Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Your class instructor was accurate. The law does NOT require you to inform the officer. This is merely the arbitrary policy/restriction that Sacramento county put on their license. It's up to you if you want to follow it or not, however just realize they have the power to revoke your license if you are found out. I would strongly recommend informing the officer in the interest of your personal safety. Otherwise you risk getting shot by the untrained, nervous, trigger-happy rookies out there if they spot your gun at the wrong moment. You have to understand from an LEO mindset, they are expecting the worst out of every encounter. It is a product of their own survival mechanism, you can't fault them. They generally don't associate people who carry guns as good guys, just be as open and honest as possible should you ever have to deal with an LEO while CCWing, and hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEONARD13 View Post
First, where did you do your training?

Second, Its true that it is not in the Penal Code that being said however it is a stipulation of exercising the Sac Co issued permit.
You would think that since I'm in Sacramento County as was the school, that they would have told us that. I'm not sure they even know. I'm passing by there in the next few days, I'll stop by and ask.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 05-20-2013, 9:49 PM

Thank you for the information.
Old 05-21-2013, 1:53 PM

MAJORSIDEBURNS..... you are WRONG... The law states what ever is on the permit you have to follow! Therefore, when sac initiated the policy and put it in writing on the permit, it became law!

CAM.... It's written on the permit, so you have to follow it! You risk violating the permit guidelines and then being UN-licensed, violating the law if your carrying. It's NOT worth the risk!
Old 05-21-2013, 2:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops... View Post
MAJORSIDEBURNS..... you are WRONG... The law states what ever is on the permit you have to follow! Therefore, when sac initiated the policy and put it in writing on the permit, it became law!

CAM.... It's written on the permit, so you have to follow it! You risk violating the permit guidelines and then being UN-licensed, violating the law if your carrying. It's NOT worth the risk!
Thanks. Have my final appt on the 28th, so do not have the permit in my hands yet.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 05-22-2013, 5:38 AM

Cam.... I have had a CCW in Sac County for over 12 years without any problems... My initial had NO terms on it, and then when Sac went to open policy, they started adding terms. The Alcohol was there and then they decided to add the LEO contact. I have weekly dealings with Sac Deputy's and they ALL have been great! The first ones were kinda iffy, but now they are use to it!

REMEMBER... If you are violating the terms on the permit, it becomes INVALID and then you are carrying illegally. If you have any questions PM me, if I can help, I am here!
Old 05-22-2013, 7:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Cam.... I have had a CCW in Sac County for over 12 years without any problems... My initial had NO terms on it, and then when Sac went to open policy, they started adding terms. The Alcohol was there and then they decided to add the LEO contact. I have weekly dealings with Sac Deputy's and they ALL have been great! The first ones were kinda iffy, but now they are use to it!

REMEMBER... If you are violating the terms on the permit, it becomes INVALID and then you are carrying illegally. If you have any questions PM me, if I can help, I am here!
Thanks, appreciate it.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 07-02-2013, 1:43 PM

I am completing my renewal form and unable to locate my X-REF. I did not find this on my permit. Can someone direct me to the source of this information?

Thank you.
Old 07-04-2013, 3:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
Actually I don't have a problem with the policy. If I get pulled over or approached by a LEO the first thing they get is my LTC followed by my DL. I don't think LEO's like surprises when it comes to firearms. I'd rather they know up front.
As a CHP buddy of mine said, "The bad guys don't tell us about the guns they have on them, don't be the bad guy."

I have met plenty of bad cops. Maybe tell them not to be "the bad guy".
Old 07-04-2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Rez View Post
I am completing my renewal form and unable to locate my X-REF. I did not find this on my permit. Can someone direct me to the source of this information?

Thank you.
It is an internal reference number for SDD. Leave it blank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-04-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Rez View Post

