Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I'm looking for a .22LR bolt rifle

I like the Ruger 77-22. Nice bolt; 10 round rotary mag; with an MSRP in my price range. Thing is, they're scarce like so many other guns.

I'm looking for an accurate, plinker/target/field gun -- reliable bolt action 22LR with a bbl in the 18 to 20 inch range. Conventional stock (no tactical types.)

I figure I'd like to mount an ultradot 25mm 1X sight on it. (I'd prefer their 30mm -- but rings might be an issue.)

Any ideas might fit the bill that's presently available in occupied California.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Wondering why would even Rimfire rifles are scarce now
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I had a Savage .17HMR bolt action that was very nice, and I'd assume their .22lr versions would be as well, especially with the new accu trigger.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 PM

'Presently available' is the problem. I'd say no.
I think there's probably something in the CZ line that would fit your needs. (Not sure about the scope though.) I've been looking for a CZ 455fs and the gun shops I've called more or less laugh - there's nada.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM

CZ .22lr bolt actions are great. The only thing i noticed about the rifle is some rusting that needs to be attended to with fine steel wool. It is confined to the front sight and barrel tip where the sight attaches to. It's minor but shouldn't be overlooked. This is even in a safe with a dehumidifier. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Just put a cz 455 in jail yesterday, was shocked when they said the had one in stock and rushed down there. Can't wait to take it to the range
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A CZ455 American is a great super accurate bolt action rifle but it would be a waste to mounts a red dot on a rifle that accurate. I'd put at least Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire (~$140) or a RV9 3-9x32 rimfire (~$229). If you must have a red dot I'd either go with a semiautomatic rifle or a Savage MKII bolt action. the CZ would be wasted on the red dot.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-09-2013, 1:17 AM
Veteran Member

If you're in Southern Cal, Turner's just put Marlin XT-22s on sale for $179.98. It comes with a 7rd mag, but 10rd mags are also available.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Old 02-09-2013, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewreck View Post
If you're in Southern Cal, Turner's just put Marlin XT-22s on sale for $179.98. It comes with a 7rd mag, but 10rd mags are also available.
Probably the best deal going right now. Short of scoring a used 22, this is about as cheap as your going to find. hell, 22 air rifles are running $130 a pop now a days with the gun crisis.
Old 02-09-2013, 9:44 AM

Check out the Savage Mk II series rifles.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Savage Mk II is a great option. I might buy one of those Marlin's though, good deal.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

A CZ455 American or Varmint would work well. It would be best to handle both and see which one you like better for your needs. The American would be a better choice for field use since it's lighter than the Varmint, but not by much.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Marlin XT-22
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 02-09-2013, 2:55 PM

Having owned both CZ and Savage .22's, pay the extra and get the CZ. -even if it requires waiting until a local shop gets them back in stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 3:24 PM

In your price range, get a CZ. If you want the best, get the CZ. Top 10 spots in the CMP open-sights class rimfire sporter were mostly CZ. If the champs use it, nothing more to say.

@Sando if you're looking for a CZ 455FS, I had to special order mine from Harry Kashiwabara at HMK Enterprises. He's got fair prices for fees and deals wholesale with Davidson's or Lipsey's, so he gets guns for cheaper. Even before the scare FS models were impossible to find at any LGS in the SoCal area. I ordered mine last year though, so I'm not sure if any will be in stock with the wholesalers.
Old 02-09-2013, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a big fan of the Ruger 77/22. I would never sell mine. I'm sure they can be ordered, they are not that popular due to the price. Savage has some nice models also, known to be accurate. I agree with Sholling, a red dot is a waste but a nice 6 power is just about right for everything.
Old 02-09-2013, 4:08 PM

I might as well jump on the CZ bandwagon, mostly because I got mine out of jail today. The 455 convertible is nice. I plan to buy the .17 barrel soon. Retail on the new barrel set is $129.00. Can't buy another rifle for that.
Old 02-09-2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteel View Post
^^^ THIS
Old 02-09-2013, 5:34 PM

I owned a Savage MkII BTVS, and upgraded to a CZ. I would have recommended the Savage myself but the OP's budget is for a 77/22 (~$650.00), hence the recommendation for a higher end gun. I would have to agree that for its class (entry-level bolt action), the Savage is darned near untouchable. Perhaps OP could get a Savage, and use the remaining funds to buy a really, really nice piece of glass.
Old 02-09-2013, 6:29 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I second a savage mk II. They are great rifles for the price and you'll have money left over for a nice optic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've decided I want the CZ 455 FS, a Mannlicher Stock, 20.7" bbl with sights.
Now to find one in the San Gabriel Valley.

Why such a shortage of guns that seem very unlikely to be on any new restrictions??

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM

Excellent. Same choice that I made.

It sports Brno Match target sights from Brnoman over at Rimfire Central and a YoDave trigger kit. If you plan on using a scope the CZ uses an 11mm scope base not Weaver or Picatinny, but I would try the iron sights first. Mmmmmm... irons.

Of the two wholesalers I mentioned earlier, Davidson's is currently out of stock:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=90275

And Lipsey's is unknown (but probably OOS as well):

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=CZ02105

For Davidson's, you can sign up for an email alert that will notify you if it comes back in stock. Then have your FFL of choice on speed dial to place your order.

