Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM

Default CMP entitlement

boy there's going to be lots of sniveling about this-

To all CMP customers:

Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The new limit of eight M1 Garands goes into effect immediately and any customer who has purchased over eight will not be allowed to purchase more M1 Garands until 1 Jan., 2017. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year.
Old 09-20-2016, 1:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I still think 8 per year is too many. I remember the one per lifetime.

Old 09-20-2016, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
I still think 8 per year is too many. I remember the one per lifetime.
I remember the one in a lifetime too. I still have mine. It cost me $185 and took close to a year to get.

I currently have more than one and I'm still mulling over getting another before they go bye bye.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 09-20-2016, 1:09 PM

Eight a year is still plenty for collectors. Not enough for flippers.
Old 09-20-2016, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming service grade, I wish I have $5600 to dump into guns every year...
Old 09-20-2016, 1:25 PM

8 per year is just fine with me. Hopefully it will stretch out the supply a little longer.
Old 09-20-2016, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthesby View Post
Eight a year is still plenty for collectors. Not enough for flippers.
I guess people do flip them but it's beyond me why they want to. I consider it disrespectful and sacrilegious. There is nothing like holding that piece of history in your hands and sending a few rounds downrange. This is the rifle that beat the Emperor of Japan and the Wehrmacht. It liberated concentration camps and held the Soviets at bay at Checkpoint Charlie. It garners a lot of respect when you break it out at the range and anybody who has ever fired mine asks how they can get one.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 09-20-2016, 1:33 PM

8 is alot, I bought 10 in 2013 just to heighten my chances of getting a nice one. The rest I sold on this forum for about 700. I did get what I want and I am glad i did it when I did, as it appears there is not that many GI stocks left.
Old 09-20-2016, 1:49 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Eight Garands per year is a generous allotment, more than enough for any collector / enthusiast. It allows plenty of room for collectors to buy several and keep the best, and sell the rest.

The OP is right though, there will be sniveling. To the snivelers I say this: If eight Garands per year from the CMP is inadequate to support your unlicensed middleman Garand flipping business, perhaps you should consider doing something legitimate for a living instead.
Old 09-20-2016, 2:12 PM

I still have my '' one per lifetime'' M1. Cost a whopping $94.30 +administrative fees. Total out the door price was $121.96. Personally, I think they should go back to that program and make it harder to get like it was for us back then. Waited almost 18 months from paper work submission to actually having it in my posession.
Jon
Old 09-20-2016, 2:17 PM

I also got one for $121.96 and it was a very nice pre war made in June 41. After I could purchase more a collector paid a lot for it. I only have one and may get another one before they are gone.
Old 09-20-2016, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

It should be 2 or 3 per year... Most just get up sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 09-20-2016, 2:57 PM

Hard as I try, I cannot understand all the hate for so called Garand "flippers". If it gets another historical rifle in "appreciative" public hands, who cares how it got there.
Old 09-20-2016, 3:42 PM

8 is still too many.
Old 09-20-2016, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

8 per year is still way more than most would buy anyway, I don't think this is any huge deal.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 09-20-2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
Hard as I try, I cannot understand all the hate for so called Garand "flippers". If it gets another historical rifle in "appreciative" public hands, who cares how it got there.
By that logic the CMP should just raise the price to align with the market. I think there's even a CMP one on here going for like 1500 right now.

Also if that is the goal of the person selling it than 8 would still be plenty, and will help stretch the supply for people who aren't just out to make a quick buck.
Old 09-20-2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
That's exactly the number I was thinking about. I mean even at three per year, in three years you could have a nice collection of nine rifles, or keep the three best and sell the rest. Unless, of course, you're looking to be a bottlenose dolphin . . .

Old 09-20-2016, 4:46 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
true, but I'd rather CMP get them all sold off before someone gets a chance to pass a new bill sending them all to Capt'n Crunch.

hell, just this year, Sen. McCain got his amendment added to the Senate version of the 2017 NDAA that would grind up any M1 Carbines, 1903s, 1917s, or 1911s instead on sending them to CMP. luckily it still hasn't been reconsiled with the house version yet, but our Garands are always at risk of a law changed to get them ground up.