Thank you.
Pretty sure it's the one on the line for "Local Agency Number." I put that one on my renewal app and had no problems. I'm sure you can just leave it blank and they'll write it in if they want it there. Interestingly, my first license, issued in late Spring 2011, had no X-REF. I did a couple of mods to add guns and each of those did have the X-REF typed on the license.
Old 07-04-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The specific requirement for disclosure isn't in PC, but the requirement that conditions and restrictions on the license be printed on the license exists in PC. Sac Sheriff has decided that the disclosure should be a condition of licensure. Regardless of which part of the state you may be in, if you have a Sac-issued license, you have to disclose when contacted by LEOs.
My training instructor last week stated that in Placer County, you are required to notify whether you are carrying or not. When asked why they are requiring this, he stated it started March 1st of this year and the reasoning is that when stopped by County Sheriff or Local PD they are likely to look at the county database that will give them the information concerning your CCW before they approach your vehicle. CHP may or may not access. They want to avoid any unnecessary situations. He also stated that the local counties are starting to work together to standardize the rules instituted by the counties for CCW.
Old 07-06-2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctwn35 View Post
It is an internal reference number for SDD. Leave it blank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thank you.
Old 07-07-2013, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
FYI- on the laminating of your permit.
CA law states that it may be laminated. My issuing authority says not to, because some idiots will fold it- then laminate it, so you can't see the restrictions.
However, I have laminated my unfolded permit in the past, and it pissed them off when I had it renewed. I told them it is a perfectly legal according to law. They accepted that, and said it's mainly because they don't like to issue a new permit if you have to add or delete a weapon.
It's a piece of paper. What is the problem?
Old 07-30-2013, 5:47 AM

Do I still need a separate good clause letter or is the section on the application sufficient for renewal?
Old 07-30-2013, 8:42 AM

I am comming up on renewal and when I try to set an appointment with the online scheduler at sac county I get this: "Unfortunately, your California Driver's License/ID does not seem to be on file and will only be able to schedule an appointment to apply for a new Concealed Weapons Permit." Has anybody else had this issue?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
Do I still need a separate good clause letter or is the section on the application sufficient for renewal?
Since they wanted a separate page when I first went through the process in 2011, I typed a separate page this time too, and wrote "See attachment" or something similar in the box on the application.
Old 07-30-2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdff View Post
I am comming up on renewal and when I try to set an appointment with the online scheduler at sac county I get this: "Unfortunately, your California Driver's License/ID does not seem to be on file and will only be able to schedule an appointment to apply for a new Concealed Weapons Permit." Has anybody else had this issue?
My Dad had this same problem, call them and ask about it. They sent his permit and didnt enter it into the system. Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 8:26 PM

I Went in today with the renewal app of the web from a month or so ago and they are using a packet again like when we got are permit with all the questions and other stuff. This only started a couple weeks ago. And I just wrote my statement on the app, no separate paper.
Old 07-31-2013, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeye69 View Post
I Went in today with the renewal app of the web from a month or so ago and they are using a packet again like when we got are permit with all the questions and other stuff. This only started a couple weeks ago. And I just wrote my statement on the app, no separate paper.
There is a new application/renewal forms now on the web. I brought a separate good cause letter but they didn't ask for it.
Old 08-04-2013, 3:25 AM

System kicked my appointment after they sent the confirmation email.... Now I am stuck and have to wait a month for my renewal. Sux because I have to renew it after it expires, so no carry for me!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
So the disclosure,, is it Sac county only or state wide? Must you declare the permit even if not carrying at the timer?.
The disclosure is statewide and any state that does recognize a CA CCW. (There are a couple).

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
I did my renewel yesterday. Dude didn't say anything about the notification to Law Enforcement about being a CCW license holder. If I'm not carrying, why do I need to disclose?
According to the officer who processed my renewal in May, you are not required to declare your CCW IF you do not have your weapon, however he said it would be a good idea to declare it regardless since when when they run your name and drivers license it will show up in the system that you do have a CCW. This could then get the officer a little nervous since you did not declare. For your safety and theirs its best to be up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Your class instructor was accurate. The law does NOT require you to inform the officer. This is merely the arbitrary policy/restriction that Sacramento county put on their license. It's up to you if you want to follow it or not, however just realize they have the power to revoke your license if you are found out. I would strongly recommend informing the officer in the interest of your personal safety. Otherwise you risk getting shot by the untrained, nervous, trigger-happy rookies out there if they spot your gun at the wrong moment. You have to understand from an LEO mindset, they are expecting the worst out of every encounter. It is a product of their own survival mechanism, you can't fault them. They generally don't associate people who carry guns as good guys, just be as open and honest as possible should you ever have to deal with an LEO while CCWing, and hope for the best.
The Penal code does not require it however it is a condition of your CCW so you will need to advise any LEO when contacted. If you are stopped in another city or county and you do not advise the officer it will still come up when they run your name and drivers license. The officer can then notify Sacramento County that you are in violation of your CCW restriction and have your CCW revoked. The notification is required as a condition of your CCW, it may not be a crime but it is a justifiable reason for the sheriffs dept to revoke your permit.

