Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-11-2013, 4:07 PM

Default Introduce me to the .22 Mag

I own a Ruger single six in .22LR and comes with a .22 Mag cylinder. I have had this gun for a very long time and I have never shot any .22 Mag through it.

How is the preformance of .22 mag different from .22 LR. Is there a particular brand of .22mag that works better in the Ruger single six than other brands. Should I even bother with .22 mag (this gun is used for target practice and plinking).

more importantly, anyone know where I can buy any .22 mag, with all the ammo shortage it appears that .22 mag is sold out everywhere.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

to me the crap i shoot doesnt look any different shooting it with magnum or long rifle

i saw some magnum dynapoint at walmart for like $9 a box no long rifle to be seen for weeks
Old 02-11-2013, 4:11 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have the same gun and bought some 22mag just to try it out. It was fun, but too pricy just for plinking. If you were hunting small animals, I guess it might make sense, but I don't really do any hunting these days.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

22mag is more of a hunting round than a plinking round although I can't think of anything off hand that I'd want to hunt with it that a 22LR can't handle but I'm sure somebody here knows of a few things. I guess it would be a better defensive cartridge but not something I'd want to rely on.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-11-2013, 4:21 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
22mag is more of a hunting round than a plinking round although I can't think of anything off hand that I'd want to hunt with it that a 22LR can't handle but I'm sure somebody here knows of a few things. I guess it would be a better defensive cartridge but not something I'd want to rely on.
Maybe a defensive round in a micro compact like the NAA. Better than a handful of quarters I guess.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

You should buy a box when things return to normal just for the experience but it's no big deal. It will give you more recoil and it's fun to shoot but probably not fun enough to justify the cost once you get past the novelty.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:44 PM

a couple of people on 'swamp people' Tv show carry .22 magnum's they seemed very happy with how well they killed gators.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:28 PM

.22 mag is supposedly more reliable (I haven't shot enough of it myself to know). It definitely lets you reach out further. Some things I've read here and there say the ballistics actually perform similar to the FN 5.7 but I've never dug around to verify. You can get legitimate jacketed and HP rounds (not copper-wash like .22LR). I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself with it, Ruger just came out with the LCR chambered for it and I'm very interested in picking it up once it hits the roster.

EDIT: just used my google-foo, the .22wmr ballistics from a RIFLE are comparable to 5.7 from a pistol. Apparently handgun velocities from the .22wmr can range from 1200-1400. I'd be curious to see what it can do when the load is optimized for a shorter barrel.
I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!

Last edited by TheDeej; 02-11-2013 at 7:36 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

My Single Six shot needed sights adjusted when I switched cylinders.22 Mag made more noise.Was not impressed with 22 mag in any of the 3 handguns I shot it in.

The real difference shows in a rifle length barrel.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Wal mart

I have the Ruger 77/22 mag and the Single Six, Walmart in Buena Park had a lot of 22 CCI @ 13.00 $ I bought 1 box . I think I sould have some for the rifle pistol combo. 22 mag has more power, My friend has a 17 HMR ,150 yard rifle.
Old 02-12-2013, 1:08 AM

Speer Gold Dots and Hornady personal defense are now in 22WMR. Supposedly made specifically for short barrel revolvers. But as other said, 22WMR out of a rifle is the bees knees. Far more satisfying and flat shooting than a 22LR.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM

I had fun shooting .22 mag out of my Single Six, but at a cost nearly equal to pre-panic 9mm prices it's just not worth it for punching paper targets or aluminum cans. I'd definitely recommend picking up a box at one point just to see what's it about, but unless you are going to hunt with it, I'd stick to .22lr
Old 02-12-2013, 1:10 PM

Another option is to shoot .22 WRF through your .22 mag cylinder. They seem to fall somewhere between the LR and the magnum, and in my experience a little less expensive than the magnums.