Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Question Aimpoint with magnifier

CGers, I would like some input

I currently am using an aimpoint knockoff on my AR but want to pull the trigger on a real one. Have any of you guys used the Comp C3 with a flip over magnifier? Im wanting to get the 2moa dot model and use the magnifier for longer range shooting. Im curious if this works well, if there are any problems/issues with the setup? Just generally what would be the recommendations. I'm not an EoTech fan btw so don't try to sell me on them :P
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

I wear glasses and use the Aimpoint Pro without issue, I do not plan on using a magninfier.

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM

i too, wear glasses...i dont necissarily want the magnifier for 100 yd stuff...but maybe out to 200-300. though it would be nice to maybe sorta see my holes in the target at 100 :P
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM

my buddy uses a magnifier on his aimpoint m3 and he loves it. he also has the 3x long rye relief on another rifle with the same aimpoint and that setup is the shizz.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Nice. Ive been reading the difference between the C3 and M3 is minimal and ultimately the C3 is a tad cheaper so I'll end up with that one most likely. I was mainly concerned with optical clarity and any parallaxing/focus issues with the flip over
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

I've used it and like it a lot, in theory. I have an astigmatism however, and when I magnify an aimpoint led created dot, it tends to make it into a smear.
I'm certainly not trying to sell you on eotech with this next statement, however with my eye's, when I magnify a laser generated eotech reticle, it does not distort.

Another thing you have to be aware of is the mounts. If you are going larue flip to side mount for the magnifier, it is set at an AR lower 1/3rd cowitness. Your red dot needs to have a lower 1/3 cowitness mount for them to line up correctly. Aimpoint factory mounts that I am familiar with like the QRP II are set for an absolute cowitness, so would need to be changed to lower 1/3rd.

Hope this helps some. If there is anyway for you to look through a magnified aimpoint first before purchasing I would recommend that.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Try before you buy. At the very least, try to find a buddy with the setup and look through it first. I only say this because from my experience, the dot looks like a blobby mess under magnification.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM

I use a Comp2 and was thinking about a magnifier as well. I decided to get a completely separate Nikon 3X9X40 scope for around $160 and swap them out as needed. The scope mount I have looks like it has another mount on top that I could theoretically attach the Aimpoint to but it might start to look a tad ridiculous..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM

A co-worker of mine has a very old Comp M2 set up with a Vortex 3x magnifier. They work well together. I expected to see a giant blob with the mag flipped over, but it simply was not the case.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post

Another thing you have to be aware of is the mounts. If you are going larue flip to side mount for the magnifier, it is set at an AR lower 1/3rd cowitness. Your red dot needs to have a lower 1/3 cowitness mount for them to line up correctly. Aimpoint factory mounts that I am familiar with like the QRP II are set for an absolute cowitness, so would need to be changed to lower 1/3rd.
hmm...so right now i have a canti mount for my knockoff that nicely cowitnesses with my front sight on the mp15. Do you know if the flip over will work with the canti mount? I was just planning on recycling the mount i have right now for the real aimpoint. Or i could get a second canti mount and just take it on and off when i need to. that should keep everything lined up, yes?

as for clarity...my knockoff is probably a 5ish moa dot thats fuzzy to begin with so a high quality 2moa should be clearer than that with magnification i would think.

I just don't have anybody that i know that is running a setup like this so I may have to go into my LGS and have them toss an aimpoint/magnifier on an ar to have me look through it.

Doc

Ask me about Project Appleseed!

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass - Shooters Prayer
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Only issue with that set up IMO is they get a lil heavy.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your current mount on the knockoff is an absolute cowitness mount. That being the case, if you are going to recycle it, you need to get a magnifier mount of the same height. The magnifier & red dot will still work together even if they are at different mount heights, but it definately wont be optimal and you will have dark edges etc.

Personally, if it were me, I would get a new mount with the aimpoint.
I would order the 3x magnifier with a Larue flip to side mount, aimpoint red dot of your choosing, and the matching larue mount for the aimpoint. You'll have a totally solid set up that lines up perfectly, stays in place on your rail, and returns to zero when removed.