Harry Kashiwabara is also right at your doorstep in the SG Valley, and he's an awesome kitchen FFL. He ordered my CZ for me. If you can't find anything local, then I would go with him.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hmk-enterprises-san-gabriel

I bought mine from Lipsey's. Davidson's charges $15.00 more than Lipsey's the last time I checked, but they have a hassle-free warranty policy where they give you a replacement gun so you don't have to deal with the manufacturer. CZ has a stellar reputation in the service dept., so I opted for the cheaper price. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 02-10-2013, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejake View Post
Why such a shortage of guns that seem very unlikely to be on any new restrictions??
It's pretty wild...my local shops can't even keep 12ga field load bulk packs in stock.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 02-12-2013, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteel View Post
\ i have a savage FV. i do not consider myself a great shot. but my FV with a 70 dollar scope shoots amazing. i mean i think i could shoot novice competition with it. i think i paid under 300 for it heavy barrel and all. very happy with the quality.
Old 02-12-2013, 8:45 PM

I hear great things about the Marlin XTs ... i'm sure they'd be a fine choice if you can find one, here's their home page for reference... Marlin XT-22

ATI Ruger 10/22 Fiberforce Stock
Nikon ProStaff 2-7 x 32 Scope
Old 02-12-2013, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Marlin XT-22 sold out at Turners btw.. The $179 rifle they advertised this week...GONE!

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 02-12-2013, 9:05 PM

I bought a Savage MkII FVT , has a sweet match trigger. Somewhere in the range of $350-400 shipped bought it about a year ago, love it....

Try Bradley at BKARMS.net. he deals from his home and will ship to California.

Old 02-12-2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingdaotze View Post
Excellent. Same choice that I made.

It sports Brno Match target sights from Brnoman over at Rimfire Central and a YoDave trigger kit. If you plan on using a scope the CZ uses an 11mm scope base not Weaver or Picatinny, but I would try the iron sights first. Mmmmmm... irons.

Of the two wholesalers I mentioned earlier, Davidson's is currently out of stock:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=90275

And Lipsey's is unknown (but probably OOS as well):

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=CZ02105

For Davidson's, you can sign up for an email alert that will notify you if it comes back in stock. Then have your FFL of choice on speed dial to place your order.

Harry Kashiwabara is also right at your doorstep in the SG Valley, and he's an awesome kitchen FFL. He ordered my CZ for me. If you can't find anything local, then I would go with him.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hmk-enterprises-san-gabriel

I bought mine from Lipsey's. Davidson's charges $15.00 more than Lipsey's the last time I checked, but they have a hassle-free warranty policy where they give you a replacement gun so you don't have to deal with the manufacturer. CZ has a stellar reputation in the service dept., so I opted for the cheaper price. Good luck on your hunt!
That's a sweet looking .22!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a tip...dicks in Oxnard has a new Savage MKII TR IN 22 lr with desert digital camo tacticool stock. Price is $450. It's frik'n sexy!

I didn't buy it because I already have a scoped target 22. But be warned, dicks gun handling policy is rediculous so expect to waste lots of time for them to triple check everything and then the store manager has to check everything "one last time"! They photocopy the manuals for their record, even cable locked my friends rifle before they gave it to him.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

what about the marlin xt? IDK if it has a bull barrel or not, but it seems like a good gun
Acts 2:38
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

OP is getting (or has already gotten) a CZ, but the XT is available with a bull barrel.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Both Savage and Marlin make nice bolt action .22s. Probably cost you less than the Ruger too.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 02-13-2013, 4:24 PM

Anyone can find a Marlin XT-22 in Norcal nowadays ?
Old 02-13-2013, 8:05 PM

Since the OP has decided on what he wants.

Quick question for you guys. Marlin XT-22 or Marlin 60?

Both of my buds have Model 60s, eats all sorts of Ammo and are reliable as heck. Keep in mind they never clean their guns. Ever.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post

Both of my buds have Model 60s, eats all sorts of Ammo and are reliable as heck. Keep in mind they never clean their guns. Ever.
Really depends on what you want. Model 60 is one of those "classics" that are a fun way to run through 500 rounds of .22 real fast. Personally, however, I find bolt-action 22s have a certain innate dignity about them. By slowing you down, these can teach you more about shooting and keep ammo costs much lower than the bang-bang-bang guns. Accuracy wise, the M60 is actually quite a good shooter and I suspect that the only big difference is that the XT-22 has a significantly better trigger.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM

CZ +1
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM

I have both a marlin 795 and the xt- 22 I find I'm more accurate with the bolt action. But when you just want to blow off a few hundred rounds to release stress the 795 is my choice. Either gun will pick off 410 shotgun shells reliably at 50 yds
“Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
– Thomas Jefferson
Current list:
Marlin 795 , Marlin XT-22ro , Ria 1911 tactical ,Phoenix arms hp-22a , Savage axis xp .308, Stevens 320 12ga. Type 56 sks
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post

I have two XT-22s, a 60 and a 795. It really depends what you want to do with it.

XT-22- Bolt action with a nice adjustable trigger
60- tube fed so over 10 rounds at a time
795- magazine fed 60 (roughly speaking)

Most of the Marlin magazines will also interchange between the XT and 795.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 AM

1 word: Anschutz 1712

FOR SALE-> STEEL PEPPER POPPER TARGETS

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2013, 2:19 AM

CZ 455FS in stock here.

http://www.jgsales.com/cz-model-455f....-p-58469.html