Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-12-2013, 5:47 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Default FBI Virus

Anyone have any experience with this virus, or how to get rid of it?
Old 02-12-2013, 5:52 PM

Malware bytes
can't have Internet connection without setting off it off. (At least that's the way it was last time I saw it) you'll have to DL the program on a USB drive from another pc and install that way.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:49 PM
9mm>.40
CGN Contributor

I just recently started seeing this. http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-th...lware-removal/

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:52 PM

I got that damn thing about a month ago. Had to take it to some computer guys to get rid of it. It is insidious~!
Old 02-12-2013, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackem1899 View Post
Malware bytes
can't have Internet connection without setting off it off. (At least that's the way it was last time I saw it) you'll have to DL the program on a USB drive from another pc and install that way.
Yup, Log onto a clean machine and download the instructions.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:32 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
Anyone have any experience with this virus, or how to get rid of it?
You can uninstall it, but there may still be keystroke loggers and other beasties that you will fail to remove. Best bet is to back up your data, wipe the hard drive clean and re install your OS from a known clean source or your recovery disc (which I KNOW you made when first plugging in your computer...)

A simple uninstall is NOT enough. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:45 PM
9mm>.40
CGN Contributor

A person recently brought a system in with this infection. The clever thing sits on top of every single application if you just log in to windows. One guy at the shop even thought it might be legit. I told him the fact that it prompted for money thru moneypak was a dead giveaway.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Every box I've seen with it we ended up wiping, nothing else removed it 100%.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:56 PM

someones been downloading some pron....
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM

I just helped out a friend rescue a machine that had a drive by download. The darn thing had the encryption variant. The malware encrypted all the docs and pictures, and basically extorted money for the decryption key. Luckily, there was a freebie decrypter through a anti-malware company and after a couple of guesses as to the key, I was able to decrypt his stuff. Backed up the data, scanned it twice with two different virus scanners, and wiped the machine before rebuilding it and putting the sanitized data back on the machine. Took two days and was rewarded with my favorite beer...(should have taken ammo...dang it...)

Major take aways: Get a virus/malware scanner, backup your data (often, and preventatively), and consider changing your DNS provider to Google DNS or OpenDNS to blacklist known bad websites.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
CGN Contributor

We have been seeing this a lot at work recently. A lot of our clients are picking this virus up from bad browsing habits.

We use Bleeping computer whenever a new virus pops up.

Check the link below for removal instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...pak-ransomware

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

Sign and fight - Defend our right to bear arms
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

I'm logged into the infected laptop with a Guest Account.

Is there software I can download online that will remove the virus? If so, a link would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Hitman Pro was the only thing that worked for me. download it and burn to CD or create bootable thumb drive. It will boot to Hitman and run a scan. I tried for 2 weeks to get this one off. Tried everything the interwebz suggested: System restores, other admin accounts, malwarebytes, SAS, ESET online scanner, combofix etc....and it kept coming back. Even the stuff bleepingcomputer.com suggested didn't work. Anyway good luck!

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I've had several of these come through my workshop in past year. It's a PITA!!!! So far all "instructions" on Internet were incomplete, inaccurate, or totally bogus! Following some instructions on bleeping computer and other well known sites removed some of the major issues, but many still remained...

Problem is that this thing lets other malware/spyware/virii in and the best and safest bet is to backup all your user data, then format and perform a clean install of Windows and all apps!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Why does it take the AV and mal-ware companies so long to come out with a fix for malware... Also if you are not using firefox with adblock and no-script you should be. You can get malware from java run ads on websites etc.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 02-13-2013, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
...Also if you are not using firefox with adblock and no-script you should be. You can get malware from java run ads on websites etc.
All browsers are suspect to this nasty malware, ff isnt any safer than the others. The FBI (AKA: Moneypak) virus is quite sophisticated malware that is actually classified as ransomeware... you are instructed to pay to remove it! Do not ever pay them!

THE KEY HERE IS THAT MOST USERS DO NOT UPDATE JAVA WHEN PROMPTED TO DO SO!

Hell, most users think java is another name for coffee! LOL!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 02-13-2013, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just looked into this a bit more and in late October Norton posted this video on removing "Moneypak" ransomeware!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dKBXeoLIFo
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
Why does it take the AV and mal-ware companies so long to come out with a fix for malware... Also if you are not using firefox with adblock and no-script you should be. You can get malware from java run ads on websites etc.
First they have to identify what the actual files are (ever looked at how many actual files there are in a Windows installation). Then they have to figure out what it does and how it does it. Then they have to make something that counteracts it. The nastiest malware and viruses can get updates and modify themselves real-time. It's like having an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria.
Old 02-13-2013, 2:43 PM

The FBI actually put out an official statement saying it wasn't theirs because they were getting so many calls about it: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012...#disablemobile
Old 02-13-2013, 4:51 PM

the only way I could get that effin' thing off my computer was to do system restore. Lucky for me I had a restore point that was only a couple days earlier.... serious PITA...

