Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-12-2013, 2:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default 20 U.S. states, Cato, others urge SCOTUS to decide SAF’s Kachalsky 2A carry case

Links and Alan Gura's cert petition at http://www.firearmspolicy.org/2013/0...ky-carry-case/

As part of a nationwide, multi-state, and multi-case effort to compel the government to respect the fundamental right to bear arms for self-defense protected under the Second Amendment, attorney Alan Gura in 2010 filed a civil rights lawsuit (Kachalsky, et al. v. Cacase, et. al.) in the federal New York Southern District court against a number of New York-based defendants, including NY judge Susan Cacace, for denying individuals’ applications for a license to carry a firearm. FPC member organization Second Amendment Foundation, who were also behind the hugely-important McDonald v. Chicago, Ezell v. Chicago, and Moore v. Madigan victories, are likewise a party to and backed the Kachalsky case.

Importantly, this case is the first to reach the U.S. Supreme Court and ask the Court to confirm that the right to bear arms must and does mean that all Americans who are not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms must not be denied a license to carry, and that the only “good cause” one needs is the existence of the right to self defense itself. Such an outcome would force all states and local governments, including local sheriffs, who issue such licenses to be de facto “shall-issue” and non-arbitrary. This case – and it’s sister cases like Richards v. Prieto out of California (currently pending a decision at the Ninth Circuit) – is a key program component for restoring the Constitution.

As linked to below, a number of briefs filed by amici curiae (“friends of the court”) urge the Supreme Court to take up the case and decide what the right to “bear arms” means – including 20 U.S. states. That one brief, alone, may be more than enough to convince the Court to hear attorney Gura’s arguments once again. However, a number of excellent briefs were filed by parties like NRA and other FPC member organizations. Each amicus brief is linked to below; for more on the case, read Alan Gura’s petition to the Supreme Court at the end of this post.

A snip of the excellent State of Virginia brief:

Quote:
The Commonwealth of Virginia, pursuant to Sup. Ct. R. 37(2)(a), and other States, file this Amicus Brief in support of the Petitioners’ petition for a writ of certiorari because N.Y. Penal Law § 400.00(2)(f), improperly trenches upon the Second Amendment.

The Amici have an interest in this Court holding that the self-defense interest animating the Second Amendment’s individual right to keep and bear arms applies broadly beyond the confines of an individual’s home and that no government may condition the exercise of this constitutional right on a ex ante showing of cause. Because this Court’s interpretation of the federal constitutional right will affect the constitutional rights of Amici States’ citizens with regard to the federal government and with regard to other States as they travel, the Amici States urge this Court to interpret the scope of the right and to apply a standard of review to its infringement that will recognize the inherent right of all citizens of the United States to “bear arms” and so lawfully and effectually protect themselves from unlawful violence.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-12-2013, 2:13 PM

This is really a breath of fresh air to all of us in the gun community. Thank you all for your efforts!
Old 02-12-2013, 2:18 PM

Thank you for you deligent work!
Old 02-12-2013, 2:18 PM

Any idea of a timeline for this cert being heard if everything goes smoothly?
Old 02-12-2013, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossa View Post
What else? Two Weeks

George Orwell
Old 02-12-2013, 2:51 PM

The ruling in that case is really bad. It's just the court doing whatever it wants and calling it law. Gura said all the right things, because there really isn't much that needs to be said in a gun case. The court had its mind made up before Gura said a thing.
Old 02-12-2013, 2:54 PM

They underestimate the power of Gura. They should have heard his reason and logic because now the SCOTUS will probably listen when that many states file amicus. FEAR Gura gun haters!
Old 02-12-2013, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrass View Post
The ruling in that case is really bad. It's just the court doing whatever it wants and calling it law. Gura said all the right things, because there really isn't much that needs to be said in a gun case. The court had its mind made up before Gura said a thing.
The court deciding the outcome before the case is heard in 2A cases is unfortunately, all too common.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 02-12-2013, 3:28 PM

If you read just one, read the Virginia AG brief. If you read two, add the Academics brief. The NRA brief is good, but the Virginia brief rocks.
Old 02-12-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossa View Post
Gene Hoffman says the second half of 2014.
Old 02-12-2013, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
If you read just one, read the Virginia AG brief. If you read two, add the Academics brief. The NRA brief is good, but the Virginia brief rocks.
This.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:39 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

The likely timeline is:

Cert grant (should we get it) in the first couple weeks of April and as late as the third week of April.

