Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-16-2013, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazZ71 View Post
Alright thanks, this is even sh***ier than I thought. Looks like the only semi-auto I'll ever be owning is my 15-22 lol.
...which would become a registered assault weapon.

M1A, Mini-14, M1 Carbine, Garand? Not banned.

Remove BB or similar device after AW reg? We don't know.
Quote:
(5) The department shall adopt regulations for the purpose of implementing this subdivision. These regulations are exempt from the Administrative Procedure Act (Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 11340) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code). SB 880 | AB 1135
Old 05-16-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pMcW View Post
...which would become a registered assault weapon.
This, because rimfire is not excepted like it is currently.

Welcome to your new life as a criminal because you exercise your constitutional rights
Old 05-16-2013, 2:48 PM

If I just register it as an AW, I won't have anything to worry about right?...
Old 05-16-2013, 2:54 PM

Of course not, just turn it in when they ask for it like they did with SKS and canada, or any others I may have missed. Oh yea there is also the katrina incident.
Old 05-16-2013, 3:16 PM

plus AWs have certain restrictions on use.
Old 05-16-2013, 3:24 PM

Talking

Quote:
Dude, you live in California.
Old 05-16-2013, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You're reminded to keep contacting all the appropriate reps on this in a timely manner. This is certainly not some kind of done deal for this un-American Senator. Especially when we have an incorporated individual 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
Old 05-16-2013, 3:58 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They'll confiscate your rifle when they decided that they need to remove all AWs from hands of law abiding citizens criminals

From the current text, the only center fire semiauto rifle that won't be an AW is the SKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 05-16-2013, 4:23 PM

The only place I'm planning on shooting it is at the range, cow mountain, and maybe a friends house... and all of those places are legal places to shoot AW. The law hasn't passed yet, but if it does I will register it and that's just my decision.
Old 05-16-2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen308 View Post
no...thats not the OBVIOUS way of doing things, think of it like this... if they are gonna come door to door, you really think they are gonna accept the. "o hear it is" line? No... they will come in and take a look for themselves, and when they find your unregistered lower, they will make sure you are treated as the criminal you are...
why are you letting them in? or keeping the lower in an easy to find location?
Old 05-16-2013, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The only place I'm planning on shooting it is at the range, cow mountain, and maybe a friends house... and all of those places are legal places to shoot AW. The law hasn't passed yet, but if it does I will register it and that's just my decision.
Well when the police send you a letter saying "we know you own a evil rifle, you have 2 weeks to turn it in or we come and take it" dont come crying to us.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Registration leads to confiscation.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Alright thanks, this is even sh***ier than I thought. Looks like the only semi-auto I'll ever be owning is my 15-22 lol.
If SB 374 becomes law it will have to be amended with a rimfire exception, period.

What are they are going make all the boys who go shooting their 10/22s with dad into criminals?

Everyone I know has a 10/22 or similar, and not all of them keep up with gun laws. If passed as is it would make hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working, tax paying folks into criminals.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:27 AM

Don't Fix It For Them
Old 05-17-2013, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21Shooter View Post
If SB 374 becomes law it will have to be amended with a rimfire exception, period.

What are they are going make all the boys who go shooting their 10/22s with dad into criminals?

Everyone I know has a 10/22 or similar, and not all of them keep up with gun laws. If passed as is it would make hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working, tax paying folks into criminals.
I think, that's the idea.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
If passed as is it would make hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working, tax paying folks into criminals.
this state already assumes that anyone who is honest, hard working, and tax paying must be a criminal. What kind of person would want to make a living for themselves not off the state? Criminals of course
Old 05-17-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:

We have a winner! ^^^ This guy gets it.

If you don't want this to pass bombard their offices, faxes, facebook, whatever with OPPOSE messages.