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 02-13-2013, 6:18 PM

That virus has been around for awhile its a pain to get off of your computer. After you get your computer back to normal install this asap.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...ml?tag=mncol;1
Old 02-13-2013, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The FBI actually put out an official statement saying it wasn't theirs because they were getting so many calls about it: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012...#disablemobile
Did anyone really believe this malware came from the FBI? If so, they dont deserve to use a computer!

It is simply referred to as the FBI virus due to the popup message that states the FBI has locked your PC due to illegal activity. It's AKA Moneypak virus!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Did anyone really believe this malware came from the FBI? If so, they dont deserve to use a computer!

It is simply referred to as the FBI virus due to the popup message that states the FBI has locked your PC due to illegal activity. It's AKA Moneypak virus!
Lol I guess so! I just came across that page when I was searching how to remove the virus a few months ago. I found it pretty funny how gullible people are... Then again I worked with someone who entered their credit card info to "Purchase a subscription" for the Windows Security System virus...
Edit: I don't think anyone on here actually thought that.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Lol I guess so! I just came across that page when I was searching how to remove the virus a few months ago. I found it pretty funny how gullible people are... Then again I worked with someone who entered their credit card info to "Purchase a subscription" for the Windows Security System virus...
Edit: I don't think anyone on here actually thought that.
I thought it was rather convenient that the FBI lets me pay with PayPal or a GreenDot Prepaid Gift Card
Old 02-14-2013, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
All browsers are suspect to this nasty malware, ff isnt any safer than the others. The FBI (AKA: Moneypak) virus is quite sophisticated malware that is actually classified as ransomeware... you are instructed to pay to remove it! Do not ever pay them!

THE KEY HERE IS THAT MOST USERS DO NOT UPDATE JAVA WHEN PROMPTED TO DO SO!

Hell, most users think java is another name for coffee! LOL!
The reason you have FF is for the ad-ons like no-script. With no script NOTHING can/will run in the background unless you give it permission. So when you or your wife/kid etc clicks on a link they wont just automatically get the virus without first being prompted to allow the site to run java etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
First they have to identify what the actual files are (ever looked at how many actual files there are in a Windows installation). Then they have to figure out what it does and how it does it. Then they have to make something that counteracts it. The nastiest malware and viruses can get updates and modify themselves real-time. It's like having an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria.
I work as a sys admin for a large IT company and deal with this crap all the time. The thing that puzzles me is apps like Malware bytes and other virus scanners will find the virus say they removed them and then as soon as you reboot they find them again... It seems like they no they where are there etc. Plus its pretty simple to install windows download all the latest patches etc and know which files are windows related etc.

Linux for the Win!

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 02-15-2013, 9:32 AM

Wipe. That is the ONLY thing to do when you think you have been infected. I am sure you can figure out a way to clean it out, but the only be all end all is to wipe and reload OS.

Try going with linux, these virus problems are quite rare in linux.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Some stuff can hide in the system restore dir, and gets restored every boot if you are having this issue try turning off system restore for a reboot, then use MalwareBytes, then if it goes away re-enable system restore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Rebar View Post
Wipe. That is the ONLY thing to do when you think you have been infected. I am sure you can figure out a way to clean it out, but the only be all end all is to wipe and reload OS.

Try going with linux, these virus problems are quite rare in linux.
You don't really need to wipe the drive, a clean reinstall should be sufficient.

Last edited by the86d; 02-15-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I did not mean a disk format, just an OS reload, but while you are down there, could not hurt.
Old 02-17-2013, 8:18 PM
Banned

Amateurs......

Emsisoft (follow these instructions)

Combofix (run this too)

Malwarebytes (run this too)

Also you could follow these instructions.........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...453/fbi-virus/
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Every box I've seen with it we ended up wiping, nothing else removed it 100%.
I've done the FBI Virus no less than ~40 instances with removal being as close to 100% as I can reasonably expect.

I've seen it come along with the ZeroAccess trojan and a few other oddities/damages to windows components like the Windows Firewall. However, I can't recall any instance where I wasn't able to remove it.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

I completed a system restore, which seems to have eliminated the virus for now. I have a few issues during start-up that weren't present before, but I'm just glad to have control of my machine again.

