or to limit carry in NY or some other hoplophobe state, with national ramifications. If any of the Heller 5 are so weak on carry that they would undermine the right to bear arms, the hoplophobes would take advantage of it an a heartbeat.

In other words, sitting still for fear of awakening a sleeping flipflopper would just abandon the playing field to the hoplophobes. Better to strike with a good chance of success than cower in fear and turn over possession.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair View Post
Better to strike with a good chance of success than cower in fear and turn over possession.
Yes, we need to get this case going as fast as we can. There will never be a better time.

In the 2016 election, Libertarian voters threw the swing states of Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Maine to Hillary, for a total of 38 electoral college votes. Hillary would have created a permanent a permanent entitlement class and permanent Democratic control over the US.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
There will never be a better time.
absolutely correct.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hoplophobes, good word. Honestly had to look it up where it came from never knew. I thought it was an actual phobia until just now

I think the trick is to get good cases and good defendants. Heller was perfect because he carried the gun at work but couldn't have it to protect his home. We didn't get Heller by hurrying up and taking un-calculated risk. I know everyone wants changes right now, but it took from over 30 years to finally un-do DCs handgun law. The case itself took 6+ years. Unfortunately patience wins the battles. Even the win that was Heller wasn't perfect.

I don't know about a flip-flopper at this point. It seems unlikely. The court will still find against us if we bring a god awful case.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 AM

Ginsburg is potentially on our side on carry. See also the quotes in Heller on her own use of the term "bear arms" in a previous case.

Even Kagan is a possibility on our side.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post
Ginsburg is potentially on our side on carry. See also the quotes in Heller on her own use of the term "bear arms" in a previous case.

I have always been intrigued by Ginsberg's writings on bearing arms and how armour pertains to arms. She understands that and then rules the way she did in Heller and McDonald? That logic is akin to a racist saying, he is a really good guy, but he is still a $#&&@*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 03-16-2013, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

This seems unlikely, to say the least. Why on Earth would they decide we have a right to carry arms in public when they said we don't have a right to keep and bear arms in the first place? (Heller)
Old 03-16-2013, 9:54 AM

Now is absolutely the best possible time to get a case before the court.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

In what I see, there is less concern one of them will flip than one of them will drop dead and be replaced by another Sotomayor/Kagan clone.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If you are right (and I've learned to respect what you say), then a carry case in the near future could be a far bigger victory than I'd hoped.

Oh, it could actually mean that the language might not be as strong as I might want it to be in order to get Ginsburg and/or Kagan on board, but it would seem to me to make it a bit more likely that stare decisis would be respected in the future.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Mark my words: SCOTUS will either refuse to hear a carry case or rule against it if they do.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
This seems unlikely, to say the least. Why on Earth would they decide we have a right to carry arms in public when they said we don't have a right to keep and bear arms in the first place? (Heller)
Kagan was not on the court during Heller or McDonald.

Ginsburg, however, I agree with you.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Hines View Post
Mark my words: SCOTUS will either refuse to hear a carry case or rule against it if they do.
And when you are proven wrong, can we expect you to ask forgiveness for spreading fear?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

And when I am proven right, can I expect all of you (at least I'm in the minority) to ask forgiveness for spreading false hope?
Old 03-16-2013, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
There's a constant theme around these parts that pushing any new pro-gun case to the Supreme Court is fraught with peril because one of the Heller 5 might balk at carry, or worse yet Obama might replace one of them before the case is decided in our favor.

This seems misplaced to me. The hoplophobes would find any excuse to re-open Heller if they got a majority, or to limit carry in NY or some other hoplophobe state, with national ramifications. If any of the Heller 5 are so weak on carry that they would undermine the right to bear arms, the hoplophobes would take advantage of it an a heartbeat.

In other words, sitting still for fear of awakening a sleeping flipflopper would just abandon the playing field to the hoplophobes. Better to strike with a good chance of success than cower in fear and turn over possession.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" - original author unknown.

Actually I agree with you - this is the time to take a carry case all the way up and after winning that take a modern sporting rifle/standard capacity magazine ban all the way up to SCOTUS. The time is now to get a strict scrutiny ruling because what happens in 2016 is a crap shoot and waiting just entails too many risks of losing one of the five Heller heros. The real worry now is that the court will just continue refusing to hear any carry cases until it's too late and I have little confidence that they will accept one this year, for sure not enough confidence to lay a bet either way.

Waiting sets us up for only 3 possible scenarios: 1) One of the Heller 5 die before 2016 and Obama appoints a Chuck Schumer type to replace him. Or, 2) Hillary is elected in 2016 and replaces 2 of the Heller 5 plus Breyer and the 2nd Amendment becomes a dead letter. Or, 3) Rand Paul is elected in 2016 and we get a libertarian who replaces 2 of the Heller 5 plus Breyer as they retire and we wind up with a court with 5 libertarian leaning justices, 2 right leaning statists, and 2 left leaning statists.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 03-16-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 1:57 PM

Folks, I'm not saying we're not in trouble if there's a carry case and one of the Heller 5 drops dead.

I'm saying that's a problem regardless of what cases we bring, because the other side can also bring cases.

In other words, worrying about a Heller 5 death is pointless; no more significant than worrying about how much faster the No. 5 bus runs if the driver had an extra cup of coffee that morning and how that affects their decisions.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Folks, I'm not saying we're not in trouble if there's a carry case and one of the Heller 5 drops dead.

I'm saying that's a problem regardless of what cases we bring, because the other side can also bring cases.

