Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Default 2013 CA AB 500 - Ammiano - Firearms // A - PS hearing April 2

This has three provisions as of the original submission:

- If DOJ has not finished an examination of the purchaser's ability to own a firearm within 2 days of the DROS period expiration to notify the FFL of an additional 7 days, and would prohibit the FFL from terminating the purchase and return it to the seller until after that date.

- Requires the FFL to notify that the firearm has actually been picked up by the purchaser.

- Requires that a gun owner who lives with a prohibited person keep all firearms in a locked safe, trunk, etc., or carried on the owner's person.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...arch_keywords=

Quote:
AB 500, as introduced, Ammiano. Firearms.
(1) Existing law requires the Department of Justice, upon submission of firearm purchaser information, to examine its records to determine if the purchaser is prohibited from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm. Existing law prohibits the delivery of a firearm within 10 days of the application to purchase, or, after notice by the department, within 10 days of the submission to the department of any corrections to the application to purchase, or within 10 days of the submission to the department of a specified fee. Existing law generally requires firearms transactions to be completed through a licensed firearms dealers. If a dealer cannot legally deliver a firearm, existing law requires the dealer to return the firearm to the transferor, seller, or person loaning the firearm.
This bill would require the department, if the department has not completed the examination of its records within 2 days prior to the conclusion of the 10-day waiting period described above, to notify the dealer of this fact, and would require the dealer to withhold delivery until 7 days have elapsed after the notification is received by the dealer. The bill would also prohibit a dealer from returning a firearm to the person selling, loaning, or transferring the firearm until 7 days have elapsed after the notification is received by the dealer.
(2) Existing law requires a firearm purchaser to present the dealer with clear evidence of the person’s identity and age, and requires the dealer to make a permanent record of the transaction. Existing law requires the dealer to transmit the record of applicant information to the Department of Justice by electronic or telephonic transfer.
Commencing January 1, 2015, this bill would also require a dealer to notify the department that the person in an application to purchase actually took possession of the firearm, as specified.
(3) Under existing law certain persons are prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, including persons convicted of certain violent offenses, and persons who have been adjudicated as having a mental disorder, among others.
This bill would prohibit a person who is residing with someone who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm from keeping a firearm at that residence unless the firearm is either kept within a locked container, locked gun safe, locked trunk, locked with a locking device, disabled by a firearm safety device, or carried on the person. The bill would make a violation of this provision a misdemeanor. By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
(4) The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.
Digest KeyVote: MAJORITY Appropriation: NO Fiscal Committee: YES Local Program: YES
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 AM

For part (1), does this mean if I try to sell a firearm, and the person turns out to be prohibited, I have to wait an extra 7 days to get my property back? What is the reasoning behind this? The purchaser is the prohibited one, not the seller.
Old 02-21-2013, 1:44 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

#3 is already the law
Old 02-21-2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
For part (1), does this mean if I try to sell a firearm, and the person turns out to be prohibited, I have to wait an extra 7 days to get my property back? What is the reasoning behind this?
To extend the waiting period to a minimum of 17 days.

Use and share my free target for the Pistol Marksman test of the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.
Old 02-21-2013, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
To extend the waiting period to a minimum of 17 days.
Maybe we can get that struck down and end waiting periods in all states. That'd be nifty.
Old 02-21-2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
#3 is already the law
Sounds like good cause for a CCW. Especially after they made UOC illegal.
I don't have a trunk or safe so I'll take choice #3 Regis.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM

I imagine children would classify as prohibited persons...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Rifleman View Post
I imagine children would classify as prohibited persons...
You're 100% right.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-21-2013, 3:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
#3 is already the law
What law is this? You may very well need to keep them locked up and away from the felon so "that felon" doesn't get arrested. This proposal would require the gun owner to lock them up or they would also be in violation of the law.

Unless i'm missing something.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM

The CA negligent storage law overlaps this a bit it seems, not to mention the SF specific storage requirements.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bump

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wish there was a public revolt against gun grabbing demagogues in CA like it was against Grey Davis in 2003 when we kicked him out of office. I know, I know, I can dream!
Old 03-30-2013, 9:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

we all know that these idiots in office do not know the laws that we have already and they introduce one that is already covered. common sense nor knowledge of the law at all is NOT a requirement for state office.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Bump.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Called to oppose -will email after work today at 1500.
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Just called all members of the public safety committee to voice my opposition to AB 48, 169 and 500. Now is the time to call.
Old 04-01-2013, 4:02 PM

I've tried emailing the Public Safety Committee members, but the websites will not let me submit, as my ZIP code places me out of thier respective areas of representation. Solution?
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 04-04-2013, 9:16 AM

W'happen'd?
Old 04-04-2013, 9:38 AM

passed out of committee 5-2
Old 09-04-2013, 1:23 PM

Did anyone catch if this was voted on today? I didn't get on the stream until after this line item on the agenda.