Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-01-2013, 5:37 PM

I read the news article the other day stating how the governor is semi pro gun. Since he's a "gun collector and advid shooter." the news article also went along to saythat he might sign the other bills and Veto this one.
Old 10-01-2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edittman1 View Post
So, I should have one of them buy 2, then gift the other one. Correct?
Indeed. Blood lines are fine.
Old 10-01-2013, 6:14 PM

You could also give them to your wife, right? and have her give them to her dad.
Old 10-01-2013, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
Do you need to finish an 80% lower (that you have in hand) before next year to qualify? I didn't find anything about serial numbers being necessary. I assume it's AW reg, but still no DROS(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
Until it becomes law and is codified we don't know the fine details.

However it appears from the early readings that you have to own the Assault Weapon prior to 1/1/2014. Your 80% paperweight is not an AW, thus you need to do some work in the garage before 1/1/2014.
If you serialized your 80%, or AK flat, and then registered it as an AW what could they charge you with when you completed it post 1/1/14? Manufacturing an unregistered assault weapon? Nope, it's registered.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1153858
\_(ツ)_/
Old 10-01-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edittman1 View Post
Are firearms transferable between in-laws?

I want to buy (3) lowers and DROS them all at once, then give one to my father in law and brother in law.
not in ca...

"I want the truth! You can't handle the truth!!!" A Few Good Men
Old 10-01-2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
If you serialized your 80%, or AK flat, and then registered it as an AW what could they charge you with when you completed it post 1/1/14? Manufacturing an unregistered assault weapon? Nope, it's registered.
you can register whatever you want... it's up to doj to accept your information...

i believe the last aw registration form wanted barrel length, caliber, make, model, etc.. and is submitted under per jury penalty...

Old 10-01-2013, 7:03 PM

He has until the 13th I believe.
Old 10-01-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1775 View Post
you can register whatever you want... it's up to doj to accept your information...

i believe the last aw registration form wanted barrel length, caliber, make, model, etc.. and is submitted under per jury penalty...
You are implying we are locked into the configuration as registered. I have heard this is not true; that one can for example add previously "evil" features once a rifle becomes a RAW. What a confusing mess this all is.
Old 10-01-2013, 8:26 PM

My heart nearly skipped a beat when I read the bottom of http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=18242:

Quote:
Governor Brown also announced that he has vetoed the following bills.

AB 374 by Assemblymember Donald P. Wagner (R-Irvine) Eminent domain: compensation: loss of goodwill.
Is it too much to ask the Senate and Assembly to use different numbers?
Old 10-01-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
I had nothing to do with Harrot. However, explain this - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=45322

I could spend a lot of time talking about CGF wins, but if we weren't doing something right we wouldn't be attacked by people on our side.

-Gene
Bingo!
Old 10-01-2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
My heart nearly skipped a beat when I read the bottom of http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=18242:

Is it too much to ask the Senate and Assembly to use different numbers?
Yeah, saw that too. AB <> SB. We were 1 letter off.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
You are implying we are locked into the configuration as registered. I have heard this is not true; that one can for example add previously "evil" features once a rifle becomes a RAW. What a confusing mess this all is.
i don't disagree that people could change their "aw" config, but to tell people they can register a lower (completed or not) as a long gun under per jury like some are doing, is not what i'd agree with...

Old 10-02-2013, 1:48 PM

OK, I'm quite nervous about posting on here as it seems that some of the comments are quite harsh.

So Disclaimer: I am a total novice and do not own a semi auto rifle.. Yet..

So here's my question:

If I was to buy an AR stripped lower NOW.. and I planned to build it up at my leisure in the future post 01/01/14 then what legal steps would I have to make to ensure that my lower and future AR stay within the law.

Simple answers please because man I'm totally confused having read tons of stuff on this forum!!
Old 10-02-2013, 1:52 PM

Ask on the 14th

Until then your question cannot be answered because the Governor still has not acted on all the bills.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 10-02-2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
So I'm a little confused about the 80%, can we still do it after the 1st of the year? Do we need to register the 80%? If there's no serial #, then do we need to register it as an AW?

What if I were to buy a 80% today, machine it, but do not cerakote or anodize it till later...will that be ok?
Old 10-02-2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
Ask on the 14th

Until then your question cannot be answered because the Governor still has not acted on all the bills.
Thanks, but could I ask on the two scenario's?
1) He doesn't sign it
2) He signs it

My local FFL has stripped lowers in stock.. all I need to do is go and give him the money and pick them up after 10 days DROS. But before handing the money over then I'd really like to know the future either way..

My ambition would be to build an AR-15 that meet CA legal requirements on the day that I pick up the stripped lower eh has bullet button, is the correct length etc..(without going into specifics)

If I have to jump through additional hoops if the law is signed then I'd like to know what hoops to jump through

Here's what my understanding is...
From what I understand is that once I pickup my stripped lower (with it's serial number on the side) then as far as anyone knows I own an AR-15 that meets CA legal requirements on the day I picked it up from the FFL. Any changes made to the law AFTER that would not effect me as I already own the firearm so long as it complied with requirements of the day I picked up the lower.