In other words, worrying about a Heller 5 death is pointless; no more significant than worrying about how much faster the No. 5 bus runs if the driver had an extra cup of coffee that morning and how that affects their decisions.
I agree here. I think you're right our focus shouldnt be on those 5 but on the cases themselves.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I don't see how this is a concern in any way. You understand SCOTUS can only declare laws unconstitutional, right? They can't make laws.

And if you're suggesting the 'other side' is going to somehow appeal some case all the way to SCOTUS, be granted cert, and have the majority opinion worded such that it restricts our rights more than is already the case, I'll suggest you are nuts, because that's like adopting Russian Roulette as your main battle strategy.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I disagree completely. If we wait until after one of the Heller 5 is replaced by an Obama selection we'll lose every case that comes up. We need to move while the Heller 5 are healthy to give us time to put carry back into culture of all 50 states not just 40 and embed the popularity of carry and modern sporting rifles so deep in the popular culture that no Democrat will dare to propose a ban anywhere in the country for fear of being thrown out of office. To get that done we have to get the court to set favorable precedents while the getting is still possible.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Old 03-16-2013, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I respect your views msot times but you are flat wrong on this. Ginsberg is on record dissing the 2nd:
In a visit to Cairo, Egypt, Justice Ginsburg told Al Hayat television, “I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012.” Instead, she urged Egyptians to look elsewhere to more modern constitutions in South Africa, Canada, and even the European Convention on Human Rights—they have no Bill of Rights and no RKBA.
Ginsburg told a Harvard Club audience in 2009, she looks forward to the day when a “future, wiser court” overturns 5-4 decisions like Heller.

Kagan is untested in a decision but I don't think she'd have got the nod from Obama if she were not anti-RKBA. This is the same kind of wishful thinking that led some of you to re-elect our gun banner in chief while telling us we had nothing to worry about..

Not wasting any more time and energy tilting, Don Quixote-like, on a regulatory problem that, constitutionally, should not even exist in a free state.
I cannot change the world unlike my hero Samuel Adams—but I can change my place in it.
Gone fishin' for now and soon gone from California.

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 03-16-2013 at 4:23 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

And if the Supreme Court rules in favor of Registration/Confiscation, will you obey?
Old 03-16-2013, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I was going to use another smilie, but I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt....

What in the world are you talking about???

[1] Who's "sitting still"?

[2] Who's "cower[ing] in fear": SAF? Gura? CGF? Gene? Brandon? Gray? NRA? Who???

These guys are filed carry cases as soon as they could (they had good plaintiffs lined up). As far as I can tell, they're all busy as bees moving cases along as fast as the courts allow and when there's a pause there, they're doing other pro-RKBA activities.

Weird post.... SR, bad day yesterday? Bad week? Had something to drink before posting???

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-17-2013 at 1:54 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 03-16-2013, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

I was going to use another smilie, but I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt....

What in the world are you talking about???

Who's "sitting still"? Who's "cower[ing] in fear"? SAF? Gura? CGF? Gene? Brandon? Gray? NRA? Who???

These guys are filed carry cases as soon as they could (they had good plaintiffs lined up). As far as I can tell, they're all busy as bees moving cases along as fast as the courts allow and when there's a pause there, they're doing other pro-RKBA activities.

Weird post.... SR, bad day yesterday? Bad week? Had something to drink before posting???
I think he's not talking about CGF or NRA. He's talking about regular posters getting all shook up over Roberts & Kennedy. It occurred after NFIB v. Sebelius & it'll likely recur with the June decisions involving gay marriage.

The basis of this is the false belief that those who supposed support 2A must march in lockstep with other so called conservative political positions, & if they deviate from that, it threatens 2A.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
No, but in comparison to your post, I thought a long time before writing it.

Maybe you are such an eternal optimist that you haven't noticed all the posts about how dangerous it is to send any case to the Supreme Court. That's what I'm referring to.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I don't see how this is a concern in any way. You understand SCOTUS can only declare laws unconstitutional, right? They can't make laws.
Did it escape your notice that CCW and open carry and all sorts of pro-gun activity is enabled by laws?

Do you think the hoplophobes are so bereft of brains to think they will never attack those laws?

You underestimate the enemy at everybody's peril.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, but in comparison to your post, I thought a long time before writing it.
Really?

If that's the case, then you can easily answer my 2 questions:
Quote:

[1] Who's "sitting still"?

[2] Who's "cower[ing] in fear": SAF? Gura? CGF? Gene? Brandon? Gray? NRA? Who???

These guys are filed carry cases as soon as they could (they had good plaintiffs lined up).

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-17-2013 at 1:53 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
I think he's not talking about CGF or NRA. He's talking about regular posters getting all shook up over Roberts & Kennedy. It occurred after NFIB v. Sebelius & it'll likely recur with the June decisions involving gay marriage.

The basis of this is the false belief that those who supposed support 2A must march in lockstep with other so called conservative political positions, & if they deviate from that, it threatens 2A.
There was good reason to fear the reliability of those two after the Obamacare ruling. Roberts fell back on his theory that the job of the court is to defer to congress and find any excuse to uphold the constitutionality of any law and in this case he pulled an excuse right out of his butt. He stretched logic further than those that claim the 2nd only applies to muskets which means that his next vote is a crap shoot but we still have to try.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I'd place it at perhaps greater than zero but less than 5% that G or K vote for the majority/plurality in carry. Scalia, in Heller, skewered G with her own words.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree we need to push cases now; the roster, hi cap magazines- these would be the easiest due to their "common use." Then the "assault weapon" ban here in CA. Next NFA items; SBRs��, suppressors ��, then full autos ��. The time is now. Alright off my hopeful box, going home now.