Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Default How to start hunting.

I have recently been bitten with the urge to try hunting, either boar or deer. I don't know much about it, where to go, or how to go about actually going into the wild and going lord of the flies on a Boar.

Are there any resources out there for me, or anyone wanting to take a Santa Cruz area Nubian out for a lesson?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You can start here:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/hunting.html
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 PM
In Memoriam

do you have a good rifle? if not I have one for sale.
Old 09-26-2007, 5:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Start by studying your potential quarry.

Find out where they live, where they travel, where they feed and other natrual behaviors. Learn thier anatomy, where must you hit the animal to produce a quick, clean and efficent kill.

Figure out what you are going to do once you take an animal. Are you going to have it taxadermied, processed for meat, let it lay, what? Make sure you know where to go and what to do once you have taken the animal.

Learn your equipment.

Shoot your rifle/bow whatever you plan on hunting with. Shoot ALOT! Shoot from "field" positions, off of sticks, off of a backpack, off of a rock, offhand, prone, so on. You want 99.9% accuracy and consistency in your shooting. If you can only make consistent, accurate hits at 50 yards or 100 yards or 500 yards, thats the range you need to stick with. DO NOT just pick up any old rifle and go hunt, find YOUR rifle, practice with it and learn how to quickly kill your game. DO NOT take shots that are outside of your ability, you will end up wounding an animal or flinging lead out into space only to come down SOMEWHERE potentionally injuring or killing someone.

Basically, practice, practice, practice. Scout, prepare, scout some more. Go where the animals are, and your hunt will be productive.
Old 09-26-2007, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I will be looking into planning a private pig hunt on Tejon Ranch beginning in February 2008. I need a minimum of 21 hunters to get a discounted rate of $450 per hunter. I make NO MONEY on this, just a discounted rate for myself. We are given a specific area on teh ranch to hunt. thir are camp sites and NO maximums. Buy the tag and you can kill it.

Hopefully I can put it together. It should be a great experience for new hunters to learn and experienced hunters to share their knowledge.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM

How big are the pigs? i may have to see what my benelli can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
I will be looking into planning a private pig hunt on Tejon Ranch beginning in February 2008. I need a minimum of 21 hunters to get a discounted rate of $450 per hunter. I make NO MONEY on this, just a discounted rate for myself. We are given a specific area on teh ranch to hunt. thir are camp sites and NO maximums. Buy the tag and you can kill it.

Hopefully I can put it together. It should be a great experience for new hunters to learn and experienced hunters to share their knowledge.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Im new to hunting also and Im up for a hunt if any one will lend a teaching hand or slap in the back of the head for a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhjäger View Post
I have recently been bitten with the urge to try hunting, either boar or deer. I don't know much about it, where to go, or how to go about actually going into the wild and going lord of the flies on a Boar.

Are there any resources out there for me, or anyone wanting to take a Santa Cruz area Nubian out for a lesson?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:

I may be interested, that is if I get my finaces figured out by then
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I'm definetely interested.
Old 09-26-2007, 1:20 PM

Definitely interested too.
Old 09-26-2007, 1:27 PM

Count me in for the pig hunt. Man I can taste those ribs already!
Old 09-26-2007, 1:30 PM

kuhjäger- What part of the state are you in?
Old 09-26-2007, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Tag...........
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 PM

Well, first off you'll need to take a hunter safety class which costs about $30; after that you'll be issued a hunter safety certificate and then you'll be able o get a hunting license, which costs around $45 unless you're a juvenille, then it's $9. You'll also need a tag for the game you're hunting.

After this, you're pretty much set except for equipment. You'll need a goof rifle, some quality expanding ammo, and I also suggest a good pair of hiking boots and some blaze orange clothing. For the rifle, most any bolt gun, levergun or single shot would work. A semi-auto would work well too I suppose. After that, buy a bunch of different brands of hunting ammo for it and hit the range, try and find what it likes. Once you've got that out of the way, go buy a pair of good boots and a safety vest. You might also want to add a survival kit in the event you get lost.

This is my first year for hunting as well, so I'm pretty much parroting what I heard in my hunter safety course as well as what my Dad has said.

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
Benelli Supernova
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:

This sounds like a great plan. If you get it organized you should advertise it on the board!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This sounds like a great plan. If you get it organized you should advertise it on the board!
I will advertise it here, on THR & TFL
Old 09-27-2007, 6:41 AM

I'd like to hear from one satisfied Tejon Ranch hunter - and especially someone who's shot a pig there in the last three months.
Old 09-27-2007, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
and especially someone who's shot a pig there in the last three months.
You won't becaus for the last 3 months they've been closed to pig hunting.
Old 09-27-2007, 8:02 AM

find something and shoot it
Old 09-27-2007, 9:19 AM

Default Tejon Pigs

Here are some photos of Pigs taken on the ranch.
Kevin
http://www.hunttejon.com/Wild%20Pigs.htm
Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Im not one to PAY to hunt, it takes the fun out of it FOR ME. Canned, fenced, or guided hunts just arent all that great IMO, especially for HOGS! Hogs are a non-native, destructive species and most any landowner would be happy to have someone come out and cull the hogs from thier property. That being said, for some folks, a guided hunt is the only way for them to get into hunting. A guide will supply just about everything you need and (most time) will basically stick an animal in front of you so that all you need to do is pull the trigger. If all you want to do is kill something, a canned, fenced or guided hunt is the ticket. If you want to LEARN how to hunt, then you must put in the work, take the time and do it right (my opinion).
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM

The ranch is 270,000 acres. I dont think I would call aything on it "canned"
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

I was wondering who the first person to tell me that this was not a canned, guided or fenced hunt would be. Funny, I got hit twice in the same minute.
Allow me to clarify:
While this hunt may not be canned, guided or fenced, I personally do not enjoy canned, guided or fenced hunts. They may be for some folks, but they are not for me. There are cheaper, better and more enjoyable ways to learn the skills needed to hunt (MY OPINION).
Ive been informed that this hunt is niether canned, guided, or fenced, While I think that is great, that you must go out and find animals on your own , it leaves me to wonder what the $450 fee is for? If it is merely a land access fee, I wouldnt pay it, theres plenty of free access land around, go find it.