Here's a great place to start: click it today!
http://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-is...13-2014/sb374/
Old 05-17-2013, 8:12 AM

Everyone I know has a 10/22 or similar, and not all of them keep up with gun laws. If passed as is it would make hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working, tax paying folks into criminals.[/QUOTE]

They don't want guns in CA, period. They don't want you teaching anyone to shoot.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-17-2013, 8:49 AM

I am absolutely sick about the idea of my 13 year old daughter being a criminal because she likes to shoot a 30 year old marlin 60. I have been making phone calls, writing letters (snail and emails) and will continue to do so. This is such a rediculus bill. But what do you expect from the majority of dimwits in the legislature.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:03 AM
Veritas Aequitas
CGN Contributor

People here have to realize that those in Sacto already believe it is criminal to allow children to have access to any firearms. Boy Scouts are evil because they have traditional values. Those people do not share your values or beliefs. They would love to throw you in jail for child endangerment for allowing any child to shoot a .22 if they could, because you are creating future violent criminals. You can't use logic and common sense to deal with the crop of politicians running California.

If you need a permit to do it, it is not a right, it's a privilege.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
It sure is neat to watch us bicker as these bills move quickly. The 2a sub forum can be seen by anyone who clicks on CalGuns. If I was a gun grabber and stumbled on this thread I'd be giddy right now. Personal attacks. what have you done for me lately? This reads like a soap opera. We need a united front, not a Richard measuring sideshow.
^^^ This ^^^ Bravo, bravo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity
Old 05-17-2013, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to hide the 2A forum to only registered and logged in users. Perhaps even coupled with a certain post count and registration length (to mitigate post whoring). Even manual registration approval and/or sub-forum access could be something to consider.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to hide the 2A forum to only registered and logged in users. Perhaps even coupled with a certain post count and registration length (to mitigate post whoring). Even manual registration approval and/or sub-forum access could be something to consider.
If we are forced to go underground, to (in Biden's word), ``cower'' on the margins like smokers, the antis have won.

Perhaps there could be a rule/restriction against speculation and hermeneutics of bill language (our donations fund lawyers to do so!) -- but every gun owner should be aware of these bills. There are gun shop employees, for example, in Silicon Valley (pretty much the OLL "ground zero") who don't know about SB-47 and SB-374.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM

im a bit confused now.. does that mean a rifle like the howa axiom will be considered an assult rifle? it has a fixed built in ammo box? shouldn't be right?

and looking at the cross out of some of the older descriptions to describe an AW, a pistol grip will no longer signify in the eyes of the law as a AW feature?

am i reading that right?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx0123 View Post
im a bit confused now.. does that mean a rifle like the howa axiom will be considered an assult rifle? it has a fixed built in ammo box? shouldn't be right?
This law needs serious clarification. It would depend on how the law is interpreted, but the wording definitely says "without dis-assembly of the firearm action" so if you can take that magazine off without taking apart the action and the firearm is a semi-auto, it would be an assault weapon. At least, thats my interpretation
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I was wondering when the penny would drop ...

And this is good - Register every gun you have.
...and at YOUR cost. Perhaps it's nearing time to water the Tree of Liberty?
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post

From the current text, the only center fire semiauto rifle that won't be an AW is the SKS.

There are a couple of others

Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
This law needs serious clarification. It would depend on how the law is interpreted, but the wording definitely says "without dis-assembly of the firearm action" so if you can take that magazine off without taking apart the action and the firearm is a semi-auto, it would be an assault weapon. At least, thats my interpretation
hmm.. thats the thing tho.. on that particular rifle, it only has a base that pops out, no actual magazine being inserted or ejected. so you can load by removing base plate and dropping the rounds in or top load through where the bolt is at. this is a bolt action rifle, not a semi auto, but the wording confuses me. i know there is a mag conversion kit, but mine doesn't have the kit. but how it sounds, it doesn't matter if its a semi auto or bolt action if the mag is removable from the way i read it. am i mistaken on the interpretation?

i hate how they write these things.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:

A lot of my friends with 10/22s and Marlin Model 60s and 70s are in the same boat and didn't even know what was going on. Some of them aren't really into shooting that much and as such aren't involved or savvy to all of the new legal actions and legislation that is being pursued by the state; they couldn't believe that rimfires would be classified as such.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
on that particular rifle, it only has a base that pops out
This would consider it a AW with the language that the bills written in. We all know it's pathetic ....
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM

if its not a semi auto its not an assault weapon according to this law
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM

This is really solidifying my resolve to move to Idaho. What a PITA this Protectorate is becoming. Getting to old for this crap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity
Old 05-17-2013, 1:42 PM

at Hooper.

so since a bolt action as not a semi-auto, the rimfire or centerfire stipulation does not apply is what you are saying correct?

yeah, the mag box to be removed doesn't require the action to be removed, but you do have to remove the trigger guard assembly to remove the box as they are 1 piece. and as long as i don't put on the conversion kit on this rifle it doesn't apply to this law that is trying to get passed. does that sound right?
Old 05-17-2013, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

What is the status of this bill?

