Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-11-2013, 4:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question .22 short or long in a Marlin 60?

I have a new Marlin 60 and I'm not surprisingly running out of .22lr ammo for it.

Getting additional ammo is a PITA.

Here is what the owner's manual says about shooting other cartridges out of it:

"WARNING: Your rifle is a self-loading .22 caliber designed for .22 Long Rifle High Velocity cartridges only (not Hyper-Velocity). Shorts, Longs, and Shot cartridges can be loaded and fired, but Marlin does not recommend them, as feeding wil not be reliable and damage or injury may result from their use."

Notwithstanding the foregoing WARNING, has anyone here shot SHORT or LONG .22 caliber out of their 60/795 to any great degree?

If so, would appreciate your comments concerning your experience/history with use of either or both of those cartridges in your firearm.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2013, 4:40 PM

I have shot cci cb longs and Remington cebee out of my 795 and also in my girlfriends 60. The shorter cci's would feed from the mag but had to be loaded one at a time. The Remington's cebee are same length as a .22lr and feed all ten fine from the 795 mag. Both cci and Remington's would not cycle the action.

In the model 60 everything feed fine from the tube but again you have to cycle the action yourself.

.22 shorts should work fine in your marlins but they might not have enough power to cycle it fully. They might cause your gun to short cycle and cause FTF and fte. The cb rounds don't have enough power to even move the bolt.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out in your gun.
Old 02-11-2013, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annex138 View Post
I have shot cci cb longs and Remington cebee out of my 795 and also in my girlfriends 60. The shorter cci's would feed from the mag but had to be loaded one at a time. The Remington's cebee are same length as a .22lr and feed all ten fine from the 795 mag. Both cci and Remington's would not cycle the action.

In the model 60 everything feed fine from the tube but again you have to cycle the action yourself.

.22 shorts should work fine in your marlins but they might not have enough power to cycle it fully. They might cause your gun to short cycle and cause FTF and fte. The cb rounds don't have enough power to even move the bolt.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out in your gun.
I've heard enough as your post was very helpful. Thank you!

I will just have to wait to get more .22lr, and will not bother with the shorts or longs. I thought that SG Ammo had shorts, but when I clicked on ordering they noted it was out of stock!
Old 02-11-2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifilef View Post
I've heard enough as your post was very helpful. Thank you!

I will just have to wait to get more .22lr, and will not bother with the shorts or longs. I thought that SG Ammo had shorts, but when I clicked on ordering they noted it was out of stock!
That is probably my fault. Last week I bought .22 shorts from them to shoot in my S&W Model 63 and Ruger Single Six revolvers until .22lr becomes available again.