Also check out the aimpoint pro model. It's a pretty good deal.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I've used it and like it a lot, in theory. I have an astigmatism however, and when I magnify an aimpoint led created dot, it tends to make it into a smear.
I'm certainly not trying to sell you on eotech with this next statement, however with my eye's, when I magnify a laser generated eotech reticle, it does not distort.

Hope this helps some. If there is anyway for you to look through a magnified aimpoint first before purchasing I would recommend that.
Quote:
Sounds like your current mount on the knockoff is an absolute cowitness mount. That being the case, if you are going to recycle it, you need to get a magnifier mount of the same height. The magnifier & red dot will still work together even if they are at different mount heights, but it definately wont be optimal and you will have dark edges etc.

Personally, if it were me, I would get a new mount with the aimpoint.
I would order the 3x magnifier with a Larue flip to side mount, aimpoint red dot of your choosing, and the matching larue mount for the aimpoint. You'll have a totally solid set up that lines up perfectly, stays in place on your rail, and returns to zero when removed.

Also check out the aimpoint pro model. It's a pretty good deal.
thank you for this! I'll definitely start looking into how much that all will cost me, etc. Any other opinions/thoughts are totally welcome! Keep em coming!

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass - Shooters Prayer
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is your current mount setup for lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness?? I think LaRue makes flip-to-side mounts for both, just depends on your red dot mount.

Added: This magnifier(LT755) mount will properly align with the following LaRue mounts … LT150, LT129, LT110 (mounted behind, not piggyback), and LT659.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM

I have a t1 2 moa and aimpoint 3x magnifier. It's a solid setup. If your in Losangeles, I frequent Angeles range often and you could always take a look for yourself.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Is your current mount setup for lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness?? I think LaRue makes flip-to-side mounts for both, just depends on your red dot mount.

Added: This magnifier(LT755) mount will properly align with the following LaRue mounts … LT150, LT129, LT110 (mounted behind, not piggyback), and LT659.
Its absolute co-witness...Fixed front sight MagPul BUIS rear...dot sits center of aimpoint.

Doc

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRangerDoc View Post
thank you for this! I'll definitely start looking into how much that all will cost me, etc. Any other opinions/thoughts are totally welcome! Keep em coming!
Sure thing. There are a lot of ways to go. Just remember to get both mounts the same height and you should be fine. It's a pretty weighty setup together, but you can always remove the magnifier if you don't need it.

Now, here's another thought/opinion. Bust out your credit card and hold on, but check out an Elcan Spectre DR. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but you asked. haha 1x or 4x with the throw of a lever.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Sure thing. There are a lot of ways to go. Just remember to get both mounts the same height and you should be fine. It's a pretty weighty setup together, but you can always remove the magnifier if you don't need it.

Now, here's another thought/opinion. Bust out your credit card and hold on, but check out an Elcan Spectre DR. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but you asked. haha 1x or 4x with the throw of a lever.

wow thats sexy...my wife would kill me if I bought that! :P

Old 02-11-2013, 1:07 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Have you thought about a Trijicon TR24 1-4X variable scope?
Old 02-11-2013, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Have you thought about a Trijicon TR24 1-4X variable scope?
Hmm...no i hadn't looked at that one...interesting. Have you personally used it?

Old 02-11-2013, 1:14 PM

I have one AR set up with Aimpoint Comp M4s/Larue DQ mount and the Aimpoint 3x magnifier/Larue QD flip mount. Absolute co-witness with Magpul BUIS. The optic clarity is great and the 3x helps to reach out a little farther.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRangerDoc View Post
Hmm...no i hadn't looked at that one...interesting. Have you personally used it?
Yeah, man, had one for a while in classes and 3-gun. Excellent, all-around optic. Very fast on 1X and you can still dial up to 4X for mid-range shots. The only negative is that if you're ever shooting from a dark area into a brightly-lit one, the reticule will darken. This is the same issue with ACOGs since they are both fiber-optic powered.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:21 PM

if your not to concern with weight it's pretty much bomb proof set up. I ditch the twist mount to get up nice and snug to my cantilever m3 and the magnifier just clears the magpul backup sight plus I went for the raptor ambi charging handle just to make things ez...

Old 02-11-2013, 3:45 PM

Oh thats nice! I like that set up a lot! very effective!