Old 05-17-2013, 3:03 PM

I love how many on here, no matter how infringed or tyrranicaly oppressed they become, the first thing out their mouths is, "all I have to do is register right?" or "I can just go to the next state over and buy what I need and come back" or "Im so proud of my bullet button, or monsterman grip", ask if those in warsaw if they thought all they had to do was register and wear a little arm band and that was gonna be good enough.

I have come to realize that the rights in this state have been gone so long that the serfs who still reside here have no idea what America is as it was founded is or what actual freedom is, as long as they can suffer the compliance orders they are ok and it doesnt bother them.

These bills are a few steps in intensity behind the red coats marching on Lexington and Concord to sieze the arms, yet some how I think our current crop of patriots will let it go much further before LEX/CON 2.0. And then it will be more like Hunger Games then Red Dawn.

"What do you need?" ..... "Guns ......... Lots of Guns"

NRA member
Old 05-17-2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
so since a bolt action as not a semi-auto, the rimfire or centerfire stipulation does not apply is what you are saying correct?
thats my understanding
Old 05-17-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
if its not a semi auto its not an assault weapon according to this law
True... BUT there is a provision in this bill that requires the registration (as an ordinary long arm pursuant to the regular long gun registry which goes into effect on 1 Jan 2014) of any long gun which uses a detachable magazine regardless of action type or date acquired!

For those playing along at home, that means you gotta register stuff you already own, so that it can be recorded in the database alongside those other evil AWs and the new rifles that folks buy or bring into the state after the beginning of the year. All those bolt-action scout rifles and your Remmy 7600, detachable mag means a record in the DOJ DB.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 05-24-2013, 5:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Senate Appropriations Committee acted on this bill by the predictable 5 ayes to 2 noes vote.

The notion that this bill can die as a result of being in the suspense file was a viable thought in past years because the State was in dire straits financially. But thanks to the voters' passage of Prop 30 and other improved financial conditions, it is very possible that the super majority in the legislature will have no qualms about spending the tens of millions of dollars to enact this bill.

If you really want to get upset by this bill, consider what the bill's analysis states

"For every 100 new felony convictions (both for manufacturing/sale and possession), costs in the range of $2.8 million to $6 million, compounding to $11.2 million to $24 million for overlapping sentences."

Those "new felony convictions" are expected to be annual occurrences. In other words, the bill's authors fully expect to have those of US who are otherwise responsible, law abiding citizens prosecuted under this law. The only redeeming element is that perhaps that cost might cause a few legislators to question whether this law makes sense.

I have spent a fair amount of time communicating with my state senator (who by the way serves on the Appropriations Committee). I even had a chance to meet with him personally to discuss this bill. I really think he questioned its reasonableness, but obviously the pressure of his Caucus vastly overwhelms his appetite to do the right thing.

Keeping this bill from becoming a reality is going to take a tremendous effort on everyone's part. It seems like this will come to a vote in the Senate. We all need to act. Calguns, NRA, CRPA, and other gun rights organizations need our support. But that will not be enough. We will have to light up the phone banks in Sacramento. I spoke to my senator's staffer that is tracking this legislation. I will be calling again today. I hope I have trouble reaching him because the phones are ringing off the hook.

- NRA Life Member (Benefactor)

- CRPA Life Member and Board Director

- SVRGC Rangemaster and Board Member

- Front Sight First Family Diamond Member

Last edited by Kendoka; 05-24-2013 at 5:20 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 7:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Briar Patch!

-Gene
Looks like we're headed into the briar patch. Lets hope this confidence is going to pan out to results.
Old 05-24-2013, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmime1234 View Post
Why an obscure number like $19? I have to imagine it comes from the billwriter's sales pitch to raise the state X number of dollars. X divided by "projected number of firearms in CA to be registered" equals 19.
$19 is not obscure, but it's seemingly arbitrary.