Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 6:36 PM

Default New to the site and gun world. Need some advice/opinions

I'm getting ready to buy my first handgun. I'm torn between the Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig Sauer P226 and Beretta 92FS. I'm going to go shoot them all in the next week or two, but I would really like to hear everyone's opinion to help me put. Oh and this is going to be for home defense as well as taking it to the range.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:35 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Well, I think you have 4 good choices there and I would suggest shooting all 4 before you buy if you can. I have a G19 and G22 which would be close the the 17. They both feel a little different but. Can shoot them both well. I also think the Glocks are a much simpler pistol to shoot and maintain. I'm not a real big fan of the double/single action triggers on the Sig & Beretta.

Again, shoot them ALL and see what works for you. Try the SR9' M&P and XD if you can also.

Scott
Old 02-10-2013, 7:36 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

BTW, where are you located?
Old 02-10-2013, 7:56 PM

Thanks Scott I appreciate it!! I'm located in Santa Clarita. Again thank you for your input.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH2h View Post
I'm getting ready to buy my first handgun. I'm torn between the Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig Sauer P226 and Beretta 92FS. I'm going to go shoot them all in the next week or two, but I would really like to hear everyone's opinion to help me put. Oh and this is going to be for home defense as well as taking it to the range.
you won't find the 19 anywhere in socal and the 17 is in a few places. i've shot the 17 and 19 and looking to buy the 19, but after looking for a couple of weeks, i'm taking a break from the looking as nobody has a 19. there is a 19c in irwindale, but that's not for me.

have you shot anything yet?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

don't forget to try the CZ75!!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to the board.

As others have said each of the four pistols you mentioned are fine firearms, and can each get the job done effectively. What it all comes down to is personal preference and well you're able to shoot each gun.

Some people love GLOCKs, and other hate them. The same can be said with Sig, Beretta, Ruger, H&K, ... The most important thing is shot placement, so by the gun that helps you place the shot the best.

Oh, and don't listen to Scott he has no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited by RoundEye; 02-24-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM

+1 for glocks, just started shooting myself. check out Glock 22 with lone wolf 9mm barrel swap. you get 2 guns for one
Old 02-19-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely try before you buy. I am not a fan of the grip on the 92fs. Glock and Springfield XD are good first guns. My personal preference is XD. Both are simple to clean and use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 02-20-2013, 8:51 PM

I suggest considering a Glock 26. Before you say "It's too small," do some research on Pearce Grips and other mag extension products (there are several, and no, they do not increase magazine capacity so totally legal).

I was in the market for a G19 as my first pistol. I found a used one at Martin B. Retting in Culver City, and being a total dumbass and not realizing the current Glock drought, I didn't buy it because I was trying to decide between it and a used M&P 9 via private party.

Well, I ended up not liking the M&P once I checked it out, so I went back to Retting and guess what, SURPRISE! - The Glock was long gone after only two days.

Well, long story short, after doing a ton of research, I decided on a brand spankin new Glock 26, which they have in stock (at least they did...).

Now I just need to find some ammo! If anyone has any tips, please lemme know!!!

Not trying to sell you on it, just open your mind to the possibility. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 9:11 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Native View Post
Now I just need to find some ammo! If anyone has any tips, please lemme know!!!
It seems like you're on the west side. I'd try LAX Firing Range for ammo. It won't be the cheapest, but they'll have it.
Old 02-20-2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
It seems like you're on the west side. I'd try LAX Firing Range for ammo. It won't be the cheapest, but they'll have it.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus throughout the forum. I work near there, so I'll swing by this week.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Start with which one fits good in your hand, I love SIG's, but the Glock just fits better, and as such, I shoot better with it
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Im in Santa Clarita as well. Near Saugus High.

If you ever want to go shooting let me know. I have a good diverse collection that you can get your hands on to try if you want.

Welcome!

JOe

Last edited by Kingofthehill; 02-24-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Since you're asking opinions I agree with Exodus.
CZ 75 > than any of what you just suggested. I suggest you do some more research on the CZ before making any purchases.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=591642

I'm in the same boat as you right now, but I've already chosen the CZ SP-01 for my first centerfire handgun. If you don't shoot a CZ before buying one of the others you're making a mistake. You'll probably shoot better with the CZ than anything else you're considering. Low bore axis compared to Sigs, tight slide frame lockup compared to Berettas, comfortable ergonomics compared to Glocks, a heavy steel frame to absorb recoil, and it even has higher standard capacity magazines than any of what you're looking at, 19 round factory mags for free states.

The CZ is your best bet if you want a steel frame 9mm handgun. Glocks and other polymer guns are great for their undeniable reliability. Forget Sigs, to much $ for the gun if you ask me, you can buy a factory tuned CZ with a great trigger for less then you can get a stock Sig. If you're thinking about a Beretta shoot an INOX to see if you like it more then the 92FS, I've heard good things about the INOX model that Beretta fixed with the design, CZs are still a better all around choice compared to the Beretta though.

Last edited by BlueDog333; 03-16-2013 at 12:50 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Hey there!

You and I are in the same boat. My research thus far pretty much echoes everything that's been suggested in here, though I've pretty much settled on trying to find what are probably some of the more difficult firearms to get your hands on right now, the G19 or CZ75 (ideally, the PCR, though I'd be happy with the P-01). That being said, that's what I've settled on for centerfire...

I'm surprised that no one's suggested any .22LR handguns. I know that you've said that you've settled on one of the 9mms, but I feel with it's worth mentioning at least. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would add the G34 and springfield XD to that list. But if fit, feel and accuracy are right, any gun will do the job.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM

Please let us know your opinions about what you shoot for test shooting OP.
PM sent.