Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-19-2013, 9:46 PM

Default Possible to ship off-roster handgun to myself?

I had a question and I couldn't find a clear answer on the wikis, so sorry if this has been brought up before.

Say I were to travel quite a ways (like 200 miles) for a face to face PPT to buy an off-roster handgun. After the 10 day waiting period the gun is technically mine, right?

So after the 10 days could that FFL then ship it to a FFL near me? Since it's not a sale or a transfer (as I already own the gun) and it's basically to myself, would that be possible? For example, it would be legal for my mother or father to ship it to me, it should be fine for me to ship to me, right?

It would still save me from having to make such a long trip twice.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
"The fundamental point [against gun control] is this: Do you take away the liberties of all, do you assume the guilt of all, because some people cannot handle that freedom properly? Imagine if you did, how many other freedoms would have to be taken away." - Peter Hitchens.
Old 02-19-2013, 9:55 PM

You have to sign form 4473 second time for delivery of firearm. All other issues aside.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:04 AM

Does Federal law make it illegal to buy a firearm in a state that you are not a resident??How do you show proof of residents?If that is the case don't you think everyone would flock to NV or AZ and done this already.Don't think it can be done legally.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxmark View Post
You have to sign form 4473 second time for delivery of firearm. All other issues aside.
Correct and after you sign it the second time the dealer could now send it to you.

But seeing as you're standing right there in the store you might as well just take it with you.

If you are looking at buying an off roster gun via a PPT from someone far a way why not make it worth while for the seller to travel to you, or close to you? that way the long trip only needs to be made once.

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 02-20-2013, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK1135 View Post
Does Federal law make it illegal to buy a firearm in a state that you are not a resident??How do you show proof of residents?If that is the case don't you think everyone would flock to NV or AZ and done this already.Don't think it can be done legally.
Read this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503873

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 02-20-2013, 6:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Maybe try reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK1135 View Post
...the sixth sticky down from the top of the handguns forum main page.

hth

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 02-20-2013, 6:09 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKent View Post
I had a question and I couldn't find a clear answer on the wikis, so sorry if this has been brought up before.

Say I were to travel quite a ways (like 200 miles) for a face to face PPT to buy an off-roster handgun. After the 10 day waiting period the gun is technically mine, right?

So after the 10 days could that FFL then ship it to a FFL near me? Since it's not a sale or a transfer (as I already own the gun) and it's basically to myself, would that be possible? For example, it would be legal for my mother or father to ship it to me, it should be fine for me to ship to me, right?

It would still save me from having to make such a long trip twice.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
It's technically, yours when you go back to the CA FFL dealer and complete the transfer paperwork.

So after the 10 day wait, you go back to the CA FFL dealer and then you can take it with you or ship it to yourself.

Per BATFE, only the actual owner can ship a firearm to themselves. A third party can not ship the firearm to the owner, even if the third party is acting on the behalf of the owner.

If FFL dealer #1 ships the firearm to FFL dealer #2, who is near you, then FFL dealer #2 will need to transfer (4473/DROS/10 day wait) it to you.
This still applies even if you own the firearm.
If the firearm is a handgun, then it needs to be on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-20-2013, 9:56 PM

I think what you're trying to do is avoid driving out to a seller twice.

Thats not really going to happen if the gun is off-roster.

When you go in for the PPT, you have to be there in-person twice. Once when the other party sells it to you, and again when you pick it up. Nobody can pick it up for you, and the transfer isn't really complete until you go there in person to pick it up and finish the paperwork.

If the gun is ON the roster, you can have the seller ship the gun to an FFL near you and you have to pay the FFL's transfer fees.