Oral argument in October or November.

Decision as early as January 2014 but almost certainly in the last week of June 2014.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-12-2013, 6:54 PM

In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:58 PM

What is the probably with a cert grant? Considering almost half of the states have urged the court to take the issue, I would think it would be a good one, however I'm no lawyer.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:59 PM

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:00 PM

Htjyang, who are you?

The reason I ask is you sound anti-gun and have a low post count.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjyang View Post
In light of the current political environment, I'm not sure this is really a wise thing to do right now. Also note the drop-off of state amici. 31 states supported Heller. Now the number is down to 20.
Hmm. . . Not sure I understand this.

I think that there will be no better time. We really want the Heller 5 to have a crack at this kind of case at the earliest possible moment. We should get good things from SCOTUS.

Not sure why there are fewer state amici, but I don't see that it matters a whole lot. There could be tons of reasons why there aren't more. And seriously, I think there are enough amici as it is.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
Htjyang, who are you?

The reason I ask is you sound anti-gun and have a low post count.
Ah yes, judging me by 1 post out of nearly 200 is perfectly reasonable.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I think that there will be no better time. We really want the Heller 5 to have a crack at this kind of case at the earliest possible moment. We should get good things from SCOTUS.
I hope you're wrong, because if there is no better time, we might as well disarm ourselves immediately.

Quote:
Not sure why there are fewer state amici, but I don't see that it matters a whole lot. There could be tons of reasons why there aren't more. And seriously, I think there are enough amici as it is.
We'll see. I think in what the Court is likely to regard as a social issue like this, the Court may be interested in finding out what national sentiment is really like. Whether they will notice the drop-off and what role that will play in their decision is unknown right now, but I doubt it means anything good.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, judging me by 1 post out of nearly 200 is perfectly reasonable.
Agreed, that was judgmental.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I hope you're wrong, because if there is no better time, we might as well disarm ourselves immediately.

We'll see. I think in what the Court is likely to regard as a social issue like this, the Court may be interested in finding out what national sentiment is really like. Whether they will notice the drop-off and what role that will play in their decision is unknown right now, but I doubt it means anything good.
I was always under the impression that, while probably not entirely true, SCOTUS isn't supposed to care one way or the other what the people want; so long as the law is supported by the constitution. I cite countless laws that have been struck down as proof.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:24 PM

I'm waiting for a decision in 2014. Thank you for the news.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All, the amici were supporting cert. This is not merits stage.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Sorry, I don't think you are properly evaluating the matter.

Do you really think that there was a ground-swell of popular support leading to the Heller decision?

And the weird thing is that you seem to be thinking that the national sentiment is actually to kill off our RKBA? That doesn't seem to comport with the reality. And as time goes on Obama and his lackeys are actually losing support.

There is no good reason to believe that the Heller 5 are going to stomp on our rights in the Kachalsky case. I know there are folk who think they will - but I can find no reasonable evidence to support the pessimism.

You should really want Kachalsky to get cert. If it doesn't, there are several more cases which have a good shot at cert and getting us some freedom. And you should want this all to happen sooner rather than later.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:43 PM

I don't even understand most of what is said but I do know one thing for each day that passes the opportunity of appointing another justice increases.
The last thing I want is another Obama appointment.

Thank You to all that work so hard to protect my rites.

Respectfully,
Bill
Old 02-12-2013, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

nice!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 02-12-2013, 9:19 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
What is the probably with a cert grant? Considering almost half of the states have urged the court to take the issue, I would think it would be a good one, however I'm no lawyer.
Considering the the 7th C’s recent ruling and the 2nd C’s continued stance we have a circuit split. That alone should be enough to demonstrate the need for the SCOTUS to finally rule on the matter.

Cautiously optimistic...

-------
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
In light of the Heller 5 still being on the court, and one heart attack away from Obummer replacing one with an anti-gunner, I'm pretty sure this is really a wise thing to do right now.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
31 states in MERITS stage supported Heller. 38 states in MERITS stage supported McDonald.

This is not merits stage. This is asking for cert.

