Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM

Default 2013 CA AB 539 - Pan - Firearm possession: prohibitions: transfer to licensed dealer

Allows a firearm owner with a temporary prohibition to transfer to an FFL for holding until expiration of the prohibition.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...arch_keywords=

Quote:
AB 539, as introduced, Pan. Firearm possession: prohibitions: transfer to licensed dealer.
Existing law prohibits specified persons, including persons convicted of specified crimes, persons addicted to the use of any narcotic drug, certain probationers, and persons against whom specified restraining orders or injunctions apply, from possessing a firearm. Under existing law a violation of these provisions is justified if the person possessed the firearm no longer than was necessary to deliver or transport the firearm to a law enforcement agency for that agency’s disposition according to law, if certain requirements are met. Existing law allows a firearm that is in the custody of a law enforcement agency to be sold or transferred to a licensed dealer if the law enforcement agency determines that the legal owner of the firearm is prohibited from possessing the firearm. Existing law requires that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to certain provisions of law to be notified and provided with a form to facilitate the transfer of firearms. Existing law requires the Judicial Counsel to provide notice on all protective orders that the respondent is prohibited from possessing a firearm while the protective order is in effect and that the firearm shall be relinquished to a local law enforcement agency or a licensed firearms dealer.
This bill would allow anyone who is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm pursuant to the above provisions or any other provision of law to transfer any firearm or firearms in his or her possession, or of which he or she is the owner, to a licensed firearms dealer for the duration of the prohibition if the prohibition on owning or possessing the firearm will expires on a date specified the court order. The bill would make conforming changes to the above provisions. Because the bill would impose certain requirements on local agencies relating to the transfer of firearms to a licensed firearms dealer, the bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that, if the Commission on State Mandates determines that the bill contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement for those costs shall be made pursuant to these statutory provisions.
Digest KeyVote: MAJORITY Appropriation: NO Fiscal Committee: YES Local Program: YES
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Pending fine print, THIS MAY WELL BE A GOOD BILL.

I will note it can keep the courts happy (get rid of yoru guns) and avoid Roster issues in getting your guns back.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:25 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Pending fine print, THIS MAY WELL BE A GOOD BILL.

I will note it can keep the courts happy (get rid of yoru guns) and avoid Roster issues in getting your guns back.
That is how I read it as well. Also completely sidesteps the problems with LEAs dragging their feet in returning firearms to non-prohibited persons.
Old 02-21-2013, 3:59 PM
CGN Contributor

just as iimportant as Roster issues would be RAW issues.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM

A good gun bill in California? I'm feeling dizzy...

(Sadly, I fear this bill could see A LOT of use during the shakeout, or shake-down.)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin View Post
That is how I read it as well. Also completely sidesteps the problems with LEAs dragging their feet in returning firearms to non-prohibited persons.
It could also get rid of the problem of getting your gun back after having an extra few thousand rounds fired through it.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
It could also get rid of the problem of getting your gun back after having an extra few thousand rounds fired through it.
Or, having a Colt Gold Cup custom racegun slide + match bbl being replaced by a $200 Essex slide assy.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.