Am I totally off track?

Appreciate the advise!
Old 10-02-2013, 2:29 PM

The issue is that it depends on how the DOJ implements its regulations for whether stripped lowers would be able to be registered. However LPKs are cheap and it would not be hard to borrow and throw on an upper for a minute should the law become enacted and you want to register.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:43 PM

HOW you complete the build may affect whether it needs to be registered as an AW later, even though it was legally purchased at the time.

My advice is to buy now. That course will provide you with the most options when the situation has more clarity.

Do not imagine that buying now is the whole solution. Unless you intend to build the rifle as a .22lr dedicated receiver, there will be additional considerations and things you will need to know for the future of that receiver, regardless of whether SB374 becomes law or not. All of the answers will be here when the time comes, so don't panic... just go buy the thing and call the Governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcrea View Post
Thanks, but could I ask on the two scenario's?
1) He doesn't sign it
2) He signs it

My local FFL has stripped lowers in stock.. all I need to do is go and give him the money and pick them up after 10 days DROS. But before handing the money over then I'd really like to know the future either way..

My ambition would be to build an AR-15 that meet CA legal requirements on the day that I pick up the stripped lower eh has bullet button, is the correct length etc..(without going into specifics)

If I have to jump through additional hoops if the law is signed then I'd like to know what hoops to jump through

Here's what my understanding is...
From what I understand is that once I pickup my stripped lower (with it's serial number on the side) then as far as anyone knows I own an AR-15 that meets CA legal requirements on the day I picked it up from the FFL. Any changes made to the law AFTER that would not effect me as I already own the firearm so long as it complied with requirements of the day I picked up the lower.

Am I totally off track?

Appreciate the advise!

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Old 10-02-2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
The issue is that it depends on how the DOJ implements its regulations for whether stripped lowers would be able to be registered. However LPKs are cheap and it would not be hard to borrow and throw on an upper for a minute should the law become enacted and you want to register.
And just to convince all of my ignorance as if you didn't know already, can I ask what LPK stands for?

Lower parts kit???
Old 10-02-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
And just to convince all of my ignorance as if you didn't know already, can I ask what LPK stands for?

Lower parts kit???
yes - LPK = Lower Parts Kit
Old 10-02-2013, 3:24 PM

So for my simple mind:

1) If Merry Jerry doesn't sign the BS into law then everything is the same as normal and we just comply with http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

2) However IF Merry Jerry signs the BS into law With effect Jan 2014 then I would buy the stripped lower, get a Lower parts kit and an upper, build the lower and take it along to my FFL and register it as an assault weapon

Then continue at a later date to build it up so long as it meets the flow chart mentioned above.

Is that correct?
Old 10-02-2013, 3:27 PM

Odds are you will be able to register the lower by itself (probably even stripped) as an AW if 374 is chaptered. In any case, you will have until July of 2015 so the only rush is really about getting it now before the frenzy; you must own anything that you wish to register prior to Jan 1.

Old 10-02-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
So for my simple mind:

1) If Merry Jerry doesn't sign the BS into law then everything is the same as normal and we just comply with http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

2) However IF Merry Jerry signs the BS into law With effect Jan 2014 then I would buy the stripped lower, get a Lower parts kit and an upper, build the lower and take it along to my FFL and register it as an assault weapon

Then continue at a later date to build it up so long as it meets the flow chart mentioned above.

Is that correct?
As for question 1) Brown doesn't have to sign SB374 for it to become law. The only thing he can do is stop it, with a veto.
Old 10-02-2013, 5:48 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So for my simple mind:

Is that correct?

You misunderstand. You think that you don't know the answers to your questions because you are new and ignorant. Truth is that no one really knows what the details of how SB374 will be enforce, not even the CA DOJ.

The Legislature is not skillful in writing Bills with clarity and simplicity. It's always a mess and always takes time to figure out the details.

The answers to your questions mostly do not exist yet.

This invites wasteful speculation when we should be flooding Governor Brown with emails, phone calls and letters asking him nicely to veto this steaming pile of crap.

There will be time enough to figure out whether to buy lowers after the deadline Oct. 13th.
CA Legislature Bill Search - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml
C D Michel, lots of reporting on current CA Legislation - http://www.calgunlaws.com
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 10-02-2013, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Cliffs notes for folks tuning in:

Buy multiple lowers.

Now.

If he signs it?

Buy the rest that you want for your life in the PRK.

Also buy whatever rifle you want.
Old 10-02-2013, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Cliffs notes for folks tuning in:

Buy multiple lowers.

Now.

If he signs it?

Buy the rest that you want for your life in the PRK.

Also buy whatever rifle you want
Ditto

Been saying that for years.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:19 AM

I now have TWO 'JD Machine' Forged Lowers in DROS.