I'd rather CMP sell them all for a decent price today and flood the market and put the proceeds into the endowment instead of doling them out onsey-twosey to try to get max $$$ and risk losing the inventory to an anti-gun bill.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-20-2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
true, but I'd rather CMP get them all sold off before someone gets a chance to pass a new bill sending them all to Capt'n Crunch.
hell, just this year, Sen. McCain got his amendment added to the Senate version of the 2017 NDAA that would grind up any M1 Carbines, 1903s, 1917s, or 1911s instead on sending them to CMP. luckily it still hasn't been reconsiled with the house version yet, but our Garands are always at risk of a law changed to get them ground up.

I'd rather CMP sell them all for a decent price today and flood the market and put the proceeds into the endowment instead of doling them out onsey-twosey to try to get max $$$ and risk losing the inventory to an anti-gun bill.
Precisely what I had in mind when I said:

"If it gets another historical rifle in "appreciative" public hands, who cares how it got there. "
Old 09-20-2016, 4:56 PM

But again if that is your intention than why mark up the weapon to almost double what you paid?
Old 09-20-2016, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't worry the flippers will just have friends and family buy for them as well.
Old 09-20-2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef9boy88 View Post
But again if that is your intention than why mark up the weapon to almost double what you paid?
Well,,, without a lot of mental laboring, two good reasons come to mind;

1. If someone is willing to pay that much for one, I'll take it! I don't know anyone who has too much money-including me!

2. If I get double the CMP price, I can turn around and buy TWO from the CMP, thus getting two more M1's into the public domain, AND putting more $$$ into the CMP programs.

See the CMP's mission isn't to put some "precious, sacred" rifle into your hands forever more. Their mission is to encourage and advance CIVILIAN MARKSMANSHIP. And they do a lot more than just sell surplus rifles. So every rifle bought puts another out of politicians' harms way, and funds their youth marksmanship programs.......
Old 09-20-2016, 7:24 PM

Okay, you guys have convinced me. Besides, I got nothing against dolphins, I was just looking for an opportunity to post the photo of the vintage lunch pail. Yeah, I'll go with unlimited. What the heck, I've got my SA and HR collector grade rifles and a beautiful late 5.9 million SA correct grade.
Old 09-20-2016, 7:56 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
There is no hate. It is just rather odious that some people with deep pockets insert themselves into a middleman position where one is neither needed or wanted. The rifles are more likely to end up in "appreciative public hands" if they can be acquired at the low CMP price rather than through some opportunistic flipper who buys them with the specific intent of reselling them at a huge margin. It violates the intent of the FFL03 license to conduct business with it.
Old 09-20-2016, 8:01 PM

They have 800,000+ remaining... i think 8 each is OK.

California, Stop Oppressing my 2nd Amendment right, stop being so intolerant of my freedom. -DM
Old 09-20-2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
It's the CMP, not Garand Depot. Part of their mission is to put these in the hands of civilian shooters. I think it should be less than 8. I remember seeing pictures of people making several trips to the store and stacking their pickup beds over the top with spam cans. Got spam?
Cheers
Old 09-20-2016, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Munro View Post
I thought CMP said they are running low?
Old 09-20-2016, 8:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
There is no hate. It is just rather odious that some people with deep pockets insert themselves into a middleman position where one is neither needed or wanted. The rifles are more likely to end up in "appreciative public hands" if they can be acquired at the low CMP price rather than through some opportunistic flipper who buys them with the specific intent of reselling them at a huge margin. It violates the intent of the FFL03 license to conduct business with it.
Or what is even worse, buys them to part them out just to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Watch come Wednesday. It's going to be a landslide. Forget the polls, look at the census data, trump screwed up. Tell you what though if trump had made peace with woman and hispancis he could have pulled this off. But he kept at em. Just couldn't shut up.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-20-2016, 8:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And never mind that when you sign the order form, you are certifying that "and that I am purchasing this rifle for my (or my junior shooter’s) personal use."

But then again, to some people, their word means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Watch come Wednesday. It's going to be a landslide. Forget the polls, look at the census data, trump screwed up. Tell you what though if trump had made peace with woman and hispancis he could have pulled this off. But he kept at em. Just couldn't shut up.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-20-2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I completely agree.
Old 09-20-2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
And never mind that when you sign the order form, you are certifying that "and that I am purchasing this rifle for my (or my junior shooter’s) personal use."

