Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Magnetic ammo at Panoche Hills?

Forgive me if this has been asked and ansered, but I can't find a definative answer. It seems from my searches that BLM allows "legal firearms and ammunition", but I've seen several people on different forums refer to avoiding use of magnetic ammo. I'm going to Panoche this weekend and want to shoot a bunch of 8mm mauser, 7.62X54r, and .30 cal carbine that attract a magnet to the bullet. Not sure if they are steel core or steel jacketed. I have non-magnetic I could bring, but would like to shoot a bunch of the magnetic stuff. Should I leave it at home, or would I be okay with shooting it? Fire season starts after April 15th, I believe, but I don't like shooting with a lingering feeling that I might be doing something improper. Of course I'd be careful to try not start a fire regardless. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 PM

I know that fmj is the way since the condors are eating the varmits with lead and being poisoned by it. If you are talking tracers, I believe they are not accepted, but you can contact the hollister field office of the BLM, they should be able to tell you.
Old 02-16-2013, 5:55 AM

The condors will only eat lead if its in a carcass or gut pile. If you leave either one you are hunting. If you are hunting then you must use lead free ammunition per DFG regs. If you are target shooting there is no ammo restriction. Call BLM Hollister office for more info.
As always....make sure you scout the area where you are shooting for other parties BEFORE shooting and make sure of yout backstop. It is becoming increasingly common to hear bullets whizzing by because a d-bag or 5 decides that they are just fine shooting towards the road they didn't see on the ridge above them. AND PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. thanks... oh yeah....and have FUN!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

What covinghouse said except that I wanted to reinforce that if you're not sure about a BLM rule you can always call them. They're actually very friendly on the phone, at least at the Hollister office.

And do please not only pack up your stuff including brass but if there's any loose crap around your shooting area from pack that up too. If we can keep the effects of idiot shooters to a minimum that really helps everybody out.
Old 02-16-2013, 9:10 AM

Thanks guys. I've been to Panoche before and have heard the bullets whizzing overhead, and always pick up after myself. This will be the first time shooting milsurp ammo there and wasn't sure about the rules. I was'nt sure I'd get a live person on the phone on a holiday weekend, since I really only decided last night that I'm going there tomorrow. I researched the topic before posting and hoped that maybe a BLM guy would hop on and set me straight. I'm bringing 8 guns in total and between me and a friend we'll be shooting up around 1,000 rounds of various ammo. I'll try to close out the thread on Sunday night with a brief report on the Sunday conditions. I always appreciate the helpfulness of fellow Calgunners. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 PM

I went to Panoche today and I'd really over-estimated the number of rounds I could shoot before my shoulder was too battered to continue. I decided to take a "don't ask - don't tell" approach to the magnetic ammo situation. The place we decided to shoot from looked like a trash heap when we arrived. It was really sad. We settled-in and set up our table and shooting station. I shot about 25 rounds of bird shot through my single-shot and double-barrel hammer gun 12 gauges, about 100 rounds through the Browning Hi Power, 10 through the Taurus 38 special, 24 through the Ruger Single Six .22 magnum, about 100 rounds through the Wichester M1 Carbine, and then the fun began. I shot about 20 rounds through my "new" Mosin 91/30, and then about 25 rounds through my M48 Mauser, including 10 rounds of the "hot" Turkish stuff. It was those last that did me in. I'm tall, but thin, and the last 10 rounds just beat me silly. All the guns performed flawlessly, and it was a great day. We picked up ALL the trash when we left (two big bags more than we brought with us) and I've already cleaned the 5 rifles. Tomorrow I'll tackle the handguns. I was really surprised how accurate both the Mosin and Mauser were. I was hitting one gallon jugs at 100 yards shooting off-hand from a standing position, or hitting just around them. Sweet. Had a great time and got my fix for a while. Off to bed soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 7:02 AM

Yeah, I always over estimate the amount of ammo I'll shoot when i go out there. Even with three teenagers shooting. Although the last time we went, my boys shot up all the .308 in about 10 minutes. Had to have a little discussion on ammo cost. And this was before the ammo shortage....When you put it in cost per bang, they kind of get the picture. My co-worker has a mosin he brought the last time. Accurate rifle for sure. We set up a empty oxygen tank about 380 yards out, and if it wasn't getting hit, the other shots were definitely right there around it. Glad you had fun, and thanks for picking up!!!