Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-22-2013, 1:14 PM

Default NRA/DU Banquets and Mobile DROS Question

Hi everybody! This year we will once again be handling all firearms for our local DU banquet. In an effort to make the process easier on everybody, I had the super idea of bringing a few laptops, with card readers, and running DROSes at the banquet on as many winners as possible. That way they only had to come to our shop 10 days later to pick up.

To make sure we were in the clear to do so, a call to the DOJ left me very confused.
The woman who we spoke to, first started with "you can't bring all the guns over there to the banquet" ??? all DU/NRA banquets operate this way!

Then, she says "you cannot DROS from anywhere but your home location"
?? What about gun shows? they run DROS all the time.

After a long talk, she agreed that there was some information not jiving, and Bob would have to get back to us.

While I'm waiting to hear back from Bob, and get some proper insight,
just wondering if any other FFLs have encountered this situation, or have any input on the law and procedures when it comes to these banquets and/or gun shows?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

They don't hire BOF employees for their knowledge of firearms law.

You can do a DROS from an event such as a gunshow or NRA dinner. Sorry but I don't have the PC in front of me. Others will chime-in, I'm sure.

Old 02-23-2013, 1:07 PM

I have done several local NRA events and take all of their firearms to the event for display. I just request that none are set up on tables close to exits, however, security is usually not an issue.

I have not done the paperwork at the event for a couple of reasons but mainly, there is so much fast paced activity/presentations/raffles/speakers going on in such a short period of time that most attendees would not want to sit for the actual registration in case they might miss something LOL!

Good luck. They are certainly fun events and you get to meet lots of new potential customers and friends!

www.HighDesertGunsAndAmmo.com
Old 02-23-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsAndAmmoGirl View Post
I have not done the paperwork at the event for a couple of reasons but mainly, there is so much fast paced activity/presentations/raffles/speakers going on in such a short period of time that most attendees would not want to sit for the actual registration in case they might miss something LOL!
Yes, this is definitely a concern, but I thought - what the hey, might as well try it once! It could be a nightmare, or may become tradition

I will update this thread when I talk with Bob, and let you all know how the dinner goes.

Thank you two the input!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Just an update: Bob reassured us its no problem to DROS from the dinner, during acceptable hours of course (before 11:00pm). I will post an report after the dinner, letting everyone know how we did.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM

The Duck's dinner was a great success, we ran over 20 DROSes, and people were very excited to be getting an early start on the process!
We hit a wall when the DROS system automatically shut down at 11:00pm, but we were all exhausted by that time anyway

Thanks everyone for your help and input.