Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 03-25-2018, 3:50 PM

Default Are CZs ammo-finicky?

Howdy,

I've been working with my new CZ Compact. I'm right around 400 rounds fired using three different brands of ammunition; PCM Bronze and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ, and American Eagle 115gr TSJ.

Last weekend I experienced both a hang fire, and a misfire, with the Blazer Brass. Switching over to the AE TSJ I experienced two misfeeds, and sparks escaping from the ejection port.

CZ has authorized a return for Warranty Inspection and has provided for free return shipping with an estimated 44-6 week turnaround. (edit: 4-6 week turnaround)

Prior to the Blazer and American Eagle, I had been shooting the PCM Bronze (with no problems) so I decided to try another 50 rounds. No problems, at all.

I'm a new shooter and am paying close attention to my grip technique so I'm pretty sure it isn't a case of limp wrist affecting the action.

So... I'm wondering now if I should go ahead and return the pistol for inspection. And are CZs in general, picky about what is fed to them?

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by Lmo; 03-26-2018 at 8:11 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 4:08 PM

I have 3 - SP-01, old 75 and a RAMI. All 9mm. They eat like fat chicks....not picky at all.

Maybe take it apart, clean thoroughly and re-assemble with light oil. My SP-01 likes to run with a touch of grease on the slide grooves/channels.
Old 03-25-2018, 4:12 PM

I own a 75BD and so far have fed it Sig 135g - 124g NATO - 147g HST - various bulk junk by Winchester/Federal and MaxxTech to the tune of over 400 rds and no problems.

ETA: It seems to like the MaxxTech for some reason I can get good shots.

Last edited by M60A1Rise; 03-25-2018 at 4:14 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 4:16 PM

My SP01, P07, and P01 have never been picky with ammo and eat about anything I feed them. Even reloads from freedommmuitions
Old 03-25-2018, 4:42 PM

My P-01 doesn't like magtech for some reason. During my CCW class, I had quite a few hang ups. I can't remember if it was failure to eject, or if it was double feeding. When I switched to AE the problem went away. If you do send it in, I'd like to know what they do to it.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

My 75B has fed and shot any ammo I put in it. One of my few guns with a high round count because of this. Also like to teach first time shooters with it. Don't have to show them how to clear malfunctions.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb View Post
I have 3 - SP-01, old 75 and a RAMI. All 9mm. They eat like fat chicks....not picky at all.

I have a SP-01 and a P-01, same results as this
Old 03-26-2018, 6:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I contacted CZ on the phone this morning and gave them the information about the extra 50 rounds of PCM. They'd like to take a look at it now that I've brought it to their attention, which, from their liability point of view, makes sense; from a peace of mind point of view (mine) it does too.

They also mentioned that they test a lot of different ammunition on a constant basis and don't recognize any particular brand as being more, or less, troublesome.

I'm struggling with the short(er) sight radius on the Compact and hate the idea of not shooting for a month or more, but so be it.

I just installed a set of LOK Palm Swell Bogie grips and it feels like the gun was custom molded for my hand.

Last edited by Lmo; 03-26-2018 at 8:12 AM..
Old 04-20-2018, 1:50 PM

My CZ 75 jams frequently with Winchester White Ammo but has no problems with anything else that I have tried.