Always confirm it for yourself. Ignorance is no excuse.

Contact the Governor now
http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
Old 08-06-2013, 7:38 AM

In regards to my post about my CDL not being in the system; received an email from Amber stating that it is because they sent me a notice in May stating that it was revoked, non-renewable and DOJ notified... WTF is this about...Call into Amber...
Old 08-06-2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
In regards to my post about my CDL not being in the system; received an email from Amber stating that it is because they sent me a notice in May stating that it was revoked, non-renewable and DOJ notified... WTF is this about...Call into Amber...
Do you have unpaid tickets? This happened to me when I was an irresponsible, broke 21 year old that was moving a lot. I had 2 seat belt tickets that I didn't pay and found out from a not so nice Fairfield CHP that my license was suspended during a traffic stop. I found out that they had even gone to my old house and tried to serve a bench warrant that was issued for it.
Old 08-06-2013, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Call DMV
Old 08-06-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Call DMV
Sorry for that...My CCW was revoked..
Old 08-06-2013, 9:35 AM

Angry

Quote:
Sorry for that...My CCW was revoked..
Just got back to my office from the SSD whom informed me that they sent out a letter in MAY (to my old address even though they hve my new address on file and on my CCW) that stated that they wewre informaed by Sac PD of an incident I was involved in where a guy shoved my into a glass door and had me between him and the door.. I shoved him to get him off me and away from my weapon. He fell and the good 'ol boy and girls at SAC PD respond at the guy who shoved my and fell did a citizens arrest and a misdo battery. ---To be continued in a minute.
Old 08-06-2013, 9:48 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Just got back to my office from the SSD whom informed me that they sent out a letter in MAY (to my old address even though they hve my new address on file and on my CCW) that stated that they were informaed by Sac PD of an incident I was involved in where a guy shoved my into a glass door and had me between him and the door.. I shoved him to get him off me and away from my weapon. He fell and the good 'ol boyz and girls at SAC PD respond and the guy who shoved my and fell did a citizens arrest and a misdo battery. ---To be continued in a minute.
So anyway...I am at the SSD and the female SECURITY GUARD was a total female dog but the male officer that overheard the conversation helped me out. Called up to the CCW office and had Det. Kontz pull my file. He came down and explained what was going on and how I could appeal.

Write a statement with supporting witness statements and submit it. Well SAC PD won't release the report because they have me listed as the suspect not the victim. So now I need to get an attorney to get the report to file the appeal all because some a-hole shoved my into a door and I was protecting myself by shoving him away from me.

Be safe my brother and sisters. Do not let yourself be the victim / and then turn out to be the suspect.

Last edited by smfdff; 08-06-2013 at 9:50 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Sac County 2-year Renewal appointment info

Lesson here for all would be to (a) do your best to avoid situations in which somebody might be more likely than usual to shove you against a door (not judging the OP, just in general). (b) If something like that does occur, be proactive, consult with an attorney right away, and advise SSD ASAP (following guidelines recommended by your attorney), rather than waiting for them to act on the info without hearing from you.

But really, choice (a) is paramount. Again, that's in general. I have no idea about the specifics of the OP's situation, nor should he post any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-06-2013, 4:51 PM

SMF.... Why didn't you do a CA against the suspect for 240-242pc?
Old 08-06-2013, 7:47 PM

Default Renewal Time frame

So my CCW renewal comes up in Feb 2014 How soon can I do my renewal qual and paperwork prior to the experation date? I'm here in Sacramento. Any limitations on how soon I can get my prep work done?

Thanks..
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM

I think I heard six months is the max, Go ahead and make your renewal appointment now but wait to do the class till the last 60 days. If you do the paperwork to early and they change it you could find yourself in a jam.

I had my renewal appointment in May (permit expired end of June). I got the new license within 10 days, but it was not effective until the day I old permit expired.

Always confirm it for yourself. Ignorance is no excuse.

Contact the Governor now
http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
Old 08-07-2013, 6:19 AM

Thanks for the input. Ill prob call them today just to clarify. I found nothing pertaining to it on their web site.
Old 08-07-2013, 7:29 AM

Quote:
SMF.... Why didn't you do a CA against the suspect for 240-242pc?
We used to have coffee together. Did not know it would go this far and I was not injured. Plus the DA dosn't have time for petty s**t like a couple of guys shoving each other.