Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-12-2013, 5:20 PM

Default Winchester PDX1 Defender Ammo

I bought a box of it at Big 5 each shell contains 1oz rifled slug and 3 plated 00 buck pellets. What do you guys think of the load for hd/shtf? And have any of you guys shot it?
Old 02-12-2013, 7:17 PM

I'm sure its a good load. Only concern is the 1oz slug. I guess the 1oz slug can over penetrate the target.

Check out this video
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

I use PDX .223 in my AR very nice loads.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM

Ok good to know! I have some 00 buck also for HD but wanted to try an exotic load. Jeez that is insane that the slug could go threw the intended target i might just have to save the ammo for the riots or Zombies
Old 02-13-2013, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
Ok good to know! I have some 00 buck also for HD but wanted to try an exotic load. Jeez that is insane that the slug could go threw the intended target i might just have to save the ammo for the riots or Zombies
Just remember if its able to penetrate a bad guy, its able to penetrate through walls etc. Choose your load correctly (#4 buckshot, #1 buck, #0 buck, #00 buck) to determine what suites your situation of Home defense.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I'll stick with 00 buck.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i have high regard for Federal Premium-Personal Defense 2 3/4" 00 Buck with flite control wad, and i'm impressed with the extended effective range this load provides.

i haven't shot the Winchester PDX1 Defender, but for my limited range distance for HD i find it to be short of pellets with one slug too many.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I would go see some of the video reviews of this on youtube. While the whole concept of a modern buck-and-ball load is cool, it looks like the slug radically under-performs, and the buckshot over-performs. Meaning you don't have the massive penetration and deformation that you normally see with a foster-style slug like this at regular velocities. And the buckshot punches straight through with little loss of energy. Great for making little holes. Not so great for damaging tissue. I would look at something like the Centurion Multi-Defense Buck and Ball loading instead. I believe that it uses a round ball instead of a foster slug, which will give you better terminal performance at those velocities. And the both the ball and the 6 buckshot are lead, not copper plated, which means more deformation in the target, and more energy dumped into the target. Not to mention a more irregular path through the target, which enhances lethality. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be shot with either. But I would rather get as much nastiness as I can out of a HD load.

-Mb
Old 02-13-2013, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

some thoughts about the Winchester PDX1 12 Defender Ammo on "The Truth About Guns."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...defender-ammo/
Old 02-13-2013, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

I was watching shooting gallery the other day on the outdoor channel. The program was about penetration of differing weapons. They used 4 pieces of drywall set up like 2 walls with a space in between and a target on the other side of the 2 walls. If ya follow me.

They used everything from a .380 to a .460. The 00 3" loads from 7 yards went thru everything. Complete over penetration. The #7 shot went thru both walls and peppered the target. You hear alot of arguing about HD loads but if you live in an apartment, duplex or have children you really really need to be sure of what your background is. If you shoot an intruder but accidently kills your neighbors 2 children because of overpenetration YOU WILL go to prison. Or god forbid ya kill your own children. Making sure of your background and penetration is a must in a shoot no shoot siuation. It doesn't matter that 75% of the keyboard warriors say you should use 00 3" magnum loads.

George Orwell

Old 02-13-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yup they pattern pretty tight up to 15-20 yards. 7 yards all SG ammo paterns in a tight group. They had another show tonight. It was American Rifleman. Topic: Buck VS Birdshot. The hosts advice was birdshot inside and a slug anywhere 15 yards and out. Carry Cruiser ready with -1 round and if you feel you need a slug take 1 out of the side saddle and load it in the tube. If not rack the slide that will load the BirdShot.

He said the same thing I always say when these discussions come up. If you use 9 pellet buckshot and get 1 flyer or over penetration that kills your neighbor your F*****.

George Orwell

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Yeah other than my frount side of my property has semi steep hills or a brick walls surrounding it so I am good on 75% of my house. The frount side worries me though as I don't want to shoot 00 buck as it will go threw the walls and windows. I also don't want to use bird shoot for home defence.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

I run 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz #8 birdshot cruiser ready -1 round (meaning tube loaded -1 round, none in the chamber safety on) 4 00 buck 3" in the tube and have 00 3" magnum in the sidesaddle.

Then again I do live in an aparment with neighbors on 2 sides of me. I would really be afraid of using a slug in an apartment complex due to the extreme over penatration. Heck I would be afraid of using the 00 buck. I figure if he's still standing after a 7 yard shot in the face it will give me time to hit him with the 00. Which is totally last line of defense.

George Orwell

Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am interested in the CENTURION MULTI-DEFENSE BUCKSHOT.

Is the CENTURION MULTI-DEFENSE BUCKSHOT legal in California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
I would go see some of the video reviews of this on youtube. While the whole concept of a modern buck-and-ball load is cool, it looks like the slug radically under-performs, and the buckshot over-performs. Meaning you don't have the massive penetration and deformation that you normally see with a foster-style slug like this at regular velocities. And the buckshot punches straight through with little loss of energy. Great for making little holes. Not so great for damaging tissue. I would look at something like the Centurion Multi-Defense Buck and Ball loading instead. I believe that it uses a round ball instead of a foster slug, which will give you better terminal performance at those velocities. And the both the ball and the 6 buckshot are lead, not copper plated, which means more deformation in the target, and more energy dumped into the target. Not to mention a more irregular path through the target, which enhances lethality. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be shot with either. But I would rather get as much nastiness as I can out of a HD load.

-Mb
Old 02-20-2013, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

I love shooting the PDX bonded handgun ammo (expansion & penetration is awesome, especially with the .380 in my LCP)

I'd like to try out PDX1 12 defender, but I haven't been able to find it at a good price or in stock anywhere lately.
Old 02-20-2013, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Could always give the Duplex slugs a shot. Those babies are extremely bad A**.

http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/127...exolit-32.html

George Orwell