Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-27-2013, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default DirecTV remotes are garbage

We have 2 DirecTV boxes, one is about 6 years old, the other was new when we got it last year. The old one has 2 oem remotes and 1 aftermarket Dallas Cowboys one (GF bought it, don't blame me!) and the new one has it's brand new remote.

Every one of them is crap. Takes several seconds for commands to be recognized whether it's talking to the box in front of me or the one in the other room (they're networked together). Has anyone run into this or can recommend a good 3rd party remote? I'm partial to Logitech, their keyboards and mice are all I use. Was thinking of this guy:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-touch
Old 02-27-2013, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A logitech Harmony One was one of the best investments I've ever made. $$ but worth every penny. It looks like the One has been replaced with the touch.

These things are seriously cool. You program them through your computer and everything is activity based, so if I want to watch TV, I just hit "Watch TV" and all the right equipment turns on and goes to the correct inputs/outputs.

Last edited by Hoologan; 02-27-2013 at 1:59 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 9:13 AM

The logitech are nice. I have had two. Unfortunately they have both suffered a short life. The latest was the Harmony 900. After updating the remote with a new device is was stuck on the white screen of death. Logitech basically said I am out of warranty and there is nothing they can do. Nice remote while it lasted. The delay from your Direct TV remote is from the DVR and not your remote. The harmony will act the same. The touch look pretty sweet though. I just read somewhere that Logitech just sold the Harmony remote line????
Old 03-01-2013, 9:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

But I find it odd that a 6 or 7 year old box and a brand new one both move at frozen molasses speed. It's not an issue of the internal HDD being too full or fragmented, as it does this just watching TV as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The answer is Logitech Harmony, I have Harmony Ones in two rooms.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

HARMONY SUCKS sucks for "ME"!!! (program universal remotes and for me harmony is WAY too proprietary) The reason for the delay is NOT the remote but the box. Do you have all the latest firmware on the boxes? If they are on the network and access to internet update firmware, if you want a good universal remote buy a Universal RemoteTM remote.

EDIT:

I have reread what I wrote and just wanted to clarify that what I said about Logitec sucking is from a different point of view then most. I am an installer so when I go into a job to program a universal remote, I would like to have an easy setup BUT also very customizable because I can do much faster work and more advanced setup for you the customer and leave without having to charge you for longer labor. The Logitec brand does not fully fill my needs. It sucks for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!

Last edited by Yugo; 03-03-2013 at 3:06 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Double checking the firmware tonight but should be current. I've all but decided on the Harmony touch, Logitech has never done me wrong. Just hard to take $250 from my guns & ammo budget for a TV remote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Clearing the cache on the DVR has helped me before with slow boxes. Sometimes temporary but at least it helps. Here is the process.
Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the lower left.
Old 03-01-2013, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Double checking the firmware tonight but should be current. I've all but decided on the Harmony touch, Logitech has never done me wrong. Just hard to take $250 from my guns & ammo budget for a TV remote
It's less painful now since ammo is nowhere to be found.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 03-01-2013, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckinhead View Post
Clearing the cache on the DVR has helped me before with slow boxes. Sometimes temporary but at least it helps. Here is the process.
Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the lower left.
Awesome tip thanks for that.

OP it's not the remote it the receiver. And it gets even slower when recording.
Old 03-01-2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
HARMONY SUCKS!!! (program universal remotes and for me harmony is WAY too proprietary) The reason for the delay is NOT the remote but the box. Do you have all the latest firmware on the boxes? If they are on the network and access to internet update firmware, if you want a good universal remote buy a Universal RemoteTM remote.
+1. My Universal remote has seved me well. After a couple years the buttons stopped working. Remote was fixed free by UR. More $$ than the harmony but leaps and bounds ahead
Old 03-01-2013, 6:58 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I really loved paying $200 for my HD DirecTV box and then not even owning it and having to return it when I cancelled my subscription 2 years later.

FIOS has been infinitely better AND cheaper..
Old 03-01-2013, 7:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

harmony 1100
Old 03-01-2013, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Another vote for the Harmony here. Its aptly named. Your wife no longer has to yell at you for having 10 remotes on the coffe table and not knowing the correct sequence of buttons to press on them to do something as simple as watch TV. All she has to do is press the Watch TV button on the Harmony. If something doesnt work right there is even a help button. No more "honey! I want to watch tv! get in here and make this &#%@ing thing work!"

I have a couple Harmony 700s but honestly i liked the old bean shape better. Functionally they are the same.
Old 03-01-2013, 7:11 PM

Same issue with my Dvr you can see the blue light respond but it take several minutes or seconds to respond. Problem as per directv is not in the remote but the software for the Dvr. The tech told me many moths ago there would be a software update forthcoming but I have not seen it
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
Same issue with my Dvr you can see the blue light respond but it take several minutes or seconds to respond. Problem as per directv is not in the remote but the software for the Dvr. The tech told me many moths ago there would be a software update forthcoming but I have not seen it
Mine does this too. It seems to do it most if you have less than 60% free on the storage. Its a piece of crap.
Old 03-08-2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
A logitech Harmony One was one of the best investments I've ever made. $$ but worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
The answer is Logitech Harmony, I have Harmony Ones in two rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
Another vote for the Harmony here.
Get one. You will never be the same. The setup has been greatly simplified recently. Mine has lasted for years.
Old 03-08-2013, 6:53 PM

It is not the remote duh
Old 03-08-2013, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I have had a Logitech Harmony 700 for just over a year... no issues and it is rechargeable too!

Put it this way, my wife used to have to call me to ask me how to turn on the radio, or access our movies on the media server... now she doesnt need me!

Custom activities are awesome! As others have said, get one and you will not regret it!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 03-17-2013, 9:06 AM

The guys that upgraded my Dvr to the genie told me that the silver dvr's are crap and they are told to remove them when ever possible. I've noticed myself the are slow take up to 5 min to respond
It is simply a computer hard drive in need of a defrag