But then again, to some people, their word means nothing.
People don't read, they just sign, and figure they can claim they don't know what you're talking about later
Old 09-20-2016, 8:56 PM

Well thing is at CMP prices I can afford one, when some scum bag sells it for almost 2 garand it starts being out of reach.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Well thing is at CMP prices I can afford one, when some scum bag sells it for almost 2 garand it starts being out of reach.
Yep. Flippers always justify it in their heads.
Old 09-21-2016, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Just buy from the CMP then. Nobody is forcing you to buy from a private seller. Its called a free market economy. Dont like the price? Dont pay it.

For example, when I have to buy gas I go to the station that has the cheapest gas. I dont have to pay more just because somebody is offering gas for more. I can choose to pay less if there is a cheaper option.

I see tons of Garands on gunbroker for way more than a service grade. I just laugh as I fill out my order form to send in to the CMP. I doubt many of those rifles are actually selling at those prices.

And the gunshows, ha, ha, ha...

Last edited by lightcav; 09-21-2016 at 8:45 AM..
Old 09-21-2016, 6:39 AM
klaatu barada nikto!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I haven't heard that number before? The talk over on the CMP board is the end is near.
Plus the rumors of empty CMP warehouses.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 09-21-2016, 6:45 AM

I agree with Bobby and SVT..I think a 3 per year limit is reasonable. Too many people making a living flipping these.
Old 09-21-2016, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Just buy from the CMP then. Nobody is forcing you to buy from a private seller. Its called a free market economy. Dont like the price? Dont pay it.

For example, when I have to buy gas I go to the station that has the cheapest gas. I dont have to pay more just because somebody is offering gas for more. I can choose to pay less if there is a cheaper option.

I see tons of Garands on gunbroker for way more then a service grade. I just laugh as I fill out my order form to send in to the CMP. I doubt many of those rifles are actually selling at those prices.

And the gunshows, ha, ha, ha...
Oh, we all know why folks don't order from CMP and look for one in the open market, lack of patience and/or the need to examine one up close before buying. I fully understand those conditions. I, too, suffer from them on occasion. However, I have learned over the years that you will PAY to fulfill those two conditions. Yes, CMP can take quite awhile to ship the rifle and there can be quite a variance within the Service Grade range. I took care of the problem by developing patience and purchasing two or three rifles over time and selling those that did not meet my expectations, leaving me with a few nice Garands. Yep, in life, you must pay for convenience, that's why "convenience markets" always charge more.
Old 09-21-2016, 8:45 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I thought CMP said they are running low?
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
I haven't heard that number before? The talk over on the CMP board is the end is near.
Plus the rumors of empty CMP warehouses.
I'm flying out to the CMP next month for the Advanced Maintenance Class...I'll report back on current stock!!

As for the new 8/year limit...sounds pretty reasonable to me. Though, as Ke6guj said, I'd hate to see them get ground up because they were still sitting in a warehouse when some crazy new law passed.

I wonder if the the CMP could streamline the buying process a bit to increase sales to NEW folks, instead of lots of sales to repeat customers??
Old 09-21-2016, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
I'm flying out to the CMP next month for the Advanced Maintenance Class...I'll report back on current stock!!

As for the new 8/year limit...sounds pretty reasonable to me. Though, as Ke6guj said, I'd hate to see them get ground up because they were still sitting in a warehouse when some crazy new law passed.

I wonder if the the CMP could streamline the buying process a bit to increase sales to NEW folks, instead of lots of sales to repeat customers??
Now there's an idea!
Old 09-21-2016, 2:59 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Oh my , this is just too rich.
A pile of cali gun owners sitting around whining about what some strangers may or may not be doing with their property and how much of said property they should be able to have without it being considered too much.
Oh dear , I'd say more ................ but no doubt the point would be lost.
But you're right , to hell with a free market ..... maybe the govt should step in and do something after all it's working out well for all you.
May your chains set lightly upon you... and all that other non-sense.
Geeze.........................
Maybe the cali state govt is right and you guys don't need all those guns they don't want you to have........................