Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-13-2013, 2:35 PM

Default Figuring Out a Fair Price

Hey guys,

Realizing that I've got more shotguns than limbs, I figured I'd sell my least-used shotgun -- an 870 express with a vang comp barrel, side-saddle, and hi-viz mag follower, with ridiculously few rounds shot through it (I'm a lefty, and never adapted it for lefty use).

I don't really want to do the gunbroker thing -- I'd rather have this be easy and local. Which means that, since I'm not going to auction it, I need to figure out a fair price for it.

How would I go about doing that?

-roy
Old 02-13-2013, 3:11 PM

what's the gun new, take ten percent off it and sell it

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 02-13-2013, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Where you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrapoport View Post
Hey guys,

Realizing that I've got more shotguns than limbs, I figured I'd sell my least-used shotgun -- an 870 express with a vang comp barrel, side-saddle, and hi-viz mag follower, with ridiculously few rounds shot through it (I'm a lefty, and never adapted it for lefty use).

I don't really want to do the gunbroker thing -- I'd rather have this be easy and local. Which means that, since I'm not going to auction it, I need to figure out a fair price for it.

How would I go about doing that?

-roy
Old 02-13-2013, 7:19 PM

In the Bay Area (Pacifica, specifically).

I ended up doing completed item searches on gunbroker.com for the shotgun and for the Vang Comp barrel, and ended up listing it at $600 here. That felt a little high, but I figured I'll see if anyone goes for that price; otherwise, I'll either lower or see if someone offers something reasonable in PM anyway. I'm not desperate (and on the flip side I'm not trying to gouge anyone).

Thanks for the help,
-roy
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Don't get hung up on starting the price too high. You might have to endure abuse by other posters, but opinions are like belly buttons...

If you get no hits, lower price. Rinse and repeat. I did that selling my AK on here. I was going to lower the price every couple of days or so that I didn't get any inquiries. Only had to lower it once though.

If someone will pay the price, seems fair. No one making them buy it.
Old 02-14-2013, 6:21 AM

uw06670, thanks for the encouraging words.

Amusingly enough, about two hours after I posted the shotgun, it sold.

So hey, I guess I did alright, price-wise
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Cool, congrats. Now you'll only have to wonder "crap, did I screw myself out of more money?" LOL
Old 02-15-2013, 8:10 AM

Well, it's sort of funny. After I posted, I mentioned to a friend of mine I was selling it, to which he responded with "OMG, I've been looking for JUST that shotgun for months!"

I ended up selling it for a little less than what I posted it for -- trying to compromise between "best price I can get" and "treating my friends and family fairly." As it is, I think I ended up getting about 20% more than I paid for the shotgun (and the barrel) new, so ... I did alright

I have to admit that -- weirdly -- I'm starting to really like this whole "selling firearms" thing, especially right now. In the 90s, I stocked up on firearms with more of a collector's mindset. Paring down to focus on the firearms I'm actually interested in shooting (and using the money to upgrade or get more of the models that I actually like) feels very rewarding. And it's a good time to sell.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 AM

i stopped selling and buying for a few months, then i needed some extra cash i ended up selling one of my guns and within that month baught about five.... it's a never ending game. I sell this because i want to buy that, but wait i missed this so i should buy it again, then what should i sell......etc.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"