I went ahead and ordered a couple of LPK's plus bullet button conversion x 2, trigger guards x 2 and two 'JD Machine uppers'.. online..

Hopefully I will be a little prepared!..

The crazy thing is that up until the bills arriving on Merry Jerry's desk I never had any intention of owning an AR... I was quite happy with my selection of firearms.. and now these idiots in Sacramento have pushed my buttons and forced me to 'buy while I can'

BTW.. I've now sent numerous emails to Merry Jerry's office urging him to Veto these bills. I used his office's online form. I've also called but didn't get through.

I seriously need to take my tax dollars and move to a real state where they'll be used properly!
Old 10-03-2013, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I now have TWO 'JD Machine' Forged Lowers in DROS.

I went ahead and ordered a couple of LPK's plus bullet button conversion x 2, trigger guards x 2 and two 'JD Machine uppers'.. online..

Hopefully I will be a little prepared!..

The crazy thing is that up until the bills arriving on Merry Jerry's desk I never had any intention of owning an AR... I was quite happy with my selection of firearms.. and now these idiots in Sacramento have pushed my buttons and forced me to 'buy while I can'

BTW.. I've now sent numerous emails to Merry Jerry's office urging him to Veto these bills. I used his office's online form. I've also called but didn't get through.

I seriously need to take my tax dollars and move to a real state where they'll be used properly!
edit: I read too fast.

thanks for writing to Gov. Brown, but call again until you get through. I've been able to get through easily in the last two days in the afternoons.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Got another stripped lower and an 80%

Maybe another 80 this paycheck.
Old 10-03-2013, 3:34 PM

OK.. I have to ask.. Sorry

But what is an 80%

Duhhhhh
Old 10-03-2013, 3:41 PM

80% is a receiver that has not yet been finished into a legal firearm. It differs on what gun type, but usually requires drilling, milling, welding, bending, etc to turn it into a firearm. Look up the ATF guild lines, they specify different standards for each receiver type.

It's all part of home building, which is still legal in CA.
Old 10-03-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
80% is a receiver that has not yet been finished into a legal firearm. It differs on what gun type, but usually requires drilling, milling, welding, bending, etc to turn it into a firearm. Look up the ATF guild lines, they specify different standards for each receiver type.

It's all part of home building, which is still legal in CA.
OK, so can you buy an 80% online and any suggested places?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2013, 7:05 PM

Scroll to the top of this page and look for "80% lowers" in the sponsor ads. Reload a few times, there's at least one up there...

Old 10-04-2013, 9:13 AM

Quote:
So for my simple mind:

Is that correct?
I thought that last time around you just filled out the form and paid the fee, and you didn't have to take it to an FFL.
Old 10-04-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage View Post
I thought that last time around you just filled out the form and paid the fee, and you didn't have to take it to an FFL.
From the bill

Quote:
(b) Registrations shall be submitted either electronically, via the Internet utilizing a public-facing application made available by the department, or through a licensed firearms dealer.
Old 10-04-2013, 9:39 AM

Back to the 80% Lowers:

So what would be a good strategy going forward:

- Obviously get my two Serial Numbered Lowers and build up the AR's. Then if the bill passes register the serial numbers as AW as per the policy.

- As for the 80%.. would it be best to leave them as 80% and mothball them somewhere. I say this because as 80% they can never be considered a firearm right? Or is it better to finish them now and moth ball them?

From what I see is the 80% are a total backup just incase the **** hits the fan and all AR's are confiscated or something.. would that be a correct assumption? In which case leaving them as 80% they would never pose any kind of problem..????
Old 10-04-2013, 9:49 AM

It doesn't appear that the language of SB374 would permit you to complete and then register an 80% if that completion takes place after Jan 1 2014.

IANAL but an 80% not completed on that date could not be built into a centerfire semiauto rifle in the state of CA if SB374 is chaptered into the PC (barring some really unusual and spectacularly unlikely interpretation by DOJ).

Last edited by jwkincal; 10-04-2013 at 9:52 AM..
Old 10-04-2013, 9:53 AM

If you start to do any machining in the fire control pocket (e.g. starting to drill a hole) it becomes a firearm and would be no different than any other stripped receiver. That also means it needs to be stored as you would any other stripped receiver.

Whether a stripped receiver would be able to be registered is another debate.

All the more reason to keep calling, writing letters, etc.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
It doesn't appear that the language of SB374 would permit you to complete and then register an 80% if that completion takes place after Jan 1 2014.

IANAL but an 80% not completed on that date could not be built into a centerfire semiauto rifle in the state of CA if SB374 is chaptered into the PC (barring some really unusual and spectacularly unlikely interpretation by DOJ).
Understood......
Old 10-04-2013, 8:57 PM

October 4, 2013 and still waiting for Governor Brown news regarding SB374
Veto or it becomes a law, hopefully not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk