Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:07 PM
wildhawker's Avatar
wildhawker wildhawker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 14,407
iTrader: 84 / 100%
Default 20 U.S. states, Cato, others urge SCOTUS to decide SAF’s Kachalsky 2A carry case

Links and Alan Gura's cert petition at http://www.firearmspolicy.org/2013/0...ky-carry-case/

As part of a nationwide, multi-state, and multi-case effort to compel the government to respect the fundamental right to bear arms for self-defense protected under the Second Amendment, attorney Alan Gura in 2010 filed a civil rights lawsuit (Kachalsky, et al. v. Cacase, et. al.) in the federal New York Southern District court against a number of New York-based defendants, including NY judge Susan Cacace, for denying individuals’ applications for a license to carry a firearm. FPC member organization Second Amendment Foundation, who were also behind the hugely-important McDonald v. Chicago, Ezell v. Chicago, and Moore v. Madigan victories, are likewise a party to and backed the Kachalsky case.

Importantly, this case is the first to reach the U.S. Supreme Court and ask the Court to confirm that the right to bear arms must and does mean that all Americans who are not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms must not be denied a license to carry, and that the only “good cause” one needs is the existence of the right to self defense itself. Such an outcome would force all states and local governments, including local sheriffs, who issue such licenses to be de facto “shall-issue” and non-arbitrary. This case – and it’s sister cases like Richards v. Prieto out of California (currently pending a decision at the Ninth Circuit) – is a key program component for restoring the Constitution.

As linked to below, a number of briefs filed by amici curiae (“friends of the court”) urge the Supreme Court to take up the case and decide what the right to “bear arms” means – including 20 U.S. states. That one brief, alone, may be more than enough to convince the Court to hear attorney Gura’s arguments once again. However, a number of excellent briefs were filed by parties like NRA and other FPC member organizations. Each amicus brief is linked to below; for more on the case, read Alan Gura’s petition to the Supreme Court at the end of this post.

A snip of the excellent State of Virginia brief:

Quote:
The Commonwealth of Virginia, pursuant to Sup. Ct. R. 37(2)(a), and other States, file this Amicus Brief in support of the Petitioners’ petition for a writ of certiorari because N.Y. Penal Law § 400.00(2)(f), improperly trenches upon the Second Amendment.

The Amici have an interest in this Court holding that the self-defense interest animating the Second Amendment’s individual right to keep and bear arms applies broadly beyond the confines of an individual’s home and that no government may condition the exercise of this constitutional right on a ex ante showing of cause. Because this Court’s interpretation of the federal constitutional right will affect the constitutional rights of Amici States’ citizens with regard to the federal government and with regard to other States as they travel, the Amici States urge this Court to interpret the scope of the right and to apply a standard of review to its infringement that will recognize the inherent right of all citizens of the United States to “bear arms” and so lawfully and effectually protect themselves from unlawful violence.
__________________
Brandon Combs

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:13 PM
Ossa Ossa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 63
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This is really a breath of fresh air to all of us in the gun community. Thank you all for your efforts!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:18 PM
LoadedM333 LoadedM333 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mira Mesa
Posts: 816
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Thank you for you deligent work!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:18 PM
Ossa Ossa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 63
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Any idea of a timeline for this cert being heard if everything goes smoothly?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:44 PM
dunndeal's Avatar
dunndeal dunndeal is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,233
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossa View Post
Any idea of a timeline for this cert being heard if everything goes smoothly?
What else? Two Weeks
__________________
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:51 PM
highbrass highbrass is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 51
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The ruling in that case is really bad. It's just the court doing whatever it wants and calling it law. Gura said all the right things, because there really isn't much that needs to be said in a gun case. The court had its mind made up before Gura said a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:54 PM
Moonshine Moonshine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,053
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

They underestimate the power of Gura. They should have heard his reason and logic because now the SCOTUS will probably listen when that many states file amicus. FEAR Gura gun haters!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2013, 2:57 PM
njineermike's Avatar
njineermike njineermike is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 8,132
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrass View Post
The ruling in that case is really bad. It's just the court doing whatever it wants and calling it law. Gura said all the right things, because there really isn't much that needs to be said in a gun case. The court had its mind made up before Gura said a thing.
The court deciding the outcome before the case is heard in 2A cases is unfortunately, all too common.
__________________
NRA lifetime member
2AF Defender member

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2013, 3:28 PM
Kukuforguns's Avatar
Kukuforguns Kukuforguns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 544
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If you read just one, read the Virginia AG brief. If you read two, add the Academics brief. The NRA brief is good, but the Virginia brief rocks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2013, 3:29 PM
Kopis's Avatar
Kopis Kopis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 450
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossa View Post
Any idea of a timeline for this cert being heard if everything goes smoothly?
Gene Hoffman says the second half of 2014.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2013, 3:30 PM
wildhawker's Avatar
wildhawker wildhawker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 14,407
iTrader: 84 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
If you read just one, read the Virginia AG brief. If you read two, add the Academics brief. The NRA brief is good, but the Virginia brief rocks.
This.

-Brandon
__________________
Brandon Combs

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2013, 6:39 PM
hoffmang's Avatar
hoffmang hoffmang is offline
No, I am not a Moderator!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Peninsula, Bay Area
Posts: 18,493
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

The likely timeline is:

Cert grant (should we get it) in the first couple weeks of April and as late as the third week of April.

Oral argument in October or November.

Decision as early as January 2014 but almost certainly in the last week of June 2014.

-Gene
__________________
Gene Hoffman
Chairman, The Calguns Foundation

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2013, 6:54 PM
htjyang htjyang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2013, 6:58 PM
cpljbone's Avatar
cpljbone cpljbone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 56
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

What is the probably with a cert grant? Considering almost half of the states have urged the court to take the issue, I would think it would be a good one, however I'm no lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2013, 6:59 PM
Mottmcfly's Avatar
Mottmcfly Mottmcfly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 615
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:00 PM
truthseeker's Avatar
truthseeker truthseeker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Near Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,411
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Htjyang, who are you?

The reason I ask is you sound anti-gun and have a low post count.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:01 PM
OleCuss OleCuss is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 6,039
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
Hmm. . . Not sure I understand this.

I think that there will be no better time. We really want the Heller 5 to have a crack at this kind of case at the earliest possible moment. We should get good things from SCOTUS.

Not sure why there are fewer state amici, but I don't see that it matters a whole lot. There could be tons of reasons why there aren't more. And seriously, I think there are enough amici as it is.
__________________
CGN's token life-long teetotaling vegetarian. Not qualified to give any legal opinion so pay attention at your own risk.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:04 PM
htjyang htjyang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
Htjyang, who are you?

The reason I ask is you sound anti-gun and have a low post count.
Ah yes, judging me by 1 post out of nearly 200 is perfectly reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:08 PM
htjyang htjyang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I think that there will be no better time. We really want the Heller 5 to have a crack at this kind of case at the earliest possible moment. We should get good things from SCOTUS.
I hope you're wrong, because if there is no better time, we might as well disarm ourselves immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Not sure why there are fewer state amici, but I don't see that it matters a whole lot. There could be tons of reasons why there aren't more. And seriously, I think there are enough amici as it is.
We'll see. I think in what the Court is likely to regard as a social issue like this, the Court may be interested in finding out what national sentiment is really like. Whether they will notice the drop-off and what role that will play in their decision is unknown right now, but I doubt it means anything good.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:09 PM
Mottmcfly's Avatar
Mottmcfly Mottmcfly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 615
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
Ah yes, judging me by 1 post out of nearly 200 is perfectly reasonable.
Agreed, that was judgmental.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:20 PM
monk's Avatar
monk monk is offline
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,142
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
I hope you're wrong, because if there is no better time, we might as well disarm ourselves immediately.



We'll see. I think in what the Court is likely to regard as a social issue like this, the Court may be interested in finding out what national sentiment is really like. Whether they will notice the drop-off and what role that will play in their decision is unknown right now, but I doubt it means anything good.
I was always under the impression that, while probably not entirely true, SCOTUS isn't supposed to care one way or the other what the people want; so long as the law is supported by the constitution. I cite countless laws that have been struck down as proof.
__________________


NRA Member
SAF Member


Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:24 PM
Lost-trails's Avatar
Lost-trails Lost-trails is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange, CA.
Posts: 151
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I'm waiting for a decision in 2014. Thank you for the news.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2013, 7:31 PM
wildhawker's Avatar
wildhawker wildhawker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 14,407
iTrader: 84 / 100%
Default

All, the amici were supporting cert. This is not merits stage.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2013, 8:10 PM
OleCuss OleCuss is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 6,039
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
I hope you're wrong, because if there is no better time, we might as well disarm ourselves immediately.



We'll see. I think in what the Court is likely to regard as a social issue like this, the Court may be interested in finding out what national sentiment is really like. Whether they will notice the drop-off and what role that will play in their decision is unknown right now, but I doubt it means anything good.
Sorry, I don't think you are properly evaluating the matter.

Do you really think that there was a ground-swell of popular support leading to the Heller decision?

And the weird thing is that you seem to be thinking that the national sentiment is actually to kill off our RKBA? That doesn't seem to comport with the reality. And as time goes on Obama and his lackeys are actually losing support.

There is no good reason to believe that the Heller 5 are going to stomp on our rights in the Kachalsky case. I know there are folk who think they will - but I can find no reasonable evidence to support the pessimism.

You should really want Kachalsky to get cert. If it doesn't, there are several more cases which have a good shot at cert and getting us some freedom. And you should want this all to happen sooner rather than later.
__________________
CGN's token life-long teetotaling vegetarian. Not qualified to give any legal opinion so pay attention at your own risk.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2013, 8:43 PM
Manolito's Avatar
Manolito Manolito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milford California Pop. 72
Posts: 2,327
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I don't even understand most of what is said but I do know one thing for each day that passes the opportunity of appointing another justice increases.
The last thing I want is another Obama appointment.

Thank You to all that work so hard to protect my rites.

Respectfully,
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2013, 9:15 PM
wjc's Avatar
wjc wjc is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 10,626
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

nice!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!
__________________
Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2013, 9:19 PM
Ubermcoupe's Avatar
Ubermcoupe Ubermcoupe is offline
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798
Posts: 12,375
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
What is the probably with a cert grant? Considering almost half of the states have urged the court to take the issue, I would think it would be a good one, however I'm no lawyer.
Considering the the 7th C’s recent ruling and the 2nd C’s continued stance we have a circuit split. That alone should be enough to demonstrate the need for the SCOTUS to finally rule on the matter.

Cautiously optimistic...
__________________
Hauoli Makahiki Hou


-------
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 PM
stix213's Avatar
stix213 stix213 is offline
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Rafael
Posts: 16,515
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
In light of the Heller 5 still being on the court, and one heart attack away from Obummer replacing one with an anti-gunner, I'm pretty sure this is really a wise thing to do right now.
__________________
Support my Steam Greenlight campaign for Omega Reaction!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=618002901

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Gray Peterson's Avatar
Gray Peterson Gray Peterson is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,819
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
31 states in MERITS stage supported Heller. 38 states in MERITS stage supported McDonald.

This is not merits stage. This is asking for cert.

We do, however, know for certain that one state will not join an pro-gun amicus on right to carry: Colorado, due to him being intervenor in my case claiming that carry is a state sanctioned privilege, not a right.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-2013, 1:33 AM
Sputnik's Avatar
Sputnik Sputnik is offline
Shiny
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Bay
Posts: 898
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
You should really want Kachalsky to get cert. If it doesn't, there are several more cases which have a good shot at cert and getting us some freedom. And you should want this all to happen sooner rather than later.
I think sooner would be far more preferable to later but I'd grudgingly accept later as long as we do get back whats ours (our freedom).
Gura in '14
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-13-2013, 5:50 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alameda County
Posts: 6,153
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
The likely timeline is:

Cert grant (should we get it) in the first couple weeks of April and as late as the third week of April.

Oral argument in October or November.

Decision as early as January 2014 but almost certainly in the last week of June 2014.

-Gene
If it looks like the end of June (again!), CGN should plan for extra special celebration on the 4th of July. (Assuming Obama doesn't get another anti on SCOTUS.)
__________________
KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-13-2013, 6:00 AM
Sir Stunna Lot's Avatar
Sir Stunna Lot Sir Stunna Lot is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I hope these cases also have provisions to prevent "restrictions" similar to the ones we face in Cali.

Even if the ruling favors us, and all elligile people can now carry, it still will do us no good if states/cities put up absurd restriction. I can already imagine NY state dishing out CCW but with restrictions such as no guns where signs prohibits it, and watch EVERY place has no gun signs...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-13-2013, 6:59 AM
socal2310 socal2310 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Camarillo, CA (Ventura County)
Posts: 808
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I don't even understand most of what is said but I do know one thing for each day that passes the opportunity of appointing another justice increases.
The last thing I want is another Obama appointment.

Thank You to all that work so hard to protect my rites.

Respectfully,
Bill
Nah, they're working on your rights, your rites are already protected .
__________________
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen

Last edited by socal2310; 02-13-2013 at 7:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-13-2013, 7:13 AM
speedrrracer speedrrracer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,401
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

For the education of the rest of us, does the # / caliber / political makeup / whatever of amici have any practical effect?

Is there any evidence to suggest SCOTUS notices / cares, or is it generally believed they do by those in the know?

Thanks for the update, good luck to us all!
__________________

Last edited by speedrrracer; 02-13-2013 at 7:45 AM.. Reason: Gray pointed out my OCR flaw ;)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-13-2013, 7:22 AM
Gray Peterson's Avatar
Gray Peterson Gray Peterson is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,819
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
I hope these cases also have provisions to prevent "restrictions" similar to the ones we face in Cali.

Even if the ruling favors us, and all elligile people can now carry, it still will do us no good if states/cities put up absurd restriction. I can already imagine NY state dishing out CCW but with restrictions such as no guns where signs prohibits it, and watch EVERY place has no gun signs...
Bearing arms in it's pure form cannot be treated the same as, shall we say, erotic materiel (see Moore v. Madigan's reference to Lawrence). I can't really say further because I don't want to give a leg up to any of the sheriff who may attempt stupidity, but I do not believe this is as much a worry as you think it is, insofar as the written TPM restrictions on the CA carry licenses.

To be fair, though, a few shall-issue states requires carry license holders to honor signs, even the State of Texas (though Texas requires it in certain typeface, certain sizes, in both English & Spanish to be effective against a CHL holder without a trespass warning). It would be better to litigate that issue in Texas versus New York (better judges).

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-13-2013 at 7:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2013, 7:27 AM
Gray Peterson's Avatar
Gray Peterson Gray Peterson is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,819
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
For the education of the rest of us, does the # / caliber / political makeup / whatever of amici have any practical effect?

Is there any evidence to suggest SCOTUS notices / cares, or is it generally believed they do by those in the know?

Oh, last question -- I notice the ACLU on the list of amici...I thought they were anti-gun...are they asking SCOTUS to take the case, but hoping SCOTUS will slap us down, or?

Thanks for the update, good luck to us all!
American Civil Rights Union, not ACLU.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2013, 8:08 AM
chris's Avatar
chris chris is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Texas for now
Posts: 16,945
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
In light of the Heller 5 still being on the court, and one heart attack away from Obummer replacing one with an anti-gunner, I'm pretty sure this is really a wise thing to do right now.
Yes this is the best time to do it. If we waste this opportunity we won't get it again.
__________________
http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-13-2013, 9:50 AM
Kukuforguns's Avatar
Kukuforguns Kukuforguns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 544
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
For the education of the rest of us, does the # / caliber / political makeup / whatever of amici have any practical effect?

Is there any evidence to suggest SCOTUS notices / cares, or is it generally believed they do by those in the know?

Thanks for the update, good luck to us all!
It is generally believed that the amount of attention the S. Ct. pays to an issue does vary based upon who is asking the Court to pay attention. For example, if the Department of Justice asks the Court to review an issue, there is some consensus that the Court is more likely to review. The request of 20 states' attorney generals to review Kachalsky is a good thing.

Will the Court take Kachalsy? I'll tell you in a year, my crystal ball's reception is kinda flaky at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
1BigPea's Avatar
1BigPea 1BigPea is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 1,107
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I sure hope it gets to SCOTUS this year for the sake of Heller 5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
vonderplatz's Avatar
vonderplatz vonderplatz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 1,251
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I pray for the Heller 5 everyday.
__________________
There's no such thing as a former Marine. - General James F. Amos, 35th Commandant of the Marine Corps

Romans 1:16 - 32

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:44 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.