If the virus resurfaces, I will simply wipe the system clean.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM

One of the most important aspects of this virus is its prevalence/reported instances. Essentially, the virus has to make itself known to be effective; it has to fool the user into handing over money.

Most traditional viruses hide in the background, sending spam, recording keystrokes, being used for DOS attacks/part of a botnet, redirecting searches, etc. Viruses of yesterday really had no interest in 'breaking' your machine so you couldn't use it; doing so was counterproductive to their goals of maintaining control.

Now, the computer place I used to work for saw this A LOT. It's probably been the No. 1 known-to-be virus related check in over the last year. However, that doesn't mean it's the most common virus, it means that because it's front and center and impossible to ignore that that's the ONLY time people are aware their machines have been compromised.

The problem is people get update notifications between Java, Flash, Windows, etc. that they ignore the warnings; they come so often they're just crying wolf. However, they really are important.

Anyway, no such thing as a foolproof antivirus. You have to take a proactive approach to security, stay up on updates and known what to do and what not to do. Computer and firearms share the same safety... the gray matter between your ears.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
I completed a system restore, which seems to have eliminated the virus for now. I have a few issues during start-up that weren't present before, but I'm just glad to have control of my machine again.

If the virus resurfaces, I will simply wipe the system clean.
Get caught up on Windows updates, Java, Flash, antivirus etc. while it's working.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quit going on pron sites! Go into safe mode and do a system restore. Your welcome.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM

Make a new user profile or sign into one on Safe mode with networking. Then change your proxy and search and delete all the exe. bad files if you know how to look for them. Go to start up menu and run all the files that were made on the date you got the virus and delete them all. Run a Anti Virus and you should be good to go. Worst case sernario do a system restore.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GunLover View Post
Make a new user profile or sign into one on Safe mode with networking. Then change your proxy and search and delete all the exe. bad files if you know how to look for them. Go to start up menu and run all the files that were made on the date you got the virus and delete them all. Run a Anti Virus and you should be good to go. Worst case sernario do a system restore.
Viruses can load any number of ways, not always an executable. A lot of them install as rootkits/have a rootkit component that alter the Windows API so you can't 'see' them. You have registry entries, DLLs, drivers (in some circumstances), infected/replaced system files/executables (in which case removing them breaks the machine), etc.

Deleting the executables is generally a poor idea; pretty much all of them have ways to bring exes back.
Old 02-20-2013, 1:25 AM

I am speaking from personal experiance with the FBI Virus, worked for me and many others as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Viruses can load any number of ways, not always an executable. A lot of them install as rootkits/have a rootkit component that alter the Windows API so you can't 'see' them. You have registry entries, DLLs, drivers (in some circumstances), infected/replaced system files/executables (in which case removing them breaks the machine), etc.

Deleting the executables is generally a poor idea; pretty much all of them have ways to bring exes back.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Amateurs......

Emsisoft (follow these instructions)

Combofix (run this too)

Malwarebytes (run this too)

Also you could follow these instructions.........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...453/fbi-virus/
I resent this "Amateur" comment!!! I have over 25 years experience in the industry, teach computer science, and consult on the side.

I have encountered this malware 3 or 4 times in last 18 months, the first time I followed the instructions on bleeping computer, running combofix, malwarebytes stealth mode, and others... Even Paul Thurrrotts instructions failed to remove completely. The issue is all looks good until reboot then... Nada! Why??? Because this is a polymorphic virus, it morphs (changes) to avoid detection with each new generation.

In the end I wasted more time than had I just backed up the user files and performed a clean install. The next infected machines that came to me were just backed up, formatted, and clean installs performed.

IMHO - There is no "easy fix" for this infection. It lets too many other infections in and is nearly impossible to completely get rid of "easily".
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 7:39 AM

i got this stupid thing wednesday night. cant a guy look at some titties in peace anymore?

the version i had woudlnt let my PC run in safemode with networking. soon as i tried it would auto shut down and restart in standard mode.

so i had to run safe mode from command and download emsisoft on another PC and transfer it to the infected PC with a memory stick. it was a royal PITA!

then i downloaded emsisoft on the infected PC and ran it again. then i did a restore from 2 weeks ago.

it seems to be gone now but im going to have the IT guy at work wipe it clean and reinstall windows just to be sure.

thanks to Monk and billofrights for their advice via PM. a couple of standup calgunners right there!

Old 02-25-2013, 2:01 PM

We see this thing a few times a week at my shop. I recommend you get it into a professional (not geeksquad) or risk some serious damage to your filesystem as it is usually accompanied by a Master Boot Record virus.. My shop is in Campbell and if you are close I give calguns discounts. Drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.