Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Black Powder blunderbuss

I recently finished a Traditions smooth bore 54 cal blunderbuss kit Build and had some questions for you guys that traditions cant seem to answer. I want to shoot clays at close range and I am looking for solid and safe load data.

Traditions recommends between 50 to 80 grains of 3f powder for conical, ball, and shot loads. 3F seems to fine a granulation for such a large bore. All I can assume is that smooth bores don't generate us much pressure as a rifled bore. Also traditions recommends a 1 to 1 load. Meaning filling the powder measure with shot. IE 70p-70s. Traditions recommends using #4,5,or 6 shot . I would like to use 7.5 or 8 for my clay experiment. I contacted traditions and was told they are not sure why I couldn't use the smaller shot but recommend I follow the manual. :/

The powders I have on hand are triple 7 3f and goex 2f. With a ball I'm not so worried. I can use either. I just have to reduce the triple 7 load by 15%. But shooting shot gets more tricky. I plan to use and over powder wad and an overshot wad. I,m just wondering if anyone has done the field work already?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I shoot 60gr-70gr 3F Goex out of the Howdah 20ga with shot or buckshot. That is a 61cal bore.

Because the barrel is short (11" in my case), you probably want the faster burning 3F.

That is a nice looking kit and I am interested in building one. You did a nice job on it! Did you like the quality of the kit, did you have any trouble with it?

I recently got turned off of BP kits when I picked up a basket case Pepperbox, and the receiver had many issues including hammer and trigger pin holes not drilled perfectly perpendicular, which jammed everything, and threaded holes and accompanying screws not matched, and more. I got it all sorted out after some work but I will be more cautious to kit reputation in the future.

Thanks,

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 12-26-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 12-26-2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I shoot 60gr-70gr 3F Goex out of the Howdah 20ga with shot or buckshot. That is a 61cal bore.

Because the barrel is short (11" in my case), you probably want the faster burning 3F.

That is a nice looking kit and I am interested in building one. You did a nice job on it! Did you like the quality of the kit, did you have any trouble with it?

I recently got turned off of BP kits when I picked up a basket case Pepperbox, and the receiver had many issues including hammer and trigger pin holes not drilled perfectly perpendicular, which jammed everything, and threaded holes and accompanying screws not matched, and more. I got it all sorted out after some work but I will be more cautious to kit reputation in the future.

Thanks,
No problems with the kit except for one. There was some wood shaping and inletting as expected. The problem came with the barrel hold down screw. I needed to machine the brass bushing to fit a low OD washer to remove some barrel float. I could have also cut the screw shorter and ran a die down it. Other than that it was an easy and fun build. My dad built another of their kits. The Kentucky rifle. He had to take some time filing the dove tails for the sights but with no other issues. Overall these kits are easy to the mechanically inclined. And from what I have learned the more time you spend on fit and finish the better they look.
Old 12-26-2017, 6:51 PM

A link to where a purchased this kit.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifle...ercussion.html
Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

Thanks,
How much shot do you use?