Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-05-2013, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Serious question

Does Glock, or any polymer manufacturer, have the capabilities of making a very CLEAR strong plastic? Or does it have to be a dark color?

I would like to see a sturdy super clear Glock frame. Kinda like the pagers back in the 1990's.

I have always been intreuged by the inner workings of machines and things. Clear is cool

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:54 PM

Neat idea, but I'm not sure it would stay nice and clear for long. The heat, cleaning solvents, and powder would take a toll on it pretty quick. Would be neat to see though!
Old 03-05-2013, 7:54 PM

I'm sure it's possible and only a matter of time. Investment is needed in R&D, and a public demand.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:55 PM

I think it would look like an airsoft gun. I'm sure they could but I doubt there's enough of a market.

What's a pager? Sorry...had to lol
Old 03-05-2013, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah I was thinking about that too. That magazine is cool but how strong is it?

I guess a pager stays clear because its a pager and not handgun..lol Cool for a bit I guess until it turns ugly

Not practical but I would like to see one made out of glass but how long do you think it would hold up under fire?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 03-05-2013 at 7:57 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 8:12 PM

I owned a few and held up really well. Very lightweight compared to the heavy steel Russian, Chinese, or other eastern european countries mag's. Sold them when I got rid of my AK's. I collect AR's these days. But just as strong as the frames on my Glock 19, XD9, & Kahr CW9.
Old 03-05-2013, 8:12 PM

I think it's hard to find a clear polymer that has high tensile strength, elasticity, and durability. I think it's also dark to resist UV rays; which can destroy them or make them look yellowed out if they were made clear. There are also individual fibers that are bonded together that make them stronger as well.

The only suitable polymers that I can think of are Lexan and Plexiglas; they are used in bullet resistant panels and windows, but they have a certain degree of elasticity that would deform upon repeated used.

I'm still waiting on Montgomery Scott's Transparent Aluminium.