We do, however, know for certain that one state will not join an pro-gun amicus on right to carry: Colorado, due to him being intervenor in my case claiming that carry is a state sanctioned privilege, not a right.
Old 02-13-2013, 1:33 AM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You should really want Kachalsky to get cert. If it doesn't, there are several more cases which have a good shot at cert and getting us some freedom. And you should want this all to happen sooner rather than later.
I think sooner would be far more preferable to later but I'd grudgingly accept later as long as we do get back whats ours (our freedom).
Gura in '14
Old 02-13-2013, 5:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
The likely timeline is:

Cert grant (should we get it) in the first couple weeks of April and as late as the third week of April.

Oral argument in October or November.

Decision as early as January 2014 but almost certainly in the last week of June 2014.

-Gene
If it looks like the end of June (again!), CGN should plan for extra special celebration on the 4th of July. (Assuming Obama doesn't get another anti on SCOTUS.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Old 02-13-2013, 6:00 AM

I hope these cases also have provisions to prevent "restrictions" similar to the ones we face in Cali.

Even if the ruling favors us, and all elligile people can now carry, it still will do us no good if states/cities put up absurd restriction. I can already imagine NY state dishing out CCW but with restrictions such as no guns where signs prohibits it, and watch EVERY place has no gun signs...
Old 02-13-2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I don't even understand most of what is said but I do know one thing for each day that passes the opportunity of appointing another justice increases.
The last thing I want is another Obama appointment.

Thank You to all that work so hard to protect my rites.

Respectfully,
Bill
Nah, they're working on your rights, your rites are already protected .
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen

Last edited by socal2310; 02-13-2013 at 7:13 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 7:13 AM

For the education of the rest of us, does the # / caliber / political makeup / whatever of amici have any practical effect?

Is there any evidence to suggest SCOTUS notices / cares, or is it generally believed they do by those in the know?

Thanks for the update, good luck to us all!

Last edited by speedrrracer; 02-13-2013 at 7:45 AM.. Reason: Gray pointed out my OCR flaw ;)
Old 02-13-2013, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
I hope these cases also have provisions to prevent "restrictions" similar to the ones we face in Cali.

Even if the ruling favors us, and all elligile people can now carry, it still will do us no good if states/cities put up absurd restriction. I can already imagine NY state dishing out CCW but with restrictions such as no guns where signs prohibits it, and watch EVERY place has no gun signs...
Bearing arms in it's pure form cannot be treated the same as, shall we say, erotic materiel (see Moore v. Madigan's reference to Lawrence). I can't really say further because I don't want to give a leg up to any of the sheriff who may attempt stupidity, but I do not believe this is as much a worry as you think it is, insofar as the written TPM restrictions on the CA carry licenses.

To be fair, though, a few shall-issue states requires carry license holders to honor signs, even the State of Texas (though Texas requires it in certain typeface, certain sizes, in both English & Spanish to be effective against a CHL holder without a trespass warning). It would be better to litigate that issue in Texas versus New York (better judges).

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-13-2013 at 7:27 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
For the education of the rest of us, does the # / caliber / political makeup / whatever of amici have any practical effect?

Is there any evidence to suggest SCOTUS notices / cares, or is it generally believed they do by those in the know?

Oh, last question -- I notice the ACLU on the list of amici...I thought they were anti-gun...are they asking SCOTUS to take the case, but hoping SCOTUS will slap us down, or?

American Civil Rights Union, not ACLU.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
In light of the Heller 5 still being on the court, and one heart attack away from Obummer replacing one with an anti-gunner, I'm pretty sure this is really a wise thing to do right now.
Yes this is the best time to do it. If we waste this opportunity we won't get it again.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post

It is generally believed that the amount of attention the S. Ct. pays to an issue does vary based upon who is asking the Court to pay attention. For example, if the Department of Justice asks the Court to review an issue, there is some consensus that the Court is more likely to review. The request of 20 states' attorney generals to review Kachalsky is a good thing.

Will the Court take Kachalsy? I'll tell you in a year, my crystal ball's reception is kinda flaky at the moment.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM

I sure hope it gets to SCOTUS this year for the sake of Heller 5.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM

I pray for the Heller 5 everyday.

Romans 1:16 - 32