Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-17-2013, 2:38 PM
Banned

Default Any Acog LED users here?

Whats your opinion? I only wish they would have made a TA11 series into an LED instead of tritium. The TA11 has awesome eye relief.
Old 02-17-2013, 2:49 PM

I don't like the idea of needing batteries for a tactical usage sight system. Tritium and fiber optic means never having to worry about fresh batteries.
Old 02-17-2013, 2:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
I don't like the idea of needing batteries for a tactical usage sight system. Tritium and fiber optic means never having to worry about fresh batteries.
You dont "need" batteries at all It works just like any other scope without batteries and works at LOW light and transitional light when the Tritium isnt bright enough to work. It also works when using a NV device when tritium is too bright. It also works with strongly backlit scenes light a well lit city from outside the city. It runs for months on one stupid AA battery that can be recharged by a tiny solar panel in an hour.

I have a tritium and it has some MAJOR flaws.

Do you own this scope of are you just giving your opinion?
Old 02-17-2013, 3:58 PM

It still has a battery and if left in dark place like gun safe for extended period it will need charging.

I did some research before responding, but don't own it, just several traditional ACOG's and feel they are the KISS way of doing things. A newer mousetrap is not always the better mousetrap IMHO

Just voicing an opinion on complex systems versus simple systems.
Old 02-17-2013, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I did get a chance to check one out it out in the store and I’ll be honest I did like it… Overall the TA02 was very much like my TA31…

I don’t know if I would switch from using my traditional ACOG but I think it’s just personal preference… I really do like never having to fuss with batteries, I know it has some drawbacks but they are minor to me.

That said… if I was shopping for a second ACOG, i would probably give it some consideration if you already have one of their traditional models.
Old 02-18-2013, 8:01 AM
Banned

Do you own a traditional now? For me the low points of the traditional are:

Tritium not bright enough during day/night night/day transitions.
Tritium not bright enough viewing lit areas at night from non-lit areas.
Tritium not bright enough if your eyes are not "night adjusted".
Fiber too bright during direct sunlight leaves a red halo near dot/donut
Fiber not bright enough in low light, tritium wont work either.

Soldiers are slapping chem lights on top of the fiber at night to give them more light on the crosshairs. Soldiers are also slapping high-speed tape on top of the fiber to lower brightness during the day.

All of the above reasons are why the LED acog came to the surface. If you dont run an acog you wouldnt know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I did get a chance to check one out it out in the store and I’ll be honest I did like it… Overall the TA02 was very much like my TA31…

I don’t know if I would switch from using my traditional ACOG but I think it’s just personal preference… I really do like never having to fuss with batteries, I know it has some drawbacks but they are minor to me.

That said… if I was shopping for a second ACOG, i would probably give it some consideration if you already have one of their traditional models.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Do you own a traditional now? For me the low points of the traditional are:
Yes… I have a TA31F

Tritium not bright enough during day/night night/day transitions.
Agreed.. but most of my shooting is during the day so I don’t experience that much.
Tritium not bright enough viewing lit areas at night from non-lit areas.
Agreed…
Tritium not bright enough if your eyes are not "night adjusted".
Agreed… but I find it sufficient for my desert night shoots, AFTER your eyes are adjusted. What color reticle do you have on the TA11?

Fiber too bright during direct sunlight leaves a red halo near dot/donut
I have also experienced blooming… It’s similar to cranking up an eotech or aimpoint way too bright at times. Still usable, just a bit distracting and harder to place shots depending on what you are shooting at.
Fiber not bright enough in low light, tritium wont work either.
This was the biggest bummer for me… I really wish the tritium provided more light for low light shooting. I think the chevron was easier to use low light when compared to the crosshair model. I had some nights where to moonlight was sufficient shot shooting without any assisted lighting.

Soldiers are slapping chem lights on top of the fiber at night to give them more light on the crosshairs. Soldiers are also slapping high-speed tape on top of the fiber to lower brightness during the day.

All of the above reasons are why the LED acog came to the surface. If you dont run an acog you wouldnt know this.
When I picked up an ACOG one of the biggest selling points was the no batteries no maintenance type setup. It was actually the first optic I owned that actually had a BDC. To be honest I don’t use it as much as I thought I would… My preference is towards low power variable like 1-4x or 1-6x type scopes. But I keep it around as my “SHTF” optic… It’s a really nice scope, I would have a hard time parting with it, but I WISH Trijicon took the Tripower approach with the LED ACOG.

It sounds like you would be a solid candidate for the LED model. As long as you don’t mind dealing with the battery portion of the optic I don’t see there being any major downsides. The only model I am aware of is the TA02 which is pretty much a TA31. I remember you saying in the past you were not a fan of the shorter eye relief ACOGs…

Last edited by ExtremeX; 02-18-2013 at 1:13 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 4:45 PM

Isn't that the point of an ACOG? No batteries.
Old 02-18-2013, 5:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedJay View Post
Isn't that the point of an ACOG? No batteries.
PLEASE read above posts instead of doing a DRIVE-BY posting! Sheeeeesh!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We had a sample in my department from Trijicon for a few weeks. I found the highest brightness settings to be almost overwhelming, even on the brightest days. The lowest settings drop the illumination to sufficient levels for lower light conditions. I would certianly buy one if I need another ACOG. Too bad they can't combine the FOV of a TA31 and the eye relief of a TA11 and the LED; then they would really have something!

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 02-20-2013, 1:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
We had a sample in my department from Trijicon for a few weeks. I found the highest brightness settings to be almost overwhelming, even on the brightest days. The lowest settings drop the illumination to sufficient levels for lower light conditions. I would certianly buy one if I need another ACOG. Too bad they can't combine the FOV of a TA31 and the eye relief of a TA11 and the LED; then they would really have something!

Chase B.
Do you have a green one in stock? If not do you have a ta11jg in stock? Coupons?
Old 02-21-2013, 7:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Do you have a green one in stock? If not do you have a ta11jg in stock? Coupons?
Are you asking about a green TA02? I was not aware of one. I dont have any TA11J-Gs in stock. However, i have a few dozen of them on order from Trijicon. Should be here any day (fingers crossed).

PM sent

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 02-27-2013, 1:09 AM

I have a regular red TA02 and I LOVE it. The batteries last forever in medium setting. The battery is a regular AA battery, so you can easily replace them. The best part is that you can turn up or down the brightness without having to put a piece of tape over the fiber optics on the regular ACOG. Its great to be able to make fine adjustments, especially when the lighting conditions may vary from bright to dark areas. The only drawback is the weight is slightly higher due to the batteries, but its a fair trade off. I have both a regular ACOG and the LED and without a doubt, I wish all the ACOGs I have are LED versions.

Last edited by ShadowX; 02-27-2013 at 1:15 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Liberty Optics has the TA11JG in stock. Call them to see if they have any discounts going right now. Scott was able to give me a discount when I bought my Accupoint.
Old 02-27-2013, 9:23 AM

Quote:

Have you ever thought about one of these: https://3gunstuff.800cart.com/?produ...6&id=3gunstuff

It addresses one of the shortcomings of the ACOG. I would try one, but it's only made for the TA11. If they ever make one for the TA33 I would jump on it as the "bloom" can be annoying.