Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-12-2013, 2:06 PM

Default Shooting on BLM land in/around Mojave

Has anyone here shot on BLM land in the Mojave, more specifically the San Bernardino area? I wouldn't mind making a trip out there from Riverside if I can shoot up to 500+ yards without issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2013, 9:16 PM

Arrow

Contact BLM. For about $25, they will mark up a set of their maps showing where you can shoot on BLM land. San Bndo County planning also has a map of shooting areas, but I would not rely on that map, the BLM is better for BLM lands.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM

Try Johnson Valley, just stay away from the camping areas and watch the off roaders.
I have never been kicked out by the BLM Rangers there, they just stop by and see if you are cool and let you know to police your brass and targets before you leave.
Old 02-13-2013, 1:32 AM

Click on the link in my signature line for the shooting map. All shooting regulations in unincorporated areas of the county are set by county ordnance, not BLM.
If you contact the Barstow BLM office, they will just refer you to the county shooting map in my link.

Old 02-13-2013, 8:28 AM

Awesome, thanks for the tips. The map will definitely help out.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Ok, so while we are on the BLM shooting area, I have been shooting on a plot of BLM land in southern Riverside County (Elsinore area) for a few years. I had a buddy at work just tell me that some RCSO Lieutenant poked his nose in there and decided that he was gonna close it to shooting. I don't excatly know how he is gonna do that but I thought since it was not an unincorperated area and my BLM map overlay shows that I'm in BLM land, I was good. Can anyone draw me a picture?
Old 02-15-2013, 2:12 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
Try Johnson Valley, just stay away from the camping areas and watch the off roaders.
I have never been kicked out by the BLM Rangers there, they just stop by and see if you are cool and let you know to police your brass and targets before you leave.
Look at the map, shotgun only buddy. So when a popo cites you don't get mad and wonder why.
Old 02-15-2013, 6:48 AM

I go out to calico when I want to do some shooting. Lots of area out there. No one bothers you either.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
I go out to calico when I want to do some shooting. Lots of area out there. No one bothers you either.
How far past the ghost town do you typically shoot?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman18 View Post
Ok, so while we are on the BLM shooting area, I have been shooting on a plot of BLM land in southern Riverside County (Elsinore area) for a few years. I had a buddy at work just tell me that some RCSO Lieutenant poked his nose in there and decided that he was gonna close it to shooting. I don't excatly know how he is gonna do that but I thought since it was not an unincorperated area and my BLM map overlay shows that I'm in BLM land, I was good. Can anyone draw me a picture?
The BLM doesn't make the shooting regulations in California. It's up to each county and city to make shooting regulations, not the feds. Check the Riverside Co. shooting ordnance for regs. on unincorporated areas like Natl Forest and BLM.

Old 02-16-2013, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
The BLM doesn't make the shooting regulations in California. It's up to each county and city to make shooting regulations, not the feds. Check the Riverside Co. shooting ordnance for regs. on unincorporated areas like Natl Forest and BLM.
We are within the county and city rules regarding shooting distances from roads and houses, we are shooting on BLM land not private property. We are well within the regulations so how is it that some guy can just prohibit shooting on public land without creating new regulations? I think this cop is over steping his bounds and acting way outside his pay grade.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Man Cave must have!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=752047
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman18 View Post
We are within the county and city rules regarding shooting distances from roads and houses, we are shooting on BLM land not private property. We are well within the regulations so how is it that some guy can just prohibit shooting on public land without creating new regulations? I think this cop is over steping his bounds and acting way outside his pay grade.
That's why in our county we provide a shooting map, so there is never a question with law enforcement like sheriff, wardens, BLM rangers, forest rangers, etc.
I know Riverside county doesn't have a up to date map, but you should be able to print out the county ordnance that explains boundaries and such.

Old 02-16-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
That's why in our county we provide a shooting map, so there is never a question with law enforcement like sheriff, wardens, BLM rangers, forest rangers, etc.
I know Riverside county doesn't have a up to date map, but you should be able to print out the county ordnance that explains boundaries and such.
I have a BLM overlay that shows the boundries but if this jack wagon cop decides to give us the boot anyway I guess I'll just have to comply and then drive right to their shop and file a complaint. I'm just worried that i'll show up to put rounds down range and be met with the fuzz ready to take my toys. These guys down here (RCSO) don't give a crap even with other LEO's. Maybe it might be worth a trip to their house and see what they think before I go out there again.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Man Cave must have!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=752047
Old 03-20-2013, 2:03 PM

Near Mojave you say.......How about near Ridgecrest. Here's my little spot on BLM territory right off the 395. Forget ranges. BLM land is the only way to properly go shooting.

Old 03-20-2013, 2:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

If your coming from Riverside and want to shoot 500+ yds, just join the 29 Palms range. It goes out past 500 and you get a shade spot and toilets all for $50 a year.
Old 04-01-2013, 6:54 PM

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf

Im working on a trip out this way. I called the BLM and this map is up to-date. Stoddard Mountain Rd, San Bernardino, California. I have never been out this way. if any one would have more info that would be grate.
Old 04-04-2013, 8:46 AM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Funny you should mention Stoddard Mtn Rd. A bit over a year a go I was headed to Vegas and had my 9 and a .22 with me. I pulled of at Stoddard Mtn Rd since it looked so desolate, crossed the overpass and drove about a mile and half out into the desert and spent about an hout plinking off 9s into some targets. I couldn't remember the name of the road until I read your post just now.

"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Wether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015
Old 04-07-2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Grinder View Post
Near Mojave you say.......How about near Ridgecrest. Here's my little spot on BLM territory right off the 395. Forget ranges. BLM land is the only way to properly go shooting.

Now that's the kind of place I could shoot at for hours. Looks very nice and away from everything.